Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

In any other instance I would agree and would have a problem with this. The way i see it is that JJ is trying to save both his and Gus's job. I would normally agree that it should be up to the HC to select who he wants. However, i think JJ and whoever the others may be feel like we can't waste another year with the talent we have on this team. With JS we have a great chance to be in the hunt for the playoffs if we can fix our offense. I hope the powers that be win this tug-of-war if it leads to an OC that doesn't have close ties to Gus and it makes him hand over a little more power regarding the offense. And that's saying a lot b/c i'd love for JJ to be fired tomorrow but if we can get a good OC i don't want the talent we have to go wasted yet another year. 

Its def a damned if we do damned if we don't situation. You do not want to waste stidham and his potential but it also will suck to have gus stick around longer because a 8-5 season will always be close unless he does not have a star qb.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish they would ban that dude and every AU fan would stop reading his crap. 

Maybe he should cover Al. He can write a piece about how Saban screwed bama by firing Kiffen a week before the game. Then he would have to be careful walking up stairs because NOBODY in this state will listen to people bash their beloved tide.

but it is ok to Bash AU time and again. It drives me crazy. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

gus would prefer it if all his offensive staff were only guys who played under him or coached for him. 

So how do you feel about Gus wanting one of the Briles as his OC but was told no...it's been said by a few with connects this is what something he wanted..Neither of them played or coached under him....based on your post is it true he never considered Kendall or possibly Art as his OC?

Just now, PoetTiger said:

So how do you feel about Gus wanting one of the Briles as his OC but was told no...it's been said by a few with connects this is what something he wanted..Neither of them played or coached under him....based on your post is it true he never considered Kendall or possibly Art as his OC?

exception not the rule maybe? what do you think? seriously I am really asking. It really is a outlier.

So, with all the negative vibes going around I wanted to ask this. At this point, what are the Good, Bad, and ugly  possibilities? Ya, spaghetti western night.

good- Riley?

Bad- A Briles?

Ugly- Hand ? 

3 hours ago, autigeremt said:

Then fire him! It's BS to expect a HC to let non-football power brokers make hiring decisions when they couldn't coach their ass out of a phone booth. I'm not defending Gus but this expectation makes zero sense.

Agree but also disagree. I don't think JJ can survive letting Gus go and keeping his job. I think this is why it's playing out like this. I agree that we shouldn't have to pay a HC this much just to "monitor" the OC that our AD forced him to hire but yet again i'll say...Gus has created this situation so he has to deal with it. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

FOR ONCE I am with JJ. It pains me to admit this. If Gus is that freaking stubborn that he does not want to hire the best possible coaches across the board (not just this OC hire) then he is putting his selfish stubborn ways ahead of whats best for Auburn then that is a fireable offense.  I mean Chip Lindsey and some dude I have never heard of from nc state those were his first 2 choices? Holy hell that is awful. Just cut our losses and can him now. They are just delaying the inevitable.  Having said all that if JJ would just hire a legitimate proven head coach and not just keep settling for little puppets he thinks he can control we wouldn't be in this mess to begin with. He puts more stock in to hiring a proven commodity for a coordinator than he does a head coach. If we had the right head coach these hires we would not sweat because there is total trust in the captain of the ship. But since its Gus who has lost the confidence of a lot of people it seems like then there is extra emphasis on hiring a really good OC who in theory can help gus get out of his own way because the man is stubborn and refuses to change.

Never thought I'd be in agreement with JJ but i 100% agree with this message. Gus has no one to fault for this but himself if indeed this is true. 

9 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Never thought I'd be in agreement with JJ but i 100% agree with this message. Gus has no one to fault for this but himself if indeed this is true. 

its a horrible predicament to be in isn't it?

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Its def a damned if we do damned if we don't situation. You do not want to waste stidham and his potential but it also will suck to have gus stick around longer because a 8-5 season will always be close unless he does not have a star qb.

That is very true. That's what concerns me about Gus in general though. Especially since he's having to depend on transfer QBs for great success. That's simply not a recipe for success as a program. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

its a horrible predicament to be in isn't it?

It is. At this point my hope is that PTB can make sure we get a good OC and he's able to modify the offense that leads to great success next season and Gus will have no choice but to accept it going forward. If he still doesn't like it...he can gladly move on to other opportunities. I just can't understand why a HC wouldn't want the best for his team though. 

This will not be the first time that the PTB has had to step in and force Gus's hand so to speak. After the Clemson game...why should higher ups have to tell you it's probably not a good idea to use the same game plan ever again in your coaching career? He had the audacity to say to the media he planned on doing it again next game. If true, the PTB shouldn't have to step in and tell HC that! 

It's so frustrating with Gus b/c i feel like he's fully capable of being a top HC in CFB if he just learns to get out of his own fricking head and stubbornness. It just boggles my mind how someone who is highly capable of being very smart and successful can be so dumb and not understand the error of their ways and make corrections accordingly. I think a poster said it best several pages ago that if Gus fails at Auburn and has time to sit back and evaluate things he's going to have a lot of regret. And i mean a lot of regret. 

12 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

It is. At this point my hope is that PTB can make sure we get a good OC and he's able to modify the offense that leads to great success next season and Gus will have no choice but to accept it going forward. If he still doesn't like it...he can gladly move on to other opportunities. I just can't understand why a HC wouldn't want the best for his team though. 

This will not be the first time that the PTB has had to step in and force Gus's hand so to speak. After the Clemson game...why should higher ups have to tell you it's probably not a good idea to use the same game plan ever again in your coaching career? He had the audacity to say to the media he planned on doing it again next game. If true, the PTB shouldn't have to step in and tell HC that! 

It's so frustrating with Gus b/c i feel like he's fully capable of being a top HC in CFB if he just learns to get out of his own fricking head and stubbornness. It just boggles my mind how someone who is highly capable of being very smart and successful can be so dumb and not understand the error of their ways and make corrections accordingly. I think a poster said it best several pages ago that if Gus fails at Auburn and has time to sit back and evaluate things he's going to have a lot of regret. And i mean a lot of regret. 

Spot the heck on. I just nodded my head the whole time reading this. He is hitting the chip kelly wall. Both rather be stubborn and run their "system" that worked in the past rather than evolve and ya know WIN GAMES!!!

9 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I sure hope Auburn doesn't turn into Texas with boosters meddling where they shouldn't.  I would never want to coach there and I truely believe Texas' boosters are the reason Strong did not succeed at Texas.

Let Malzahn make the hire his way.  He has hired quality people so far, so why distrust him?

Texas could take mismanagement, and meddling lessons at Auburn. Been going on for almost as long as I can remember. At least as far back as when Shug retired and his hand picked successor Paul Davis was passed over for Doug Barfield.

7 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

That "journalist" will do anything to tear down AU. He hates AU. I think he is stuck covering AU and Gus and he is bitter. Do not listen to that hack. 

Crepehead was brought to Alabama by the Montgomery Advertiser to replace Jay Tate. He is a graduate of "The Ohio State". This alone should give y'all a clue. JG/s old blog "The HABOTN" (Hottest Auburn Blog on the Net) was kept running for a bit by an innocent youngster, then when the Crepehead came on the scene he was a jackass and the members of the blog pretty much destroyed his credibility and welcome in the Advertiser coverage area. We couldn't stand the pompous b__turd. He hates the SEC, he hates Auburn more and the feeling is mutual. I was one of those members, and the hardcore members of the old blog have congregated in a new place. Maybe that will give you a little insight to this pompous Yankee.

Gus is screwed either way plan and simple. When he hires an OC not of his liking, there will always be that resentment. Even if they have a miracle season and win a NC, the PTB will have that, we did this for Auburn. 

So if I'm an employer and I'm having to babysit an employee to make sure they're performing their job to standard, said employee will not last long. 

The writing is on the wall. This is what happens when you hire a coach who isn't ready for the job. Im ready for The Bus to roll right out of Auburn. 

Lol what a perceived cluster ****.  Best settle in guys as of now there are few if any good candidates for the  job next season and even less after this mess.

4 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

So if I'm an employer and I'm having to babysit an employee to make sure they're performing their job to standard, said employee will not last long. 

The writing is on the wall. This is what happens when you hire a coach who isn't ready for the job. Im ready for The Bus to roll right out of Auburn. 

i tried to tell ya'll this when he was hired and the whole time that he has been here.....i got attacked unmercifully......now, I TOLD YOU SO, DAMMIT!!!!!!

16 minutes ago, AUTiger2012 said:

Lol what a perceived cluster ****.  Best settle in guys as of now there are few if any good candidates for the  job next season and even less after this mess.

I'm sticking with my original prediction of Hand getting promoted and hiring a qb coach

16 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

i tried to tell ya'll this when he was hired and the whole time that he has been here.....i got attacked unmercifully......now, I TOLD YOU SO, DAMMIT!!!!!!

You don't get the pleasure of telling me I told you so as I don't likely speak for the majority of this board.  In the words of Tony Beets, " Off you go now". 

11 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

I'm sticking with my original prediction of Hand getting promoted and hiring a qb coach

you're probably right.

Archived