Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

9 hours ago, AUwent said:

Hearing CHH is going to be named OC from Rant? If so would Gus just take over the QB position?

If we go 8-4 again Gus has to go, as does JJ. But I'm yearning to hear for a replacement. If we have to fire Gus I hope Sumlin keeps his job. I wouldn't want to compete with TAMU for Chip Kelly.

Doubt it & please don't bring stuff over the the Rant.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, JGLEATON said:

If K Briles was a done deal and Gus #1 choice until PTB meddled... I say let Gus have his first choice, and go all in after K Briles and make him turn us down...

PTB didn't meddle on that. JJ got cold feet.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

people close to gus. jay jacobs people would never want it to get out what its really like at Auburn for the naive. No idea why crepea. obviously these are just my opinions

Or people close to the program who weant pressure on JJ to be gone as @auburnphan  pointed out last night.

35 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

So if I'm an employer and I'm having to babysit an employee to make sure they're performing their job to standard, said employee will not last long. 

The writing is on the wall. This is what happens when you hire a coach who isn't ready for the job. Im ready for The Bus to roll right out of Auburn. 

Babysitting bad, mentoring good. Especially if the mentoring "employer" wrote the book.

The consternation in this thread is crazy. If something needs to be whined about it's the fact everybody on the planet knew Rhett might leave soon and if he did that the Bama boxer sniffing press in this state would be all over an extended OC search. Yet here we are.

The culture in Auburn Football is a disaster and cannot be fixed by a new QB, a new 'offensive system', or another new coordinator.  Those are the same bandaids for a gushing wound we've been trying for years. Three of our last four head coaches: a thirty something 1AA Stamford coach, a 5-19 Iow State coach, and a guy with one year head coaching experience at a SunBelt school. Our last two ADs were homegrown guys who have virtually no life or work experience outside of Auburn. And the PTB apparently like it this way. 

There's a huge cultural problem in an organization that is equally capable of the spectacular and dismal, and mired in mostly mediocre. Go look up the resumes of the ADs at Stanford, Clemson, and Michigan. They have true executive level resumes. Multiple life, educational, and professional accomplishments and perspectives. We are ran by a small group of insecure good ole boys stuck in a 1950s mindset. The only way I see it changing is a superb University Presodent who identifies the issue and cleans house, or a legion of disgruntled fans and donors starting an organized coup. It is sad because I love AUwith all my heart and know we have the worlds greatest fans. We are capable of so much more. WDE always, though. 

Some of you have literally confused the hell out of me. First some are mad at JJ or someone for not letting Gus hire a Briles..pick which one Kendall or Art. The picture had been painted all season by "sources" this is who Gus wanted and it was inevitable he (Kendall) would be here with Stidham. Some went as far to say Kendall or Art may save Gus's job. Yet you guys knew this is who Gus wanted but the AU admin did not. Now keep in mind Gus was already told or suggested to move Lashlee on or reassign him. He left. So after Lash leaves JJ says hire anyone you want but Briles or his kid. But wait a minute Gus it can't be someone you know or from your pedigree. Here at Auburn we hate yes men even though many of us are yes men ourselves ..looking at you Jay Jacobs..On the second hand just let us (PTB) tell you who to hire. We don't like the fact that the offense looked putrid when SW and KAM got hurt. Oh disregard we lead the league and was top 30 in NCAA in rushing. Your offense is broken and it our responsibility to Auburn and its fans to fix it. Not yours. We don't trust you sir. You are too stubborn. We feel we are better at choosing an OC than you. So kick rocks with your choices. There is another group that says he will only hire one of his HS buddies even though I don't see where he has ever hired a HS coach for a major position at anytime. My head hurts.

10 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Question? How do you no improvement offense guys think the season would have played out with a healthy Pettway and Sean? Was the offense not moving right along up into those guys got hurt? Bammers are whining the natty slipped from them because Bo S got hurt..you don't think the injury return from Mike Williams and the suspension return of Cain did not help Clemson...does Bama get as far without Hurts? He won a few games for Bama with his legs alone...just wanna know how you guys think the season and offense would have fared if Bubba and saw did not get hurt?

Let me type this slowly for you. Yes we did a little better once Gus turned things over to Rhett. But the fact that SW went down with injury is actually the point. Go back and read all the post before the season on here. Most everyone doubted SW's ability to stay healthy at this level. So what happened he was injured not once but twice more. Did Gus not see what we saw. Not having a viable backup for the second season in a row, or at least one he trusted to throw the ball is his fault. Folks this season happened just like most people that actually looked at it in August said it would. We appeared to finish better only because this was the worst showing for the SEC as a whole ever. Remember we went to the  Sugar bowl with a 8-4 record . there were another 3 or 4 teams in the SEC with comparable records. The only thing that got us the SB rather than the Belk bowl was because the CPF ranked us a little higher than the others, not because we earned it. And the turds didn't lose cause BO went down, their offense sucked all year with JH at QB. I bet you money he won't be their starter next year.

14 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Some of you have literally confused the hell out of me. First some are mad at JJ or someone for not letting Gus hire a Briles..pick which one Kendall or Art. The picture had been painted all season by "sources" this is who Gus wanted and it was inevitable he (Kendall) would be here with Stidham. Some went as far to say Kendall or Art may save Gus's job. Yet you guys knew this is who Gus wanted but the AU admin did not. Now keep in mind Gus was already told or suggested to move Lashlee on or reassign him. He left. So after Lash leaves JJ says hire anyone you want but Briles or his kid. But wait a minute Gus it can't be someone you know or from your pedigree. Here at Auburn we hate yes men even though many of us are yes men ourselves ..looking at you Jay Jacobs..On the second hand just let us (PTB) tell you who to hire. We don't like the fact that the offense looked putrid when SW and KAM got hurt. Oh disregard we lead the league and was top 30 in NCAA in rushing. Your offense is broken and it our responsibility to Auburn and its fans to fix it. Not yours. We don't trust you sir. You are too stubborn. We feel we are better at choosing an OC than you. So kick rocks with your choices. There is another group that says he will only hire one of his HS buddies even though I don't see where he has ever hired a HS coach for a major position at anytime. My head hurts.

That just about sums it up. Good post, it is tough being an AU fan

38 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

So if I'm an employer and I'm having to babysit an employee to make sure they're performing their job to standard, said employee will not last long. 

The writing is on the wall. This is what happens when you hire a coach who isn't ready for the job. Im ready for The Bus to roll right out of Auburn. 

I'm not so sure that analogy works in this case.  These people highly paid, management level professionals.  It should not be too much to ask for them to be able to collaborate and reach a consensus.  

This sounds more like politics, perceptions, and egos at work.  Funny how those things go away when an organization is achieving goals.

I never wanted to hire Petrino.  IMO, his conduct was not worthy of being the face of the Auburn football program.  However, if Briles is by far the best candidate for OC, I think he should be hired.  He will not be the face of the program, he will not be ultimately responsible for the players (on and off the field), and the perception of hiring someone "questionable" will quickly turn into giving a worthy person a second chance if all goes well.

I'm not saying that character doesn't count.  I saying that character is dictated from the top down.  No way I would hire Briles as HC but, as OC, barring some incriminating information I don't know about, I say hire him,,,,quickly.

18 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The culture in Auburn Football is a disaster and cannot be fixed by a new QB, a new 'offensive system', or another new coordinator.  Those are the same bandaids for a gushing wound we've been trying for years. Three of our last four head coaches: a thirty something 1AA Stamford coach, a 5-19 Iow State coach, and a guy with one year head coaching experience at a SunBelt school. Our last two ADs were homegrown guys who have virtually no life or work experience outside of Auburn. And the PTB apparently like it this way. 

There's a huge cultural problem in an organization that is equally capable of the spectacular and dismal, and mired in mostly mediocre. Go look up the resumes of the ADs at Stanford, Clemson, and Michigan. They have true executive level resumes. Multiple life, educational, and professional accomplishments and perspectives. We are ran by a small group of insecure good ole boys stuck in a 1950s mindset. The only way I see it changing is a superb University Presodent who identifies the issue and cleans house, or a legion of disgruntled fans and donors starting an organized coup. It is sad because I love AUwith all my heart and know we have the worlds greatest fans. We are capable of so much more. WDE always, though. 

And the fact that all three of the coaches you mentioned came in and won immediately helped mask the fact that they weren't ready for primetime. Gus's early success looked like it had substance considering that he was part of the 2010 season too. 

Just now, gr82be said:

And the fact that all three of the coaches you mentioned came in and won immediately helped mask the fact that they weren't ready for primetime. Gus's early success looked like it had substance considering that he was part of the 2010 season too. 

Agreed. It has also programmed us to seek quick fixes. We need strong leadership to build us into an organization that can have long term sustainable excellence and stability. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Maybe they were all ready?  Maybe something changed?  What is the constant in this equation?

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Let me type this slowly for you. Yes we did a little better once Gus turned things over to Rhett. But the fact that SW went down with injury is actually the point. Go back and read all the post before the season on here. Most everyone doubted SW's ability to stay healthy at this level. So what happened he was injured not once but twice more. Did Gus not see what we saw. Not having a viable backup for the second season in a row, or at least one he trusted to throw the ball is his fault. Folks this season happened just like most people that actually looked at it in August said it would. We appeared to finish better only because this was the worst showing for the SEC as a whole ever. Remember we went to the  Sugar bowl with a 8-4 record . there were another 3 or 4 teams in the SEC with comparable records. The only thing that got us the SB rather than the Belk bowl was because the CPF ranked us a little higher than the others, not because we earned it. And the turds didn't lose cause BO went down, their offense sucked all year with JH at QB. I bet you money he won't be their starter next year.

Hurts will be the starter..don't think Bama has any QBs left. And their offense did not suck all year. What let them down in the title game was their defense. Whether or not the SEC was up or down Auburn was still the second best team. Which warrants a Sugar Bowl bid. They rolled on Franklin and lost but the biggest loss was Jeremy. He was supposed to be starting this season not Sean. Jeremy was just not ready for big time ball, not as the starter anyway. I don't know if Gus or Rhett saw it, did his problems manifest in practice or did he just lose it against Louisville and never got it back. You miss on the QB spot and you can set your team back a season or two. Where I fault Gus at is the fact none his QBs matched, they all were different and required unique schemes to be successful. But looking at the QBs he has now in Jarrett, Woody, Gatewood, and the new kid from Georgia they are all more like in skill set vs JJ, Franklin and White. The offense is fine and clicks pretty well with a QB...so I am interested to see what it looks like in 2017.

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Agreed. It has also programmed us to seek quick fixes. We need strong leadership to build us into an organization that can have long term sustainable excellence and stability. 

Strong leadership is the key, however good luck finding someone who will step into the environment that is currently AU.

12 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Maybe they were all ready?  Maybe something changed?  What is the constant in this equation?

Point taken though Housel hired the first two so it can't be just JJ. That is not meant to defend JJ however. I'm not a fan of his at this point. 

24 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Strong leadership is the key, however good luck finding someone who will step into the environment that is currently AU.

Scott Etheridge would & do a good job IMO. His Business bio

30 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:The culture in Auburn Football is a disaster and cannot be fixed by a new QB, a new 'offensive system', or another new coordinator.  Those are the same bandaids for a gushing wound we've been trying for years. Three of our last four head coaches: a thirty something 1AA Stamford coach, a 5-19 Iow State coach, and a guy with one year head coaching experience at a SunBelt school. Our last two ADs were homegrown guys who have virtually no life or work experience outside of Auburn. And the PTB apparently like it this way. 

And there lies the true problem.  As long as this culture is allowed to exist, the cycle of insanity will continue.  We've seen this before and we know how it will end.  I fully expect that we will have a new football coach a year from now and the curtain will be raised for the next clown show.  As long as the masses continue to support this by showing up on Saturdays and until there's a cultural change with the power brokers I don't expect anything to change.  

I won't deign to cut and paste the Al.com comment (which I'd sworn off from reading) on the Al.com article to which some are referring (which I'd sworn off from reading)...but I do believe this comment nails it.  

"It's designed to hurt Auburn with recruiting."  

Motive/spin matters, consider the source, and the best I can do is stay positive, keep away from the ledge and encourage others to do so, remind us all that recruits if no one else but us read message boards, and know that only at Alabama CURRENTLY does this "meddling" situation not occur.  And that, plus plenty else, can change in time there.

:wareagle:

50 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

This! The people that think that we are going to replace Gus with a proven winner have bumped their heads! When have we ever hired a proven coach???? Doug Barfield, Pat Dye, Terry Bowden, Tommy Tubberville, Gene Chizik and Gus were all up and comers. We will spend a lot of money, further develop our perceived reputation as a school that is always looking over their shoulders across the state and have an over meddling PTB group. It seems to me that the PTB like nothing more than their power. They want a new toy every few years and it doesn't matter what it costs. Auburn's reputation be damned!

It's my opinion that Gus should have pushed Rhett out last year and certainly after this year, but now that he is gone they need to get out of the way and let the man coach. I have often wondered why Gus chose Ellis to be his DC, but now I'm beginning to think that it wasn't Gus's idea. It seems that the puppet masters want our HC to does as they want and not as he sees fit. I see all the time on this board that Gus is stubborn. I have never met the man so I take it at face value. However, I have also wondered if his stubbornness was that he doesn't do as others tell him to. I'm not sure if it's Dye or the millionaires, either way we are going to have these same people making the next failed decision on the coach and will have their rich fingers in the way at my Alma Mater. I realize we need their money, but we also need their patience. Gus has built a team, sans a QB, that was ready to compete for the SEC title last year. We should be loaded next year. Instead of riding that waive and seeing what is about to happen, it seems that their best idea is to obstruct next season so that they will have a supposed reason to get rid of the guy that won't do as they tell him to and the guy that was their yes man AD to begin with. 

15 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I won't deign to cut and paste the Al.com comment (which I'd sworn off from reading) on the Al.com article to which some are referring (which I'd sworn off from reading)...but I do believe this comment nails it.  

"It's designed to hurt Auburn with recruiting."  

Well if that's the motive it's a poor one since the hay is in the barn on offense in this class. We will sign all the guys committed on offense now the staff wants & there are only 2 spots left for offense in the class. Chase Lasater will take 1 regardless & the other will be an OL when Coach Hand decides on the last 1 he wants. It does not affect 2018 kids as the staff can only say hello to them on visits off campus right now.

35 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Scott Etheridge would & do a good job IMO. His Business bio

His resume' does look like he has the quailifications required for the job.  As an added bonus, he doesn't look like a goober, so Gwill and Jeff will be pleased.  Can he recruit?

Question; in your opinion, is Auburn in a perfect storm type of scenario with a University President that will retire next year and tells JJ just don't pi$$ too many booster off until I retire?  And JJ trying to keep his job by listening to anybody that he feels can save that job?

8 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree but also disagree. I don't think JJ can survive letting Gus go and keeping his job. I think this is why it's playing out like this. I agree that we shouldn't have to pay a HC this much just to "monitor" the OC that our AD forced him to hire but yet again i'll say...Gus has created this situation so he has to deal with it. 

Actually JJ created this mess if you want to be brutally honest. His hands are at the root of the matter.

Archived