Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, around4ever said:

He seems to be happy at ASU.  Would he leave for the Auburn OC job after turning down the USM HC job?

Name was all over the place for a few HC openings a mi the ago. Lateral move as OC might not interest him, but he is from AL and might think OC in SEC is a better ladder.

2 minutes ago, around4ever said:

He seems to be happy at ASU.  Would he leave for the Auburn OC job after turning down the USM HC job?

Kodi will have to recruit him, but I see him coming back South

Good luck Rhett! I honestly mean this. You did a good job and I hope that you will soon get a HC somewhere down the line. I know I have had a love/hate relationship with you, of which I can say many of us did. God Bless you and your family, and get some wool socks and cold weather gear.

Godspeed,

Doc

5 minutes ago, metafour said:

Eli Drinkwitz is likely another name to watch.

The announcers were not exactly praising his play calling abilities during the bowl game, saying that fans were left scratching their heads at times due to play calls during the season. 

Good luck to Rhett and his family.  He was nothing but loyal and dedicated to Auburn.  I feel for these coaches who have strong friendships.  It has to be difficult for both Gus and Rhett to part ways.  I have a feeling that Rhett will do a great job at UConn.  I wish him all the best.  Maybe he will develop into an amazing head coach and come back to Auburn one day.  That would be a cool story.  

We need to empty out the bank account and get Lincoln Riley aboard. Give the man a 3 year guaranteed contract for $1.5 million regardless if Gus is here after 2017.

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Auburn might pay better... and SEC OC might be a shorter path to a better HC position.

12 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

So he is taking a HC job for $150,000 less than what he is making. I really doubt this was his decision.

Not taking the HC job at UCONN, He's taking the OC job there.

I just wanna make sure we don't get a "yes" man and get someone who implements their offense. Gus needs to keep his hands off. Chip Lindsey is ok but doesn't have a ton of experience. I'd rather a seasoned OC than a young up and comer. If this was the end of 2017 I'd say Art Briles but I'm afraid his recent fiasco keeps him away unfortunately. I honestly think though he'd be the best man for the job. I know we pride ourselves on running a clean program and being family so I doubt the PTB would allow him to be hired. Interested to see how this plays out though. 

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Question 1 is of course who our new OC will be, but then there's question 2, will he have any say in his staff?

He should. Hire an OC and let his do what he's hired for. What we have been doing isn't working.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Auburn might pay better... and SEC OC might be a shorter path to a better HC position.

Lindsey is currently earning $650K at ASU

Archived