Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Imagine you were an OC and saw Rhett take same position for almost half the salary at UConn. Gus has a well deserved reputation for being stubborn and unwilling to make changes to what he thinks still works offensively. The school president is on his way out the door and I'm sure word is out on working for JJ. Other than a fat check there's not a lot here to make someone with options as an OC think this would be a good career move. You could be easily be looking at a 1 year gig and then be looking for a new job for 2018.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone just wake me up when this s*** show ends?

4 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

This might be believable, if Gus were not flying all over the country interviewing people still.

Last I checked he was flying all over the country recruiting.  They only credible story about him interviewing anyone was Yurcich.

3 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Can someone just wake me up when this s*** show ends?

Get comfortable, it could be a long sleep?

3 minutes ago, CR said:

Other than a fat check there's not a lot here to make someone with options as an OC think this would be a good career move. 

Nothing but coaching for an SEC team with a recent history of playing in the National Championship game, who has a solid defense and just landed the #1 juco QB in the country who will be with the team another 2-3 years. Oh yea... and there's the solid tradition of the school backed by being in the top 12 football schools of all time. Plus you get to work directly with one of the most prolific OCs to have ever coached in football... and, last but not least, you also get to live and work in Auburn.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Last I checked he was flying all over the country recruiting.  They only credible story about him interviewing anyone was Yurcich.

You're making too much sense for some of these folks...

Truth is, none of us on here really know what's going on and it seems like some just want to get mad at pure speculation.  Hell, we could have a guy hired for all we know..

11 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I wish we would have had that monkey the last couple of years, especially the Clemson game this year

fg_evil_monkey.jpg

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Nothing but coaching for an SEC team with a recent history of playing in the National Championship game, who has a solid defense and just landed the #1 juco QB in the country who will be with the team another 2-3 years. Oh yea... and there's the solid tradition of the school backed by being in the top 12 football schools of all time. Plus you get to work directly with one of the most prolific OCs to have ever coached in football... and, last but not least, you also get to live and work in Auburn.

tis made me choke on my drink, lol

With friends like these, who needs enemies?You guys are so negative, when in reality, there are very few of you on here that have any factual information to base your "knowlege" on. Geez. The kindergarten teacher in me says "Be patient." and "Be kind." Carry on. Have fun, I guess. I know my opinion won't stop any of the speculation. :-\ A lot of this exact same kind of talk was aimed at Gene Chizik and Gus was the genius. Now Gus is the stubborn and paranoid one?

(That should actually be..."on which to base your knowlege." Sorry grammar police.)

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Well, he is the most prolific in AU history..

Screwing up the last 2 years with bad QB management doesn't change that fact.  He's just been too stubborn to get out of the way and let the ones who actually have time to coach an offense full time do it.  

Hopefully that changes.  If not he will be gone and I am sure he realizes this.  

I am not as connected as I was but you would think Gus or JJ would be more pro-active. Forget they really never made plans for a good back up quarterback ( much less a starter) but not having a short list with feelers out for an OC is another example. Dont tell me that neither Gus nor JJ anticipated Lashlee leaving. You would think behind the scene contacts via discrete sources or agents would have been in place before Lashlee's announcement / departure. Time should have already been spent getting the best OC long before now.

4 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Why... did you forget that Gus was, infact, one of the most prolific OCs in college football history, or are you one of those in denial because we had a couple of rough years with him as HC?

7 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterlin_Gilbert

Look at his coaching history to the right because you know...Wikipedia is always right. :)

The other day 2-3 coaches had AU in their wiki's.

Though, this is the first one that shows AU so prominently.

Don't tease me.  ...he's been my pick for a couple days.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Sunshine on my shoulder makes me happy.......keep on pumping lion......If Gus is still on the plains this time next year then we'll know  that all is well....... Maybe, hopefully......

23 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

It will be sterling silver no matter who it is......

If that's not a hint as to who our new OC is, then I need to go back to school and take a course in..'How to know what is right in front of your face...' :)

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Though, this is the first one that shows AU so prominently.

Not the first... I've seen that title on several Wiki profiles over the past 2 weeks.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

Not the first... I've seen that title on several Wiki profiles over the past 2 weeks.

I've seen it in their "history". First one I've seen as "current status".

I think any knucklehead can "update" a wiki though, so who knows...

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Why... did you forget that Gus was, infact, one of the most prolific OCs in college football history, or are you one of those in denial because we had a couple of rough years with him as HC?

Gus has been a good/great OC, but one of the most prolific in college football history for christ sake get a grip.   

Just now, AUsince72 said:

I've seen it in their "history". First one I've seen as "current status".

I think any knucklehead can "update" a wiki though, so who knows...

Yup... some knucklehead anonymously updated that profile a couple of hours ago.  Can't tell who it was because they hid their identity, so all it shows is an IP.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

If that's not a hint as to who our new OC is, then I need to go back to school and take a course in..'How to know what is right in front of your face...' :)

I wish...hope...wish...hope... 

26 minutes ago, CR said:

Imagine you were an OC and saw Rhett take same position for almost half the salary at UConn. Gus has a well deserved reputation for being stubborn and unwilling to make changes to what he thinks still works offensively. The school president is on his way out the door and I'm sure word is out on working for JJ. Other than a fat check there's not a lot here to make someone with options as an OC think this would be a good career move. You could be easily be looking at a 1 year gig and then be looking for a new job for 2018.

And you never know you could end up being the next head coach at AU if you do a good job.

Archived