Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

58 minutes ago, Gr82batigr said:

What's the scoop on Randy Sanders, co-offensive coordinator, FSU?  Former SEC QB and current QB coach fo D. Francois.  Coached Winston in 2013.  Coached Reggie Cobb at U.K.  2 National Championships with UT and FSU.  Early 50's, so may not be looking to jump to a HC position any time soon. Knows the southern landscape. Would he be interested in having the OC position by himself? 

I did not know much about his resume, so I had to go back and read. I would be ECSTATIC with this hire. He fits EVERY mold we're looking for in a QB coach. He has history as a play-caller, to include more of FSU's play calling in 16. AND he was recruiting coordinator at both TN and KY during,  one would argue, each team's heyday. Also have to wonder how pivotal he was in the recruiting of Winston and Francois. My ONLY fear is looking back at last year and seeing how bad trying to poach from FSU came back to look on us. Not saying I am disappointed with the hiring of CKS, I just hated the light we were painted under.  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17469723/randy-sanders-florida-state-excited-starting-deondre-francois

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, AU-Allen said:

I have mentioned him to others on here too. He would be a great hire. The problem is he just took the job last year and is now coaching with his brother. VERY tough pull

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Are you guys just asking rhetorical questions about candidates or are you really asking posters on this board are we considering them. Because if you're asking posters on this board as if they are sitting in meetings and can slide your suggestions in I'm LMAO!

I think most are just questions  with not much else to talk about, obviously nobody has a clue whats going on at this point in time, and they may very well include our coach.

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Are you guys just asking rhetorical questions about candidates or are you really asking posters on this board are we considering them. Because if you're asking posters on this board as if they are sitting in meetings and can slide your suggestions in I'm LMAO!

I think, and I don't wanna speak for others, that fans like to put together their own personal short list. Not necessarily viable candidates, but more coaches that, in their minds, would/could make good candidates. 

24 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What do you suggest we do? It is all just speculation anyways. 

Alright. Good morning Vietnam! What is everyone doing this fine morning? What is Gus doing?

IMO our top candidate right now SHOULD be Sterlin Gilbert. 

Pros:

1. Success everywhere he's been, specifically has shown improvement year after year
  2. Focus on playing fast
  3. Very good at QB evaluation and development
  4. Experience mixing high powered pass/run offense (see Texas's D'onta Foreman this year, over 2000 yds rushing)
  5. Young guy with lots of energy, but has a lot of play calling experience
  6. Coached under Art Briles at Houston in 2005, familiar with his scheme

Cons:

1. Moved to USF this offseason with Charlie Strong, might be tough to pull him away
  2. Could be a HC candidate next year (is that really a bad thing though?)

I can't find anything that suggests he shouldn't be our top target. Can anyone else? 

10 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Pros:

1. Success everywhere he's been, specifically has shown improvement year after year
  2. Focus on playing fast
  4. Experience mixing high powered pass/run offense (see Texas's D'onta Foreman this year, over 2000 yds rushing)

Cons:

1. Moved to USF this offseason with Charlie Strong, might be tough to pull him away

I can't find anything that suggests he shouldn't be our top target. Can anyone else? 

Another Pro:   He recruited Stidham at Texas....knows him pretty well I imagine.

Nothing like setting some offensive records to help get you a HC gig.  Look at Gus' resume.  (That was for Gilbert's ears.)

23 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Pros:

2. Focus on playing fast

Cons:

He's been at the top of my list for awhile now. I think I suggested him back on back 30 or something. lol I agree with you, I think we would've in great shape if we got Sterlin on board!

No one needs to get to worried. Gus already has a fool-proof plan B in place. One of the young GA's has agreed if Gus can not get anyone else, he will take the job and call whatever Gus tells him. He said his selling point to being picked was probably his remark to Gus about how much he admired his play calling especially the FB whirly-bird play. :-)

16 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

He's been at the top of my list for awhile now. I think I suggested him back on back 30 or something. lol I agree with you, I think we would've in great shape if we got Sterlin on board!

I think there might be a small SG fan club starting on this board.  I know I'm one of them...

Credentials wise, he seems to be on par with KB...but with a little more (non-nepotism) experience.

Just now, AUEngineer2016 said:

Don't you tease me like that. 

kkolumbo used to be an Auburn Eagle poster and usually has some pretty good info. Take it for what it is worth.

I think Sterlin Gilbert would be the best possible get out of any candidate we've discussed, other than Lincoln Riley. Even if he did get a HC opportunity soon. He could come in and change our offensive culture quick, sort of like Muschamp did with our defense.  

After a slight disappointment I am interested again and just want to do my part to get this to 100 pages. Ill be the first to admit I know very little about SG. 

9 minutes ago, autigersj said:

kkolumbo used to be an Auburn Eagle poster and usually has some pretty good info. Take it for what it is worth.

yeah, he posts pretty often over on tRant as well. He posted another name over there, but it looks like premium info and I don't want to risk breaking rules by posting it. 

With that said, should anyone go looking for that info, all they would have to do is go to http://www.secrant.com/rant/auburn-sports, click on the "OC search thread" link (pinned post at the top), and go to Page 37. Post was 1/19 at 7:42 AM CST. Username is WareagleKK. And don't forget the first rule of tRant: Don't repost the info from tRant.

Edit: Or just look at the post below me until a mod comes and removes the info :rolleyes:

Sterling Gilbert 

Improved Texas from 92 to 16th nationally in total O 

Bowling green from 44 to 4th 

Tulsa from 101 to 59th 

It's sounding like Gilbert is the guy. 

Supposedly the wait has been on Lincoln Riley to make a decision, it was said Marcello told someone he was offered like 1.4 a year and Gilbert was back up to Riley. Who knows exactly though

3 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Sterling Gilbert 

Improved Texas from 92 to 16th nationally in total O 

Bowling green from 44 to 4th 

Tulsa from 101 to 59th 

It's sounding like Gilbert is the guy. 

Supposedly the wait has been on Lincoln Riley to make a decision, it was said Marcello told someone he was offered like 1.4 a year and Gilbert was back up to Riley. Who knows exactly though

humm

If y'all keep referring to him as 'Sterling Gilbert' rather than his given name of 'Sterlin Gilbert', you're gonna jinx the deal.  That's what happened with Mike Yurcich.  Too many people on here kept referring him as 'Yurich', and he got mad and decided to stay in Stillwater.

;)

4 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

yeah, he posts pretty often over on tRant as well. He posted another name over there, but it looks like premium info and I don't want to risk breaking rules by posting it. 

With that said, should anyone go looking for that info, all they would have to do is go to http://www.secrant.com/rant/auburn-sports, click on the "OC search thread" link (pinned post at the top), and go to Page 37. Post was 1/19 at 7:42 AM CST. Username is WareagleKK. 

Yeah, could all just be message board speak, like anywhere else, but if what some over there say is legit, peoples' opinions on Gus' search might change drastically ( for the better, I mean).

Personally I like Gilbert....but I really like Riley's offense as well. That said I would rather have Gilbert because I "believe" it would continue to utilize the downhill style of the run game but vastly improve the passing game in a way that best suits the talent we have right now.

Archived