Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

Just heard that Mazzone has only produced 1 top 20 offense in his career. 

I make a motion that we withdraw him from further consideration. 

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

If it were leaked that we were going to hire Nall every AU board would be a madhouse of EPIC proportions. hahaha

Actually I'd be relieved.

Cuz at least then I'd realize it's all just a kooky gag and relax a little.

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Does anyone have any current day negative things regarding Mazzone as an OC?

The only negative I have is that he's done absolutely nothing to show that he would be an upgrade.  He had a senior QB and two top receivers at A&M last year and barely outperformed an Auburn offense, under Gus/Rhett, with a red shirt sophomore QB and freshman receivers, that couldn't move the ball at all for a couple of games.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The only negative I have is that he's done absolutely nothing to show that he would be an upgrade.  He had a senior QB and two top receivers at A&M last year and barely outperformed an Auburn offense, under Gus/Rhett, with a red shirt sophomore QB and freshman receivers, that couldn't move the ball at all for a couple of games.

As I said in another post, he screams "meh".  You do not pay a 7 figure buyout for a coordinator that screams "meh".

33 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

This is a classic Malzahn smokescreen. Give the media something to talk about while you are finalizing a deal with the real candidate. 

Malzahn is so tight lipped with his hires that I would not expect anything legitimate to be leaked unless a deal was in place. I'd bet my house that its anybody else but Mazzonne. 

This. It could be either great or horrible for us but I do believe your right. Seems like every malzahn hire goes down this route as well.

24 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

You're probably right about the smokescreen. I would like to see him reach into the pro ranks and get a real OC.

He doesn't meet all (or even most) of the criteria, but Ken Dorsey is interviewing for the Bills OC position.

If he's at that point in his career he might step down to college.  He's fairly young (35).  Could help south Florida and North Carolina recruiting.

He's been working with Cam as a private coach, offensive analyst and QB coach his entire time in the NFL, so I'm sure he's aware of Auburn and Malzahn.

WDE!

2 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

As I said in another post, he screams "meh".  You do not pay a 7 figure buyout for a coordinator that screams "meh".

I can understand the meh especially with the suspected money that is floating around... but he is an upgrade over CRL who everyone deemed as nothing but a CGM puppet anyway.

Maybe if Mazzone was unemployed and did not require a massive buyout this hire would not be as alarming to me. However, why would AU want to pull an OC from another SEC school that does not seems to want him themselves AND one that requires a large buyout? What is the thinking on this? I hope it does develop into a smoke screen as someone mentioned before. There seems to be way better options out  there. 

2 minutes ago, Joe706 said:

I can understand the meh especially with the suspected money that is floating around... but he is an upgrade over CRL who everyone deemed as nothing but a CGM puppet anyway.

but is he REALLY and upgrade???

3 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Maybe if Mazzone was unemployed and did not require a massive buyout this hire would not be as alarming to me. However, why would AU want to pull an OC from another SEC school that does not seems to want him themselves AND one that requires a large buyout? What is the thinking on this? I hope it does develop into a smoke screen as someone mentioned before. There seems to be way better options out  there. 

So far the rumor mill has hit on all the OCs that gave Kevin Steele fits except for Ole Miss.  Maybe Steele is controlling the search!

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

but is he REALLY and upgrade???

I think with our returning starters he can be... only if he challenges and pushes against the grain and tendencies.

Just now, Joe706 said:

I think with our returning starters he can be... only if he challenges and pushes against the grain and tendencies.

There is no evidence supporting an assertion that he is an upgrade.  As for the second part, there is a right and wrong way to challenge and push against the grain.  Considering that he is a career OC, that has not spent much time in any of his stops, is that a skill he has?  With the experience he has on paper, why is he not aggressively pursued?

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Noel Mazzone isn't leaving his job as Texas A&M offensive coordinator for same job at Auburn, insider tells .

Was just about to post same.  Next man up.

Noel Mazzone isn't leaving his job as Texas A&M offensive coordinator for same job at Auburn, insider tells .

Works for me. 

Just now, auburnphan said:

Now let us just hope that is not a statement akin to Tuberville's pine box at Ole Miss.

Yup... he's our new head coach...

Archived