Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

39 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Was looking for a money gif. Saw this & had to share. This cat knows what's up!

200.gif#13

We should hire this cat and have it to do this to JJ when he wants to spend money unwisely of which is often!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, doc4aday said:

That is after you have drank a 6 pack Sterling Beer! That lake Erie water used to pack!

Heyyyy.. I use to swim in that Erie water many years ago...and i survived. lol. 

I know that most of the folks on here are AU fans and understand how great of a place it is to be, that said lets look from an outside view. What is the plus for someone to take an OC job here at the present. Last few years does have an NC and a 2nd place finish so that is good. The last three years have not been special. These guys read and know that Gus is not in a good position. They just watched Gus's disciple leave due to the frustration and lack of success , and take a lower paying job. So if you are already an OC in D1, do you really want to chance things with a coach that really wants to interfere in the offensive play calling? If you are successful, will you get the credit or will Gus get it? If things fail because Gus won't really relinquish the play calling, will you be the fall guy next year? Anyone we really would want is successful where they are now, I would hope. So do you give up the security for what may be a no win situation? If you are an up and comer do you really want to be involved with a coach that may be gone next year and although you only spent a year with him you will forever be included in his downfall. Really the only folks that might want the job at this point would be a guy looking for his first chance no matter what or a HC in waiting that will spend a year here with plans of moving on next year. Hate it but I am afraid this is where we are at until Gus moves on or finds a way to be successful. WDE

30 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Time to fire up the BBQ.

We are getting our hopes up , don't bring your doom & gloom .

Just now, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If you are a fan of Christmas songs then I guess so.

Yea I kind of like that one " I'm dreaming of an Offensive Coordinator, just like the one the Patriots have" , or something like that.

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Bantered around another msg board by an apparent solid poster saying he has an offer $1.4 mil in the table from AU and HASN'T turned it down yet.

TIFWIW

EDIT: NOT a pay site...Just in case...

Original info came from one. Be careful bringing stuff over from sites like SEC Rant.

Carry on.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You're welcome! Hope you are doing well.

Getting my last treatment as we speak, then I'm done with all this chemo stuff. It made me laugh so well done sir!

29 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Maybe if we can get this to 100 pages of drivel it will collapse under its own weight.  Then maybe we can have a serious thread about the OC search.

Serious discussion without some derailments involving goobers, dogs, JJ bashing, etc.? No chance.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Original info came from one. Be careful bringing stuff over from sites like SEC Rant.

Carry on.

Understood.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Getting my last treatment as we speak, then I'm done with all this chemo stuff. It made me laugh so well done sir!

Good to hear! Made me laugh too.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Getting my last treatment as we speak, then I'm done with all this chemo stuff. 

So you'll be all ready to play on the O-Line for us next year, then?

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Hope you're doing well Maverick.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

So you'll be all ready to play on the O-Line for us next year, then?

Haha I played on the OL in highschool but only due to my strength and ability to pull not due to my size lol. 

27 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I know that most of the folks on here are AU fans and understand how great of a place it is to be, that said lets look from an outside view. What is the plus for someone to take an OC job here at the present. Last few years does have an NC and a 2nd place finish so that is good. The last three years have not been special. These guys read and know that Gus is not in a good position. They just watched Gus's disciple leave due to the frustration and lack of success , and take a lower paying job. So if you are already an OC in D1, do you really want to chance things with a coach that really wants to interfere in the offensive play calling? If you are successful, will you get the credit or will Gus get it? If things fail because Gus won't really relinquish the play calling, will you be the fall guy next year? Anyone we really would want is successful where they are now, I would hope. So do you give up the security for what may be a no win situation? If you are an up and comer do you really want to be involved with a coach that may be gone next year and although you only spent a year with him you will forever be included in his downfall. Really the only folks that might want the job at this point would be a guy looking for his first chance no matter what or a HC in waiting that will spend a year here with plans of moving on next year. Hate it but I am afraid this is where we are at until Gus moves on or finds a way to be successful. WDE

Let's hope that most OCs are confident and don't have the negative thought process that you seem to. You make assumptions in your post. How do we know that Rhett wasn't told to find whatever job he could or he would be demoted? It seems that a lot of people were saying that before, during and after the season. Rhett wasn't going to advance without getting out from under Gus's shadow. I think it was good for both parties and I don't think it was out of frustration. A lot of people were saying that Gus left for ASU for the same reasons. If you are an OC and you light up the scoreboard with the players that we have returning, then a HC job may happen sooner than later. If you are in the coaching profession or any other profession where you have to move for the job, I would assume that you know that your stay may not last long. If they are guaranteed a nice contract, then you are getting paid to take a chance.    

10 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Discuss

Isn't he who Borges replaced?

EDIT: Sorry, I think maybe Petrino replaced him.

Sorta Been there, Done that, isn't it?

15 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

Let's hope that most OCs are confident and don't have the negative thought process that you seem to. You make assumptions in your post. How do we know that Rhett wasn't told to find whatever job he could or he would be demoted? It seems that a lot of people were saying that before, during and after the season. Rhett wasn't going to advance without getting out from under Gus's shadow. I think it was good for both parties and I don't think it was out of frustration. A lot of people were saying that Gus left for ASU for the same reasons. If you are an OC and you light up the scoreboard with the players that we have returning, then a HC job may happen sooner than later. If you are in the coaching profession or any other profession where you have to move for the job, I would assume that you know that your stay may not last long. If they are guaranteed a nice contract, then you are getting paid to take a chance.    

Where did you see me say Rhett was told to find something else. I think Rhett left on his own because he knew it was the only way up for him. Good OCs are going to lok for good jobs. Goods jobs would be like Rhett taking an OC where a new coach was taking over. Another good job would be replacing a OC that took a job as a HC or maybe the NFL. Following an OC that left to take a lesser job for whatever reason is not a good job. And yes every OC out there that is wanting to move up thinks like that. Unlike most folks think , it is not about money or name of the school but about the next step in their career .

Archived