Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

4 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Nooooeellll noeell nooelll nooooeelll... Im tone def

Mazzon

7 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Discuss

No way! Bring Rhett back and give him $700,000.00 If Gus hired Mazzone, he will be fired maybe into 2-3 games like Les was at LSU.  We brought in Al Borges who promptly got us back on track. Hire Al instead of Leo. Leo is not a spread offense guy. Please do not try to justify Leo, there is not enough lead in Lake Erie to even justify this.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Isn't he who Borges replaced? EDIT: Sorry, I think maybe Petrino replaced him?

Sorta Been there, Done that, isn't it?

That has never bothered AU before. We figure if we just keep trying the same ole thing eventually we will get a different result. Don't even pay any attention to that old Einstein feller. LOL

Gus, if you hire Leo, I will not watch or listen to any Auburn games until you are gone and we have brought in a coach who can get the job done. This could be a blessing in disguise and we could hire Lincoln Riley and let him run the show. I know I joke a bit, but this is serious stuff. Gus better get it right. 

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Where did you see me say Rhett was told to find something else. I think Rhett left on his own because he knew it was the only way up for him. Good OCs are going to lok for good jobs. Godds jobs would be like Rhett taking an OC where a new coach was taking over. Another good job would be replacing a OC that took a job as a HC or maybe the NFL. Following an OC that left to take a lesser job for whatever reason is not a good job. And yes every OC out there that is wanting to move up thinks like that. Unlike most folks think , it is not about money or name of the school but about the next step in their career .

You didn't say that Rhett was told to find something else....you said "They just watched Gus's disciple leave due to the frustration and lack of success". That is an assumption. Several insiders have been saying that Rhett has been told for a couple of years to find something and it hasn't happened. It was hinted that there were going to be changes whether he stayed or not. In case you missed it...Dec 28, 2016 - UConn has hired Randy Edsall to return as the team's head football coach...so Rhett is taking an OC where a new coach is taking over.  If you read my post, I indicated that Rhett was taking the next step in his career and didn't leave due to your assumption.

3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

That has never bothered AU before. We figure if we just keep trying the same ole thing eventually we will get a different result. Don't even pay any attention to that old Einstein feller. LOL

This would take "AU connections" to a whole new level.  At least Chiz was a SUCCESSFUL DC during his time here.  Mazzone got run off IIRC.

All of the previously mentioned candidates are better in my opinion then Mazzone.  Since he has left Auburn he has been an OC for offensive minded coaches and still unable to have a dynamic offense in the sense that they were able to score on anyone at anytime.  Sure he'd play some teams he could pile points up against but please say it aint so.  

For God's sake. If Noel is hired, it's safe to say either Gus isn't serious about winning here, or he's just not good at this job. 

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

For God's sake. If Noel is hired, it's safe to say either Gus isn't serious about winning here, or he's just not good at this job. 

I believe he is serious.

So he must just be #2.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If it's Mazzone I'm not sure Gus is the one doing the hiring.  

19 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Discuss

I imagine we did our due diligence . Calling bull crap on hI'm being a leader 

Why would naming Herb and Noel co-cordinators then making them merge the offenses together not work. Isn't that what Gus did with his spread and herb back in the day? Just thinking out loud.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I imagine we did our due diligence . Calling bull crap on hI'm being a leader 

I think I would rather have no OC, than rehire one that was already fired from here over a decade ago.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If it's Mazzone I'm not sure Gus is the one doing the hiring.  

Oh it is Gus alright. He never intended to hire someone to run their offense. He is looking for someone to do his bidding. He wants someone to act like they are calling the plays. Heck what has Mazzone got to lose. It is a paycheck and he is pretty much at the end of his career anyway. In fact it might give him enough time to qualify under the state pension program. Gus has never been serious about this. As I said ( I know some have a reading comprehension problem) I have come to believe that Rhett himself decided to leave because he saw life under Gus as a dead end street. Gus would have kept him as long as he did what he was told. I bet you Gus was not happy to have to act like he turned the reigns over to Rhett midseason. The man has serious ego problem. I believe this story will follow the path of Chizik. Gus will be let go next season and will get no more chances as a HC. He will revert back to being an OC if anyone will take a chance on him.

Archived