Carl Lawson Not Eligible for Senior Bowl

aufan57

Even though Carl Lawson was invited to play in the 2017 Senior Bowl, but is not eligible to play.

AUBURN, Ala. — Carl Lawson will have to wait a bit longer before he tries to impress NFL scouts.

The Auburn defensive end has been ruled ineligible for the Senior Bowl because he is not scheduled to graduate until May. Juniors like Lawson can play in the game only if they declare for the draft and graduate in December.

Lawson’s junior season was his most productive, though he did not finish with a sack in his final three games. He finished the season with 30 tackles, including 13.5 for losses, nine sacks and 24 quarterback hurries. He forced one fumble, which was returned for a touchdown by defensive tackle Montravius Adams against Mississippi State.

Safety Rudy Ford and Adams will play in the Senior Bowl.

"Initially back in December we were informed by the NFL that Auburn DE Carl Lawson would be eligible for our games a December graduate," Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage said. "Unfortunately, once he declared for the 2017 draft, it was determined that he will actually graduate in May, therefore he cannot be invited to the Reese’s Senior Bowl."

Lawson had the top grade among Auburn defensive players in the Allstate Sugar Bowl, according to Pro Football Focus. He was credited with half of Auburn’s quarterback pressures with five quarterback hurries, according to the analytical team.

Lawson enters a deep class of defensive linemen in the upcoming NFL Draft, and the Senior Bowl was an opportunity for him to potentially rise on draft charts.

Initially back in December we were informed by the NFL that Auburn DE Carl Lawson would be eligible for our games a December graduate. Unfortunately, once he declared for the 2017 draft, it was determined that he will actually graduate in May, therefore, he cannot be invited to the Reese’s Senior Bowl.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Carl-Lawson-unable-to-play-in-Senior-Bowl-50495796

Might be a good thing.  Didn't someone get significantly injured in the Senior Bowl last year?  Carl is well-known and will show out at the combine.  The Senior Bowl would be fun, but it is unnecessary for him.

2 minutes ago, AUBigE07 said:

Might be a good thing.  Didn't someone get significantly injured in the Senior Bowl last year?  Carl is well-known and will show out at the combine.  The Senior Bowl would be fun, but it is unnecessary for him.

Playing in the game is not as important as the practice time you get with the NFL coaches. 

couple qs here,

1: he is due to graduate this May right, so is he not traditionally a senior? if he is due to graduate in May wouldn't his credited class hrs and coursework on the university transcript say he is a senior in fact?

2: i know you get 4 years of eligibility to play a sport so i guess they go with that? being he participated for 3 years. just weird.

But yet DJ Fluker was eligible to play because he had graduated.  Are you kidding me?!?  I would love to see his college transcript.  I think the professors at bammer would pass a rock if saban told them to.   I can hear saban calling them telling them Fluker needed to pass 35 hours this semester to be eligible for the Senior Bowl and them responding with a loud "Yes sir boss".

Archived