Mike Raita Contract Not Renewed ABC 33/40

aufan57

Longtime Birmingham Sportscaster, Mike Raita, did not have his contract renewed by ABC 33/40. Been with the station since 1996. Before that worked at WBRC Channel 6.

Sportscaster Mike Raita and newscaster Linda Mays, both of whom have been in the Birmingham TV market since the late 1980s, have been let go at ABC 33/40, AL.com has learned.

"Yesterday (Wednesday) was my last day," Raita told AL.com this morning. "They did not renew my contract, which is up at the end of the month."

Mays' contract also was not renewed, according to reliable sources.

Raita, who was the sports director and anchor at ABC 33/40, has been with the station since it came on the air in 1996. Previously, he worked at WBRC/Channel 6.

Source

22 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Longtime Birmingham Sportscaster, Mike Raita, did not have his contract renewed by ABC 33/40. Been with the station since 1996. Before that worked at WBRC Channel 6.

Did he say something bad about bama?

You're not hinting that Coach Saban could go into broadcasting early, are you?  And still be close enough to dear West Vance to commute?  :Sing:

13 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

You're not hinting that Coach Saban could go into broadcasting early, are you?  And still be close enough to dear West Vance to commute?  :Sing:

Only in Birmingham would they consider hiring someone with the personality of a wet sock as a broadcaster... just because he coached at bama.

No loss. He was a Bammer wantabe.

bammer makes the state look like a laughing stock. If it was not for Auburn, we would be the most ignorant state in the country.

13 hours ago, doc4aday said:

bammer makes the state look like a laughing stock. If it was not for Auburn, we would be the most ignorant state in the country.

Nah... Mississippi still has a healthy lead on Alabama for that title.

I for one really hate this.. Mike is a great guy and will be missed.  I think this was a really poor decision for 33/40 and their new management to do this.  I hope Mike lands on his feet somewhere.  

Archived