Women vs. Vanderbilt - Game Thread

WarTiger

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great win!!?

This team plays very hard and I couldn't be prouder of them but we don't have a real big. Are they capable of beating either UK or the Vols without a big?

45 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

This team plays very hard and I couldn't be prouder of them but we don't have a real big. Are they capable of beating either UK or the Vols without a big?

Yes. Their suffocating D, long athletic bodies, & a hot Frerking & Montgomery can beat most teams in the country.

For example, the Vols just lost to Ole Miss which we beat by 23. That does not mean we will beat the Vols but we are very capable. UK has lost to the Vols so we are capable of beating them too.

Outstanding effort by these ladies! Way to bounce back. War Eagle! 

On 1/13/2017 at 1:31 PM, ellitor said:

Yes. Their suffocating D, long athletic bodies, & a hot Frerking & Montgomery can beat most teams in the country.

For example, the Vols just lost to Ole Miss which we beat by 23. That does not mean we will beat the Vols but we are very capable. UK has lost to the Vols so we are capable of beating them too.

We are capable, but having no big will make it very difficult.  As you point out, a "hot" Frerking and Montgomery makes that possible.  I just don't know how long Montgomery's shooting streak will last.  When she is on, we can score, but when she isn't, we struggle.  Tennessee will be on a 3 game losing streak when they get to Auburn.  They play Notre Dame Sunday.  I can't remember the last time Tennessee lost 4 straight, but this is an opportunity for us to get a big win.  My concern is our roster.  We willingly sacrifice basketball IQ in favor of speed and endurance.  That athleticism gets us wins over the bottom third of the conference, but I have yet to see it get us a win over a ranked opponent with size and the ability to game plan around the press.

Another concern....who replaces Frerking and Montgomery next year?

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

We are capable, but having no big will make it very difficult.  As you point out, a "hot" Frerking and Montgomery makes that possible.  I just don't know how long Montgomery's shooting streak will last.  When she is on, we can score, but when she isn't, we struggle.  Tennessee will be on a 3 game losing streak when they get to Auburn.  They play Notre Dame Sunday.  I can't remember the last time Tennessee lost 4 straight, but this is an opportunity for us to get a big win.  My concern is our roster.  We willingly sacrifice basketball IQ in favor of speed and endurance.  That athleticism gets us wins over the bottom third of the conference, but I have yet to see it get us a win over a ranked opponent with size and the ability to game plan around the press.

Another concern....who replaces Frerking and Montgomery next year?

These girls have looked like a very smart bunch to me.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

These girls have looked like a very smart bunch to me.

The are all smart.  That has nothing to do with basketball IQ.

59 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The are all smart.  That has nothing to do with basketball IQ.

I was talking about their basketball IQ. I have not seen any dumb basketball plays from them.

On 1/15/2017 at 11:36 PM, ellitor said:

I was talking about their basketball IQ. I have not seen any dumb basketball plays from them.

I think we can agree that we have not recruited at the same level as top tier SEC teams.  I want every one of the girls to succeed and I want the team to be successful.  I also want to be able to be competitive with Ms State, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky.  UGA has two 5 star athletes in their 2017 class to go along with two 4 star players.  I believe that Terri is a very good coach, especially Xs and Os.  She gets a lot out of her players.  However, hustle alone won't lead us to an SEC Championship, much less a Sweet 18, Elite 8, or Final 4.

11 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I think we can agree that we have not recruited at the same level as top tier SEC teams.  I want every one of the girls to succeed and I want the team to be successful.  I also want to be able to be competitive with Ms State, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky.  UGA has two 5 star athletes in their 2017 class to go along with two 4 star players.  I believe that Terri is a very good coach, especially Xs and Os.  She gets a lot out of her players.  However, hustle alone won't lead us to an SEC Championship, much less a Sweet 18, Elite 8, or Final 4.

We have recruited better overall than we did under Coach Nell which surprises me a bit.

Archived