Greg Byrne to UAT as AD.

GwillMac6

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Dang, looks like uat had a good plan in place and made a really good hire.

It seems strange sometimes as an outsider to watch other programs plan, organize, and control their operations so seamlessly.  

bruuuuhhhhh.......... :[

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Dang, looks like uat had a good plan in place and made a really good hire.

It seems strange sometimes as an outsider to watch other programs plan, organize, and control their operations so seamlessly.  

I've heard this guy turned down other jobs including Tennessee before accepting the Bama job. Doubt he would've picked Auburn anyways.

Saw that Phillip Fulmer is now front runner for Tennessees AD job.. Guess he has the business background that Tuberville doesn't have :-\

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This is a pretty big deal for Alabama. They really hit a home run with this hire. Scary if he continues to improve upon an already exceptional department. 

Agreed, expectations are at a high for Bama. Looks like a really good hire.

11 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Sometimes it seems while officials at AU are busy putting out fires, officials at UAT are spending their time preventing fires.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  

Serious question, besides the obvious elephant in the room (get it?), where exactly does bammer excel in terms of the athletic department?  Softball and gymnastics......

I believe "excellence" in the minds of Auburn people is relative to their not having been seriously investigated by the NCAA, which is a function of the Saban/Emmert relationship.

12 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Sometimes it seems while officials at AU are busy putting out fires, officials at UAT are spending their time preventing fires.

It's a lot easier when you blow off taking care of the actual university and focus the majority of your time and money on football. Of course, if you're not a fan of a blatantly racist Greek system basically running your university, that's probably not the best plan.

2 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Serious question, besides the obvious elephant in the room (get it?), where exactly does bammer excel in terms of the athletic department?  Softball and gymnastics......

I believe "excellence" in the minds of Auburn people is relative to their not having been seriously investigated by the NCAA, which is a function of the Saban/Emmert relationship.

Football, football and football. Everything else is just icing on the cake. But now uat has a sure fire leader who knows what he can do for the rest of the other sports. Sky is the limit, and so is the money. 

And "excellence" in the mind of AU people seems to be 8-5 in football. 

31 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Football, football and football. Everything else is just icing on the cake. But now uat has a sure fire leader who knows what he can do for the rest of the other sports. Sky is the limit, and so is the money. 

But, I can recite the creed!

58 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That was only the case when we were beating Bama 6 in a row & I didn't agree with the mindset even then.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

That was only the case when we were beating Bama 6 in a row & I didn't agree with the mindset even then.

You guys are all over it.   Striving for a squeaky clean reputation seems to be paramount.    I honestly don't think winning is important enough to those in charge and it permeates through the coaches and to the players.    The next time I hear a recruit say the main reason he wants he wants to come to Auburn is to win championships will be first time in a long time.

Hired RichRod as football coach...3-9 season this year....what more can you say?

28 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

Durn facts. That doesn't help us bash JJ. Didn't you get the email?  

Byrne wasn't hired to resurrect the football team...

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I don't know what he was hired for, but hiring a successful football coach in a power 5 conference is always pretty close to the top of the list. May not be the top of the list, but it was likely up there somewhere. If it wasn't then he had a very strange version of an AD job

8 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

He is probably the guy who will hire Saban's successor don't you think ?

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

He is probably the guy who will hire Saban's successor don't you think ?

Yes. And every coach will line up for the job if not Dabo. I read Bama hired him because they wanted to be a well rounded athletic program, not just a football power. They want basketball to climb up there as well.

Also, everybody loved the Rich Rod hire before he fizzed out. Rich Rod denied bama after all. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yes. And every coach will line up for the job if not Dabo. I read Bama hired him because they wanted to be a well rounded athletic program, not just a football power. They want basketball to climb up there as well.

Also, everybody loved the Rich Rod hire before he fizzed out. Rich Rod denied bama after all. 

They always love a Rich Rod hire....until he is actually there for  a while ?

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

They always love a Rich Rod hire....until he is actually there for  a while ?

Well if they loved it, cannot blame the AD for the hire because it was obviously supported. 

37 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah, this is what I've read as well. I've also heard that his first line of order will be a new basketball arena. 

33 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well if they loved it, cannot blame the AD for the hire because it was obviously supported. 

My recollection of the courtship of Rich Rod was that many Bama fans were absolutely opposed to him and even made fun of his wife on talk shows.

It has been a number of years ago but I think he would have had the same resistance at Bama he found at Michiga. Neither school was ready for his style of offense. 

Whatever..., the new AD will  do what the PTB's tell him to do. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

My recollection of the courtship of Rich Rod was that many Bama fans were absolutely opposed to him and even made fun of his wife on talk shows.

That was dissonance from Rich Rod saying no.

Archived