Baseball Preview

au302

Hey guys, I know it's a little early to start talking too much about the season but I wanted to know how everyone thinks we'll do. Obviously, last year was horrible with the rough transition. Also disappointing considering the team was full of guys who went to the tournament a couple years ago. Anyways, I don't know this roster as well as I knew the previous one so I was just wondering if we should expect another horrible year or maybe a better one. Thanks. 

I expect us to be fair. Might could shock a few people. Doesn't help that Deese was just dismissed from team, but we should have some bats to compete this year.

Josh Anthony is the big name recruit we pulled in. Big JUCO bat who got drafted by the braves fairly early. He should be somewhere from 3-4 in the lineup.

Some of our other promising position players are guys like Damon Haecker, Jeremy Johnson, Daino Deas, JJ Schaffer, and a few more. It's going to be hard to tell how good we will be for a while this year. This team will not necessarily be young, but there are just a lot of new names in the starting lineup, and they haven't all played together much.

Pitching should be a bright spot this year. Keegan Thompson is your number 1 guy. Cole Lipscomb is back and has been good in the past but wasn't all that last year. Hopefully he can turn it around. I think those two guys will be your first two weekend starters. The Sunday guy will probably be TBD for a few weeks into the season until one establishes himself. 

Cautious optimism is maybe the right phrase to feel about the season. And maybe expect there to be some early bumps and grinds. 

You make some good points. I guess I'm worried because last year we were horrible but I thought our roster had upgraded with Buentello and Palacios. Losing those two and Grier will hurt. Last year we had bats but no pitching so I'm glad to hear you say we should have more depth there this year. And I agree that we need Lipscomb to bounce back

I would be hesitant to put a lot of hope on this team for '17, go easy on the expectations put on Josh Anthony (hope I'm wrong).  I am however looking forward to seeing what Thompson will do with the talent he is beginning to accumulate.  I have said before that we have not had great catchers since we had Dunn and Ross.  That is about to change if we can get these guys on campus next year and the following respectively.  Both of these kids are "10's" on the PG grade scale....

Steven Williams   Plays at Deerfield-Windsor High School in Albany, Ga. for coach Jonathan Davis … selected for Perfect Game All-American Classic … 2016 Under Armour All-American … helped Deerfield-Windsor to back-to-back state titles in 2015-16 … Hit .524 with 16 doubles, three triples, 11 homers and 49 RBIs … 11 homers are a school record … Also a perfect 16-for-16 in stolen bases … named the Albany Herald’s Ray Knight Player of the Year … CBS Max Preps Underclass All American … East Coast Pro Invitee … USA Tournament of Stars Invitee… Ranked No. 44 nationally by Perfect Game … No. 3 catcher nationally … two-time GISA Coaches first team All-State honoree … All-Region from 2015-16 … 2015 underclass high honorable mention by Perfect Game … 2016 Underclass first team All-American … batted .521 as a sophomore with five home runs and 29 RBI … Added seven doubles and three triples … member of Team USA 15U national team and 17U national team development program … also starred in football … All-State and All-Region running back/linebacker … summer team is Team Elite Prime coached by Brad Bouras … sister, Teasie, is a sophomore at Auburn

Anthony Seigler   Auburn made one of the biggest recent moves out there in the 2018 class, scooping up this exciting catcher . The backstop comes out of Cartersville, Ga., posts consistent pop times around 1.8 and shows a polished, live bat from both sides of the plate.

On 1/20/2017 at 1:58 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Pitching should be a bright spot this year. Keegan Thompson is your number 1 guy. Cole Lipscomb is back and has been good in the past but wasn't all that last year. Hopefully he can turn it around. I think those two guys will be your first two weekend starters. The Sunday guy will probably be TBD for a few weeks into the season until one establishes himself. 

There are some young power arms in the fold (Anderson, Watson, Mize, Sprinkle, Hillhouse) with the kid from Montgomery - Davis Daniel possessing potential elite fastball (94 mph).

Thanks POD...but I really worry about the bats.....we lost a lot of base hits and runs and just looking at last year's performance from returning players it's a mystery to me as to who is going to take up the slack.   

And while, I'm more optimistic about the pitching I am betting we are back to small ball and low run games again?  Which is fine with me....I'm just looking for Ws and don't really care how CBT gets them. 

I saw an article where Sisson said he's going to use a method of trying to get guys around the bases. He doesn't exactly mean small ball but he knows we won't have he power we did last year. I feel like last year we had a good offense but we stranded too many runners plus our fielding and pitching was garbage. I think we improve in pitching and fielding but maybe take a step back in hitting

Sisson is violently opposed to giving away outs on offense.  He knows the makeup of this team is potentially the polar opposite of last year's team.  The good news for all of us is that the sacrifice bunt is not a staple of the Sisson offensive scheme.  Who is that always seems to stroke out over our inability to get the bunt down (maybe Mikey)?  

9 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Sisson is violently opposed to giving away outs on offense.  He knows the makeup of this team is potentially the polar opposite of last year's team.  The good news for all of us is that the sacrifice bunt is not a staple of the Sisson offensive scheme.  Who is that always seems to stroke out over our inability to get the bunt down (maybe Mikey)?  

Mikey...yep.... and  me too....can't understand why we have not had good bunters....maybe something in the water like what causes our basketball team to be such BAD foul shooters year after year no matter who is coaching them.  

But if you don't have solid extra base hitters, it's asking a lot for a bunch of "Punch and Judy" hitters to create a rally without someone giving himself up in the process.  Maybe more emphasis on stealing bases?     And.....could be that I'm missing some other strategy to score runs with a team full of singles hitters....but last year I got tired of seeing us get a runner or two on base at the start of the inning and leave them stranded right where they were.  

I'm normally against the small ball approach but last year, we watched a couple of those type teams get to the finals of the CWS.....so even in the era of a livelier baseball, small ball can still be effective if the players have the skills. 

PS...as for Coach Sissons....don't fault him for his view but coaches who don't adapt to their talent usually end up looking for new jobs....JMO

I'm not a huge fan of small ball but I'd be in favor of it if that means we can do better. I honestly miss the Galloway way. He was a huge jerk and I know he had to go but he got the most out of his talent imo. He took the same team that finished near the bottom of the SEC last year to a regional two years ago. I think CBT is a great man and good coach but I hope he can turn things around

Heard from a baseball/football prospect here in the metro Atlanta area that Butch Thompson is a difference maker.  He is really beginning to raise the talent level.

"Bob Jones senior right-handed pitcher Ford Luttrell tweeted Monday night that he has committed to Auburn. The first day Luttrell can sign is April 12. Patriots coach Jared Smith said Luttrell is back to 100 percent after having surgery following last season's playoffs to to repair a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow.  Luttrell was throwing 92-93 miles per hour last season before the injury, and is back to 91, according to Smith."

Anyone know if Jonathan Foster and Daino Deas are still playing? I didn't see them on the roster but I also haven't seen anything saying they're gone.  Don't know much about Deas but Foster seemed to play pretty well last year so I'd hate to see him go.

There were 42 listed on the fall roster and both those guys were there.  Assuming they are not on the "official" spring 35, nothing anywhere to indicate they've gone elsewhere at this point.  Assuming Rojas will take what's left behind the plate after Logan...Foster must be one of the bullpen guys until/unless there is an injury.  That's a tough place to get better as a hitter, I spent a lot of time there myself, lol. 

14 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

There were 42 listed on the fall roster and both those guys were there.  Assuming they are not on the "official" spring 35, nothing anywhere to indicate they've gone elsewhere at this point.  Assuming Rojas will take what's left behind the plate after Logan...Foster must be one of the bullpen guys until/unless there is an injury.  That's a tough place to get better as a hitter, I spent a lot of time there myself, lol. 

There's only 2 full time catchers left on the roster. Blake & Rojas. More info

When Mike Rojas joined Auburn’s baseball team last fall, he had two senior catchers in front of him and two more younger catchers on the roster.

When preseason practice got underway Friday, Rojas was one of just two catchers on the roster....

Senior Kyler Deese was released from the team two weeks ago following an arrest. Sophomore Jonathan Foster and redshirt freshman Jack McPherson didn’t return to the team after fall practice.

Damon Haecker is back there doing some stuff for us and I want Blake back there when he’s ready. He lost some steam, lost some weight, probably 10 pounds of muscle and just before he’s out there, before he’s ready, I just want him put back together. Our medical staff wants him put back together before we ask him to compete.”

In addition to Haecker, Thompson will also give freshman Conor Davis some work at catcher.

What's up with Logan??  Just saw where Haecker was spending some time behind the plate.  I know there are two good ones coming, wonder what happened with Foster?  He seems like a great kid.

And oh by the way, Keegan Thompson started the first scrimmage last Friday.  Looks like Casey Mize, Gabe Klobosits and Davis Daniel may be the leaders for the other two weekend starter spots.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

And oh by the way, Keegan Thompson started the first scrimmage last Friday.  Looks like Casey Mize, Gabe Klobosits and Davis Daniel may be the leaders for the other two weekend starter spots.

What ever happened to Cole Lipscomb? He really stepped up two years ago after Thompson went down but had a bad year last season. The fact that CBT hasn't really mentioned him has me wondering if he's even gonna be our midweek starter. It's a shame because he seems like a good guy and I know he's capable of being a dominant pitcher

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

What ever happened to Cole Lipscomb? He really stepped up two years ago after Thompson went down but had a bad year last season. The fact that CBT hasn't really mentioned him has me wondering if he's even gonna be our midweek starter. It's a shame because he seems like a good guy and I know he's capable of being a dominant pitcher

Pitched all last year injured per BMatt but supposedly healthy now & looking good.

Sucks that be was injured but glad to hear that's why he struggled. Hopefully he continues to stay healthy and becomes the version we saw two years ago

13 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Anthony Siegler has a 1.8 "pop time".  What does pop time mean?

The only way I could think of would not be good at 1.8 for a guy.

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The only way I could think of would not be good at 1.8 for a guy.

E still has his wits about him enough to be hilarious.  Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Pop time is how long it takes from the time the ball "pops" the catcher's mitt until the he throws down to second base and the tag be "popped" on the runner.  That is, the stopwatch starts when the catcher receives the ball and stops when the SS/2B applies the tag.  It is the only real measurable for a catcher.  A fast MLB baserunner can go from first to second in 3.3 seconds.  A quick delivery by a MLB pitcher from the mound to home is roughly 1.5 seconds.  If you do the math, a 1.8 pop time is MLB good.  A consistent 2.0 is better than average for a high school kid.  To get a 1.8 he's got incredibly quick feet and probably 88+ mph across the diamond.

Ok I've done some more research. Here's my 2017 Auburn Baseball Preview beginning with an expected depth chart.

C:

Blake Logan, Mike Rojas, Damon Haecker

1B:

Daniel Robert, Keegan Thompson

2B

Luke Jarvis, Jay Estes, Damon Haecker

SS

Jay Estes, Luke Jarvis, Damon Haecker

3B:

Josh Anthony, Damon Haecker, Keegan Thompson

LF:

Bo Decker, JJ Schaffer, Sam Gillikin

CF:

Jeremy Johnson, JJ Schaffer, Sam Gillikin

RF

Damon Haecker, JJ Schaffer, Sam Gillikin 

DH

Keegan Thompson, Mike Rojas, Blake Logan, Damon Haecker, Sam Gillikin, JJ Schaffer, etc....

----------------Pitching-----------------

We've got a lot of names back, but also some new guys that have a lot of potential. I think we have an excellent pitching staff on our hands. These guys are experienced if nothing else. 

Returners: (Last Years role: S=starter R=Reliever C=Closer)

Keegan Thompson(s), Cole Lipscomb(S/R), Casey Mize(S/R), Gabe Klobosits(S/R), Andrew Mitchell(S/R), Daniel Sprinkle(R), Gordon Cardenas(R/C), Kevin Davis(R)/ Daniel Robert (C).

New Guys to watch for:

-Davis Daniel (BIG recruit) 

-Ryan Watson (Auburn High guy, FBall touches 94). 

- Names like: Gohm, Warner, Maddox, Coker, among others.

ROUGH ROTATION:

Friday Starter:   Mize

Sat. Starter:   Thompson

Sun. Starter:    Kolbosits/ Davis Daniel

Midweek starter: Andrew Mitchell/ Kevin Davis / Davis Daniel /Daniel Sprinkle/Ryan Watson 

Closer Candidates

Gordon Cardenas, Cole Lipscomb, Daniel Sprinkle, Daniel Robert, Ryan Watson.

NOTES:

Some of you might be wondering about Cole Lipscomb. He has been a starter for two years and has performed pretty well, except for a couple rough outings last season. I think the coaches have been working with Cole to move him into more of a power-reliever or closer role. It is easier to move from starter to reliever because stamina is not as big of an issue. This way, Cole may be able to let loose a bit more and really come on as Auburn's closer or go to-reliever.

Keegan Thompson has been taking some cuts at the plate in batting practice. If some of you don't remember, Keegan was actually a very good hitter in high school, and already has a few home runs to his name as an Auburn Tiger. I could see Keegan DH-ing for himself a good bit this year. I could also see Keegan getting some time at first base in the instance that Daniel Robert can't go, or ignore Robert has to move elsewhere to cover a position in need. Keegan's second position is probably outfield, but he can play first as well. I'd expect to see Keegan in that utility player role a lot more this year. You might even see a switch between Keegan and D-Rob at first mid-game at some points in the year. 

-Sam Gillikin left the program last year but is actually back and paying his own way through school. He will be some speed and outfield depth to keep a serious eye on.

-JUCO is taking over the Auburn Infield. Jay Estes(2B/SS), Luke Jarvis(2B/SS), Josh Anthony(3B), and Mike Rojas(C) are all guys that will see a lot of action, if not start), for the Tigers this season. This could be good for Auburn, as the positions of need were filled by these guys. If these 4 can compete at the level they are expected to, Auburn will have a pretty darn good infield this year. 

--------------------Hitting----------------------

Expected Opening Day Batting Order: 

1.) Luke Jarvis - SS

2.) Jeremy Johnson - CF

3.) Josh Anthony - 3B

4.) Daniel Robert - 1B

5.) Bo Decker - LF

6.) Mike Rojas - C 

7.) Keegan Thompson - DH

8.) Jay Estes - 2B

9.) Damon Haecker - RF

STARTER: Casey Mize  ( RHP ) 

They're really excited about Jarvis being a lead off guy. Johnson is quick and has a good bat, so I'd pencil the CF in that "get on base" role of #2. The 3-5 holes are about of a guess but Anthony gives you a power bat, Robert gives you power and experience against SEC hitting, and Decker is a big power type guy who can score on one swing. I penciled in Rojas for opening day just because I don't think Blake Logan will be physically ready to go by then. As Blake gets his strength and baseball finesse back with him, I think he'll start. Not sure if it's going to happen, but Thompson, as stated earlier, has gotten a few at bats this spring, and I wouldn't be surprised to see his bat in the lineup. He's a guy who could hit in he 3-5 hole but it's been a few years since he's hit against SEC competition, and so I've got him on down in the lineup a bit. Estes I think is fast, but he's a smaller guy. He'll be a line drive guy looking to get on. In the 9 hole, I've got Haecker. I think the 9 hole is not where you put your worst hitter. The nine hole should be one of your more experienced players that knows how to get on base. Nothing special needed, just get on base. I think Haecker brings that exact thing to the offense.

Many may look at the lineup and see 5 guys who have never seen an SEC fastball in a real live game before. I don't think that is going to turn out to be a problem. Most of these JUCO guys have gone against guys who have just about as much caliber of pitching as SEC pitchers. I'm thinking our offensive numbers may stay pretty similar to last season, but I would expect more home runs and maybe a few more stolen bases (speed all over this lineup.

Overall Pre-Season Grades:

OFFENSIVE: B-

DEFENSIVE: C (Too Early to say) 

PITCHING: B+

OVERALL: B-

Hoping to see all of those steadily improve, but I'd have us as about an above average team coming into the season. We've got 19 home games to start the schedule against competition that is not too difficult. Our next 3 games after that are also at home, but are against Florida, our first SEC test and our first true test of the season. 

Im excited for this season in that I see a lot of good potential for Auburn. Hoping Butch can really hit a dinger this year and win a big time number of games. 

#RoadToOmaha begins next Friday, Feb. 17!

Thanks for the post. Really appreciate that. Looks like our pitching and infield should be much better (assuming Jarvis, Estes, and Anthony are good). From first look I'd say our outfield is going to be worse.  I don't remember seeing Bo Decker even see the field last year, so the fact that he's starting is a slightly worrisome.  I guess we were just spoiled last year with Palacios, Grier, and Ebert. Also, aren't there some other guys who could back up Robert at first base? Hard to believe Thomposons second on the depth chart. I want to say we have a JUCO and freshman contending for first but I may be wrong. Anyways, great post, really appreciate the time and effort. WDE!

Archived