Baseball Preview

au302

See that AU is picked to finish last in the West....LAST....dang...

I know the West is tough but looks like another "wait until next season....or the season after"...kind of year.

SEC west in baseball is significantly tougher than the SEC west in football.  They can finish dead last in the west and still easily make the tournament.  Should be 8-10 SEC teams qualify every year.  

40 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

SEC west in baseball is significantly tougher than the SEC west in football.  They can finish dead last in the west and still easily make the tournament.  Should be 8-10 SEC teams qualify every year.  

That's true...but there is last....and dead last......plus pre-season at 12th in the total conference.     SO...guess it's wait and see if the team we have can score enough runs to win close to half our league games which is usually necessary I think.

Meanwhile, just looking at the schedule, the pre-season games are really weak.....and AU should be able to win them all.....but certainly a start to build a record with but nothing to build an RPI that would help overcome a middle of the road SEC record.   JMO

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

That's true...but there is last....and dead last......plus pre-season at 12th in the total conference.     SO...guess it's wait and see if the team we have can score enough runs to win close to half our league games which is usually necessary I think.

Meanwhile, just looking at the schedule, the pre-season games are really weak.....and AU should be able to win them all.....but certainly a start to build a record with but nothing to build an RPI that would help overcome a middle of the road SEC record.   JMO

Baseball is a lot different from basketball in a "who makes the tournament" setting. We could probably finish 8th or 9th in the league this year and easily be in the tournament. That's grounds for a 2 seed even depending on our OOC record. Finishing about 11th in the SEC would probably have us as a bubble team for the tourney. It's not going to be so much our number of SEC wins as where we finish in the SEC. 13 wins in conference is usually a magic number but a few teams have gotten in with 12 the past few years. There's mad respect for the SEC, especially the west. 

We have 19 straight games in a row at home that we are going to be favored in probably at least 17 or 18. (South Alabama... MAYBE a Lipscomb game?).  It's not great for RPI concerns, but if we have enough wins at the end of the year, the committee has to at least consider us. If we can win over 15 games to begin the year, that would be ideal. Go into SEC play around 16-3, maybe 17-2, 18-1...... 

We've got to take care of business in the OOC though. Can't afford many losses in those first few games, too tough to win SEC games. 

RPI, just by being in the west, will be fine for us. We've got LSU, A&M, Miss St., Florida, Ole Miss, Arky, S Car on the schedule, so level of competition is really not a problem. Gotta get enough overall wins to get some consideration though. I think that's the big key is the OOC 

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Baseball is a lot different from basketball in a "who makes the tournament" setting. We could probably finish 8th or 9th in the league this year and easily be in the tournament. That's grounds for a 2 seed even depending on our OOC record. Finishing about 11th in the SEC would probably have us as a bubble team for the tourney. It's not going to be so much our number of SEC wins as where we finish in the SEC. 13 wins in conference is usually a magic number but a few teams have gotten in with 12 the past few years. There's mad respect for the SEC, especially the west. 

We have 19 straight games in a row at home that we are going to be favored in probably at least 17 or 18. (South Alabama... MAYBE a Lipscomb game?).  It's not great for RPI concerns, but if we have enough wins at the end of the year, the committee has to at least consider us. If we can win over 15 games to begin the year, that would be ideal. Go into SEC play around 16-3, maybe 17-2, 18-1...... 

We've got to take care of business in the OOC though. Can't afford many losses in those first few games, too tough to win SEC games. 

RPI, just by being in the west, will be fine for us. We've got LSU, A&M, Miss St., Florida, Ole Miss, Arky, S Car on the schedule, so level of competition is really not a problem. Gotta get enough overall wins to get some consideration though. I think that's the big key is the OOC 

Possibly....but can't ignore the PRI from the OOC games.  I recall a couple years ago when we were in the hunt and had a game against Alabama A and M or someone like that and won the game and RPI went down. 

I think we still have to win half the conference games....and or finish above 10th overall to have a shot at the tourney...and of course not do what we did last season with 8 losses before the SEC season started.   Looks like we down graded the schedule from last years OOC....hard to tell this early but likely any loss will be very harmful. 

The team needs to treat all of the pre-season games as critical...JMO. 

I think it was pawlowski ... scheduled cupcake OOC.  We still lost some of em and missed post season once or maybe twice.  This board went ballistic about the pathetic OOC.

it might be different now, but it was a problem within the last 10 years

I would like to see the make up of our pitching staff. How many left hand pitchers do we have? Same for right handed as well. I saw that we have a pitcher in the 94 plus range. I appreciate this info.

Archived