Coaching salaries discussion

lionheartkc

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yurchich is not proven to be worth 1 million is where I am getting at. Crazy inflation. I will be fine to match him around CRL price though.

Of course, on the flip side, many would argue that several of our coaches aren't worth what we are paying them...  

I would argue that very few football coaches are worth what they are making, period.  

As bama proved all those years ago, if you are willing to pay whatever it takes to get who you want, then they pretty quickly become worth that much and everyone else's salary will quickly follow suit.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course, on the flip side, many would argue that several of our coaches aren't worth what we are paying them...  

I would argue that very few football coaches are worth what they are making, period.  

As bama proved all those years ago, if you are willing to pay whatever it takes to get who you want, then they pretty quickly become worth that much and everyone else's salary will quickly follow suit.

I know one who is vastly overpaid, and a couple of others vastly underpaid.

1 minute ago, aufan57 said:

I know one who is vastly overpaid, and a couple of others vastly underpaid.

You know some Div 1 coaches making less than $150k/year?

Just now, lionheartkc said:

You know some coaches making less than $150k/year?

I do believe Tim Horton should be making more that lot more that $325K, per his experience and skill. I should have said one. My bad. 

7 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I do believe Tim Horton should be making more that lot more that $325K, per his experience and skill. I should have said one. My bad. 

I don't think a coach should be making 3 times what a professor makes (let alone the crazy salaries a lot of coaches make).  That being said, in the current market, I agree that Horton is under-compensated compared to his peers.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think a coach should be making 3 times what a professor makes (let alone the crazy salaries a lot of coaches make).  That being said, in the current market, I agree that Horton is under-compensated compared to his peers.

I agree with you on football coaches being overpaid, but in a free market ... 

42 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I would strongly disagree. As much money as they bring in to the university and as much fun and happiness(sometimes) as they bring to fans, along with the absurd hours they put in, I would say they get paid what they should.  

At the first school I coached at (small 1A) we had a coach that was the math teacher. He broke down our salaries to an hourly rate and we were making about 3.50-5.00 an hour. 

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I would strongly disagree. As much money as they bring in to the university and as much fun and happiness(sometimes) as they bring to fans, along with the absurd hours they put in, I would say they get paid what they should.  

At the first school I coached at (small 1A) we had a coach that was the math teacher. He broke down our salaries to an hourly rate and we were making about 2.50 an hour. 

If Gus worked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, he'd currently be making $440/hour.

If Horton, who 57 and I both agreed is underpaid compared to his peers, did the same, he'd be making $40/hour.

The truth is, most coaches work about 1/3rd that amount, which would mean the average coach in Div 1 is raking in about $120/hour for their services, and most head coaches are making between $500 and $1500/hour.

The average Div 1 professor is lucky to make $40/hour considering all of the time they put in.

Yea, I get that there's a lot of money in football, but there are a lot of things that money could go to in support of the university, vs the pockets of coaches who may or may not be doing their jobs well.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If Gus worked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, he'd currently be making $440/hour.

If Horton, who 57 and I both agreed is underpaid compared to his peers, did the same, he'd be making $40/hour.

The truth is, most coaches work about 1/3rd that amount, which would mean the average coach in Div 1 is raking in about $120/hour for their services, and most head coaches are making between $500 and $1500/hour.

The average Div 1 professor is lucky to make $40/hour considering all of the time they put in.

Yea, I get that there's a lot of money in football, but there are a lot of things that money could go to in support of the university, vs the pockets of coaches who may or may not be doing their jobs well.

I had an uncle who retired as a Prof. from Auburn, and I have about 10 family members who are teachers, counselors, coaches and a principal in secondary education. I graduated from AU in secondary education, but went on to law school and have occasionally earned fees that were almost embarrassingly high on a per hour basis. It is not just or fair. BUT, I submit that our free market economy is like democracy, about which Winston Churchill said:

""Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

For those inclined continue the coaches salary discussion here.

Nah...I'm good.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

At the first school I coached at (small 1A) we had a coach that was the math teacher. He broke down our salaries to an hourly rate and we were making about 3.50-5.00 an hour. 

You were overpaid then just like now

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Ass

Not enough likes in the universe for this post....................post of the last 10 years I am so happy someone else sees the light:cheers::hellyeah::beer2::cool::wareagle:

Archived