Trump's Drug Price Stance

Auburnfan91

President-elect Donald Trump’s fiery stance on drug prices is putting pressure on pharmaceutical companies that may be designed to bring their support for his planned overhaul of the nation’s health-care system.

Hours after Trump upended pharmaceutical stocks Wednesday with a pledge to force drugmakers to bid for government business, the U.S. Senate narrowly rejected a proposal to allow importation of cheaper prescription drugs from Canada. While votes on most amendments to the budget resolution went along party lines Wednesday night and Thursday morning, 12 Republicans supported the drug-import measure, with 13 Democrats opposed.

Bipartisan crossover in the 52-46 vote shows the drug pricing issue might have the power to unite enough members of both parties on legislation. Trump’s remarks may have had the effect of bringing pharma companies to the table in repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, which the president-elect has made a priority.

read more at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-12/trump-drug-price-stance-puts-pharma-on-notice-for-aca-overhaul

I think this is a good thing. The fact that this has some bipartisan support is also encouraging. Hopefully this will get passed.

" Trump’s remarks may have had the effect of bringing pharma companies to the table in repealing and replacing the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, "

Do they and their 3,000 plus lobbyist belong at that table?  Hopefully, Trump's remarks have a larger meaning.  That meaning being,,,the interests of the American people will come first, political interests and special interests are mostly irrelevant.  

In this case I think this was a good use of the Bully Pulpit. Now lets see if it actually helps or if it is business as usual with drug companies.

39 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In this case I think this was a good use of the Bully Pulpit. Now lets see if it actually helps or if it is business as usual with drug companies.

I agree but wish he didn't use that pulpit. 

20 minutes ago, alexava said:

I agree but wish he didn't use that pulpit. 

I wish he would use it less but there are times I think it is appropriate.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Tom Price must be shorting the drug companies.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/16/politics/tom-price-bill-aiding-company/

First on CNN: Trump's Cabinet pick invested in company, then introduced a bill to help it

Ain't that the idea?

Archived