Robert E. Lee Birthday

Proud Tiger

Since I misfired last Monday (forgetting that Alabama no longer honors REL and MLK on the same day) I will recognize his real birthday today. I know. most of you would want to know.(LOL). Hard to believe he would be 210 years old today. I will fly my Confederate flag today in his honor.

34 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Since I misfired last Monday (forgetting that Alabama no longer honors REL and MLK on the same day) I will recognize his real birthday today. I know. most of you would want to know.(LOL). Hard to believe he would be 210 years old today. I will fly my Confederate flag today in his honor.

And Trump would cut his Medicare.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

I can just picture a 210 year-old General Lee walking up to your house, taking down your flag, knocking on your door, handing you your flag, and telling you that you are a thoughtless, insensitive idiot.  Flying that damn flag does not honor Robert E. Lee.  

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Make America Hate Again

I've never celebrated, noted, or in anyway recognized REL's birthday. Never was an issue or mentioned  in my home when I was young, growing up, in the South. 

Fine for those who think it's a big deal, but not really my bag, baby. 

12 hours ago, AURaptor said:

I've never celebrated, noted, or in anyway recognized REL's birthday. Never was an issue or mentioned  in my home when I was young, growing up, in the South. 

Fine for those who think it's a big deal, but not really my bag, baby. 

Sorry to bump this thread but just wanted to respond to you. I understand where you are coming from. My family, going all the way back to great grandparents never talked much about the civil war either. But I spent my last five years with NASA at NASA HQ. I had lots of time on my hands on weekends and enjoyed visiting Manassas, Gettysburg, and other near by battle fields and developed an interest in Civil War history. I spent time in the Lee-Custis home in Arlington and stood in Lee's bedroom and imagined him walking around in the wee hours of the morning wrestling with his decision. I subsequently spent hours at the National Archives researching Civil War documents including some of Lee's letters etc. That's when I became a big respecter of Lee which I hole to this day. I have a big painting as the focal point of my study of Lee riding Traveler leading troops down a foggy creek at Manassas. So I became a big fan of Lee based on all my research..Masons also share that respect. I fully understand not everyone shares that opinion of Lee. To each his own.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

Sorry to bump this thread but just wanted to respond to you. I understand where you are coming from. My family, going all the way back to great grandparents never talked much about the civil war either. But I spent my last five years with NASA at NASA HQ. I had lots of time on my hands on weekends and enjoyed visiting Manassas, Gettysburg, and other near by battle fields and developed an interest in Civil War history. I spent time in the Lee-Custis home in Arlington and stood in Lee's bedroom and imagined him walking around in the wee hours of the morning wrestling with his decision. I subsequently spent hours at the National Archives researching Civil War documents including some of Lee's letters etc. That's when I became a big respecter of Lee which I hole to this day. I have a big painting as the focal point of my study of Lee riding Traveler leading troops down a foggy creek at Manassas. So I became a big fan of Lee based on all my research..Masons also share that respect. I fully understand not everyone shares that opinion of Lee. To each his own.

Proud- ever meet any of the ladies in Hidden Figures?

12 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Proud- ever meet any of the ladies in Hidden Figures?

Nope.. Sorry to tell you it is mostly fiction. One of my good friends was black Astronaut Charlie Bolden who is currently the NASA Administrator. Great guy.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

Nope.. Sorry to tell you it is mostly fiction. One of my good friends was black Astronaut Charlie Bolden who is currently the NASA Administrator. Great guy.

What's fiction?

22 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

What's fiction?

Let me better say their role is overplayed. Please don't take me any further down that road.

23 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Let me better say their role is overplayed. Please don't take me any further down that road.

' Based on a true story '... 

I just find it hard to believe that ( not seen the movie, just seen trailers ) such an incredible story would be hidden or not brought up for so many decades, if it was actually as it is being portrayed. 

Hard to believe, meaning I'm skeptical, but not denying it happened. Ought have been celebrated long  before now... 

23 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

' Based on a true story '... 

I just find it hard to believe that ( not seen the movie, just seen trailers ) such an incredible story would be hidden or not brought up for so many decades, if it was actually as it is being portrayed. 

Hard to believe, meaning I'm skeptical, but not denying it happened. Ought have been celebrated long  before now... 

The movie had to connect the lives of three different people in two hours which requires some adaptation. That said, all three had meaningful positions and the NASA historian says:

http://nerdist.com/a-nasa-historian-talks-hidden-figures-and-john-glenns-legacy/

Only hurts EVERYONE  when such cool parts of our history aren't told. Or left out of our national story.

Let others glorify what they want, but the every day things and very real people that went into making the space program what it was is nothing less than a part of our national treasure. 

“Get the girl, check the numbers,” Glenn said, referring to Johnson. “If she says they’re good, I’m good to go.”

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:40 AM, Proud Tiger said:

The Confederate Flag means different things to different people. To most it has become a symbol of racism and hatred. To me it is simply  a symbol of my right to be a proud Southerner. It is simply a piece of cloth. The meaning people choose to put behind it makes it good or bad.

16 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

The Confederate Flag means different things to different people. To most it has become a symbol of racism and hatred. To me it is simply  a symbol of my right to be a proud Southerner. It is simply a piece of cloth. The meaning people choose to put behind it makes it good or bad.

You may attempt to make it a symbol of whatever you wish.  However, the fact remains, it was created as a symbol of southern states defending their "right" to own other human beings as property.

If you are proud of that, you are a lousy human being.

If your pride demands waving it in the faces of those who view it as a symbol of horrible suffering, injustice, and oppression, you are a lousy human being.

You can not have it both ways.  It can not be a symbol and yet, "simply a piece of cloth".  You are are being insincere and disingenuous.

I am not saying you can not be a proud southerner.  I am a proud southerner.  However, that ridiculous flag is nothing to be proud of.

19 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

You may attempt to make it a symbol of whatever you wish.  However, the fact remains, it was created as a symbol of southern states defending their "right" to own other human beings as property.

If you are proud of that, you are a lousy human being.

If your pride demands waving it in the faces of those who view it as a symbol of horrible suffering, injustice, and oppression, you are a lousy human being.

You can not have it both ways.  It can not be a symbol and yet, "simply a piece of cloth".  You are are being insincere and disingenuous.

I am not saying you can not be a proud southerner.  I am a proud southerner.  However, that ridiculous flag is nothing to be proud of.

So you say.

56 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

So you say.

ICHY doesn't have a clue. There are several Confederate flags but most people only think about the battle flag. I bet few here know the message behind the design of the battle flag, i.e., what each thing on the flag meant in the design.

9 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

ICHY doesn't have a clue. There are several Confederate flags but most people only think about the battle flag. I bet few here know the message behind the design of the battle flag, i.e., what each thing on the flag meant in the design.

I have had several useless conversations with ichy on this site and have come to the same conclusion every time.

3 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I have had several useless conversations with ichy on this site and have come to the same conclusion every time.

He is on my ignore list because it is a waste of my time reading his posts. I only saw it because you quoted him.

9 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

He is on my ignore list because it is a waste of my time reading his posts. I only saw it because you quoted him.

Well, he is good at name calling. If you haven't been called racist, bigot, lousy human being, idiot, hypocrite, etc. by ichy, then you haven't lived. He does have some entertainment value, right?

14 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Well, he is good at name calling. If you haven't been called racist, bigot, lousy human being, idiot, hypocrite, etc. by ichy, then you haven't lived. He does have some entertainment value, right?

Not for me (LOL). Same applies to a lot of others here. I ask myself why I waste my time with them and if I don't come up with a good answer I just put them on ignore. That's why you will never see me quoting lots of posters and it makes for a more civil forum.

On 1/19/2017 at 8:40 AM, Proud Tiger said:

Funny, didn't you mention the other day that in deference to your black friends, you wouldn't fly the confederate flag on MLK day?

And how does flying the confederate flag honor Lee?   All his supporters make such a big deal about his personal views on slavery.  So how does emphasizing his decision to fight for a government specifically dedicated to preserving and expanding slavery honor him? 

On 1/20/2017 at 11:47 AM, ArgoEagle said:

There was little doubt by anyone as to what it stood for in the civil rights era.

You can deny it all you want, but it is what it is.

Archived