got an iffy question for any interested auburn fans

aubiefifty

i tried to do a poll so more people would participate be honest but i failed terribly. i imagine some will not answer this question out in the open and being open makes this post more of a fight waiting to happen other than why folks think what they do. so here goes............

would any of you be willing to forgo the auburn creed if it guaranteed a 10-12 win season each year or better? and since i know there are quality people on here maybe i can get a different insight on the why's. thanks for any help in not getting the thread locked before we have a few answers.

This topic has already been... aggressively... discussed multiple times. At this point, I could probably list the names of the people who come down on either side of the fence without anyone chiming in. 

As for the whys... it's really just a question of priorities.  No one is really right or wrong, it's just what they care about.

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i tried to do a poll so more people would participate be honest but i failed terribly. i imagine some will not answer this question out in the open and being open makes this post more of a fight waiting to happen other than why folks think what they do. so here goes............

would any of you be willing to forgo the auburn creed if it guaranteed a 10-12 win season each year or better? and since i know there are quality people on here maybe i can get a different insight on the why's. thanks for any help in not getting the thread locked before we have a few answers.

Forego the Auburn Creed in what sense?  What is it that we apparently need to do to obtain 10-12 win seasons each year that violates it?

Just wins and no championships? Throw in playing for championships and I'll take that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

11 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

What about the Auburn Creed would have to be relinquished to get the damn football team in a position to field a 10-12 win season on a consistent basis?

Seriously dude, AU pulls in top 10 ranked talent and they pay the coaching staff top 10 salaries in the country.  So, why can't they field a top 10 ranked team consistently?  And what does that have to do with the Auburn Creed?

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

This topic has already been... aggressively... discussed multiple times. At this point, I could probably list the names of the people who come down on either side of the fence without anyone chiming in. 

As for the whys... it's really just a question of priorities.  No one is really right or wrong, it's just what they care about.

my apologies.........i have never seen one.

my own personal opinion is the creed is what separates us from folks like the turds across the state. and trust me even tho we are struggling i like the separation. i am just curious on why some folks of a different generation would believe differently than me any why. it is not a devious trap or anything i am just curious and the other thread was just beat to death..........

8 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

my apologies.........i have never seen one.

It's never been it's own thread, but the walk the bleeding edge of the rules/hire a coach who's an a** to win games vs. take the high road/be "holier than thou", even though we may not be the best because of it, conversation pops up frequently in recruiting and coaching threads.

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

my own personal opinion is the creed is what separates us from folks like the turds across the state. and trust me even tho we are struggling i like the separation. i am just curious on why some folks of a different generation would believe differently than me any why. it is not a devious trap or anything i am just curious and the other thread was just beat to death..........

Different generation? What are you talking about . What separates us from Bama is consistent performance on the field and accountability. Creed has nothing to do with it .

The creed is just words. More than half of the Auburn family doesn't live by it, anyway. So if we are picking coaches, administrators, players, solely based on this creed, we are handcuffing ourselves. No I don't want us associating with criminals and con artists, but I wouldn't not associate with someone, just because they don't value all the words that make the Auburn creed. 

If if someone doesn't believe in Auburn, I personally don't care. I'm more concerned with them doing their job successfully and earning their paycheck. Not everyone has a love for Auburn that we do. Especially people from different backgrounds and areas. That doesn't mean they would be bad at their job. 

On the other hand, the Auburn Creed is basically just the qualities of a decent human being. So if the question is would I trade a coach who doesnt  have devoted love for Auburn but does his job and keeps our program successful for one who loves everything about Auburn, but doesn't earn his pay,  the answer is yea. But like I said, I wouldn't want a guy who puts winning over being a decent person. 

i hear comments like we need more thugs on the team to win.i am not sure there has never been a down period i have not heard this. i guess that is about as simple as i can get. bama just had a kid arrested yesterday for assault or robbery with a firearm. many people think bama cheats to win and i bet the majority on here do as well. personally i am not willing to sell the farm on honor to win. but i am just curious as to why others might think different.

31 minutes ago, selias said:

Just wins and no championships? Throw in playing for championships and I'll take that trade every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

honesty is so refreshing!

I'm really uncomfortable with this thread & don't like where it's going. Just doesn't seem any good comes from it. I'm tempted to lock it but will let a mod decide if it needs to be.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i hear comments like we need more thugs on the team to win.i am not sure there has never been a down period i have not heard this. i guess that is about as simple as i can get. bama just had a kid arrested yesterday for assault or robbery with a firearm. many people think bama cheats to win and i bet the majority on here do as well. personally i am not willing to sell the farm on honor to win. but i am just curious as to why others might think different.

Yeah, I don't know about comments like that. I haven't read any here, and anyone who does think that likely represents a very, very small percentage of the fanbase. We need better players to win. Alabama recruits better players, period. 

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

How did you feel about the Auburn Creed when Auburn signed star recruits that turned out to be members of the Felony Four that were arrested for robbery with a firearm, the Spring Break thieves that stole from their own fellow students, or the numerous pot heads we've had over the past few years?  Did you feel like Auburn sold "the farm on honor to win?"

IMHO, the day Auburn (fans/alum/students/Admin/message board posters) makes the choice to stop comparing ourselves to Alabama is the day Auburn unleashes itself from their own shackles.

Auburn needs to be AUBURN!  Screw what Alabama does.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

How did you feel about the Auburn Creed when Auburn signed star recruits that turned out to be members of the Felony Four that were arrested for robbery with a firearm, the Spring Break thieves that stole from their own fellow students, or the numerous pot heads we've had over the past few years?  Did you feel like Auburn sold "the farm on honor to win?"

IMHO, the day Auburn (fans/alum/students/Admin/message board posters) makes the choice to stop comparing ourselves to Alabama is the day Auburn unleashes itself from their own shackles.

Auburn needs to be AUBURN!  Screw what Alabama does.

...and all God's people said, Amen. 

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

The big difference between Auburn and other teams in this regard is, save minor, one time weed arrests, these guys forfeit their position on the team. You can't always predict bad behavior, or see it coming even when it's starting, but how you react to it is what defines the character of the team. bama, FSU, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU... all of those schools have shown that, for them, wins trump character.

hey ellitor do it if you need to. i have no probs at all. i am not sure i would get my answer anyway.

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

How are "thugs" going to help the team win?  Is there a felon to non-felon ratio that we need to maintain for maximum success?  Alabama might cheat to win, and they might not.  Since we cannot prove that, we should concentrate on what we can prove.

Since hiring Saban in 2007, he has built a solid program there that consistently recruits top players.  In that same time frame, Auburn is on its third head coach.  In spite of that, Auburn has maintained a rather high level of recruiting players itself.  Auburn has also won its first national championship since Eisenhower was in the White House, and played for another just three years later.  Auburn's best teams can beat Alabama's best teams, and vice versa.

If you hear comments like "we need more thugs", then the best thing I can suggest is that you should probably find better people to talk to.

Just now, Strychnine said:

If you hear comments like "we need more thugs", then the best thing I can suggest is that you should probably find better people to talk to.

This may be the wisest advice you will get all day.

Archived