Women vs. Tennessee

WarTiger

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanders goes to the basket and lays it in ahead of the horn after tenessee had conceded and stopped playing.  Not very sportsmanlike of Sanders, IMO. 

FINAL  Auburn defeats tennessee 79-61. 

Auburn was led tonight by McKay (career high) 29 points.  Frerking dropped in 22.  Montgomery finished with 8.

Ladies BB is looking good!?

I didn't see it, but in general after all the times I've seen the UT women run it up on beaten opposition, I don't mind laying a last one in on them at all. War Eagle!

Some Highlights for those that missed the game last night.   Auburn forced Tennessee into 22 turnovers and scored 30 points off those turnovers.

After we beat Vanderbilt I asked in that thread if we could handle Tenn and KY because of their bigs. E replied back that we could beat them with our press. Thanks E boy were you right. Great game by the girls.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

After we beat Vanderbilt I asked in that thread if we could handle Tenn and KY because of their bigs. E replied back that we could beat them with our press. Thanks E boy were you right. Great game by the girls.

No problem. I did miss on Janiah McKay though. When she is clicking we are a we are another level tough.

Told ya so @AU9377.

Gotta stay focused now & beat a tough UK team.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

No problem. I did miss on Janiah McKay though. When she is clicking we are a we are another level tough.

Told ya so @AU9377.

Gotta stay focused now & beat a tough UK team.

I never said we couldn't beat Tennessee. I never thought that until the end of the first Qtr last night. LOL.  Thankfully, we intensified our play and Tennessee did not sustain their intensity from that point on.  I said that their bigs would cause us a problem and they should have. As a long time season ticket holder, I am very glad that we overcame them.  That being said, if anyone thinks that we don't desperately need post players with size, you are fooling yourself.  Likewise, a press alone cannot beat South Carolina and likely will not beat MS State.  This game, barring a total collapse over the remainder of the season, earned Flo an extension.  I'm glad that she has accomplished that.  I just hope that she looks to the top teams around the country and compares them to her team.  If she will recruit some size at the Post and focus on keeping Georgia and Alabama talent interested in coming to Auburn, we could build something special.  If not, we will be, at best, a middle tier SEC program.  I want us to be a top tier SEC program.  That is all.  As for Tennessee, they have some serious chemistry issues within their team.  They beat #6 Notre Dame Sunday night and then they blow a 17 point lead at Auburn.  Their talent level is on a different planet than ours. For them to be underachieving is a real problem for Holly Warlick.  Many of the Tennessee supporters at the game believe the problem is both coaching and problems with Diamond DeShields, their star player.

17 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Not the best way to end but who knows what was going thru her head I'm sure coach Flo will address it

I hope that she does - Sanders never in that situation before - she will learn.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I never said we couldn't beat Tennessee.

The told ya so was in reply to you saying it would be very difficult to beat Tennessee. It wasn't difficult after the 1st quarter.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I just hope that she looks to the top teams around the country and compares them to her team.  If she will recruit some size at the Post and focus on keeping Georgia and Alabama talent interested in coming to Auburn, we could build something special.

Not disrespect but you talk as if she has not noticed & tried. I don't know this next part to be true but while bigs are important I don't think she will take them just to take them. I think she wants them to be athletic so she can play here style of Ball. You would know better than me but this sounds like a good class of post players

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Tennessee beat Notre Dame on Sunday.  To be honest, it should have been much more difficult than it was to win that game.  They are loaded with talent, but their team chemistry is off and they have issues coaching within the staff.  Either way....damn glad we crub stomped them...its been 9 years.

Unique is the second in state player that has a lot of potential that we have recruited  I don't want to come across as though I am all negative concerning Terri Williams-Flournoy.  I'm not.  I think she makes excellent in game adjustments and I genuinely like the way she runs her program overall.  My angst has always been our over reliance on the press and our lack of urgency in recruiting.  To be honest, there are many players that simply have no interest in playing in a system that is that reliant on the press.  Therefore, we have to really hustle to establish relationships with those that will.  My surprise over the past couple of years has been that Terri didn't reach out and hire someone with established recruiting relationships to come in.  She certainly has the budget to make that happen.  One of the reasons Terri got the job, in addition to her success at Georgetown, was her connections to AAU basketball. Her brother, Boo Williams, is the national chairman of AAU basketball.  One of our problems in state is that AAU programs like Southern Starz have established relationships with FSU and other programs, but not Auburn.  For instance, Shakayla Thomas, from Sylacauga, AL was a top 10 player that we missed on and several players from the Montgomery area have also gone elsewhere.  No coach can control all of that, but we have to change that to get where we want to be. 

I would be thrilled if we can, with the exception of Ms State and S Carolina, win out. Ofcourse I would love to win those games, but I'm happy nonetheless.  It all starts with Kentucky this weekend.

@AU9377   Not sure how you keep getting your replies typed inside quoted posts instead of outside the quote. Outside would be easier to quote back.

Not sure why recruits don't like pressing. As a former coach & fan I love it. But yeah, we shouldn't lose any in state recruits we want to anyone but UConn, UT, or SCar.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

The told ya so was in reply to you saying it would be very difficult to beat Tennessee. It wasn't difficult after the 1st quarter.

Not disrespect but you talk as if she has not noticed & tried. I don't know this next part to be true but while bigs are important I don't think she will take them just to take them. I think she wants them to be athletic so she can play here style of Ball. You would know better than me but this sounds like a good class of post players

This doesn't even include Justice Wright 6'4" center that is sitting out this year after transferring to Auburn in the fall.    We may lack a little in size down low but we make up for it with the press and the success we have off of it.  With the players we have coming in next year and Wright being available, we'll definitely have the size.  It's pretty clear to me that she has been recruiting post players, and that class is evidence of it.    It amazes me how many here think they know more about the game than our coaches do. 

Archived