Respect for the office of President

TexasTiger

12 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Sharing your thoughts with me is absolutely fine.  But you should know that criticism from you or any other person in this forum is not going to make me bow down and give my respect to a man who has done nothing to earn it, no matter what his position is in life. 

Elle, you don't have to bow down to anyone. This is America, after all. None of us should bow down to the President, whoever he or she is. Our founders set up our government in order that we never have that obligation. You're right. Donald Trump isn't your President. No one will ever be your President. And please don't misinterpret my tone as patronizing. That's not my intention, I promise. Donald Trump may be everything that you say he is, but whatever he is, he's ours, better or worse, and that's the reality of living within a democracy. Trust me, I understand the criticism of Trump. I'm very critical of Trump, but I don't understand it when people say "he's not and never will be my President." 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Is it more juvenile to cheer on an adult who acts like a spoiled child?

Suddenly the standards have shifted. Those who for eight years have not supported the president are suddenly calling for people to support the president. Trump now holds the highest office in the land. That responsibility comes with a certain set of standards. His behavior thus far hasn't lived up to what a POTUS should be. But instead of people calling him out on his bad behavior, we are told to "give him a chance." I will as soon as he acts like a president and not a toddler. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Suddenly the standards have shifted. Those who for eight years have not supported the president are suddenly calling for people to support the president. Trump now holds the highest office in the land. That responsibility comes with a certain set of standards. His behavior thus far hasn't lived up to what a POTUS should be. But instead of people calling him out on his bad behavior, we are told to "give him a chance." I will as soon as he acts like a president and not a toddler. 

Elle, It always works this way. This is nothing new. Those shouting on both sides, generally trade positions once power shifts from one party to another.

I've found its generally a good rule of thumb not to engage any of those doing the shouting, from either side. They are all the same!

Your position of "I'll support the President once he does something worthy of my support" is valid. You don't need to defend yourself. 

Edited by Barnacle
  • Like 1

Nothing really shifted, just different people saying it.

You don't like a particular policy or a particular president? Then argue for your position. Go out there and win an election...

• Like 1

I swear though, this board will make anyone crazy if you spend enough time here. Non-stop cycle of idiots shouting gibberish, and then people inexplicably engaging with said idiots. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I have ZERO respect for Trump. And anyone who believes that he gave up more money, more power and more prestige as a sacrifice to lead this country is someone whose ignorance is bigger than Trump's ego. He isn't divesting, he is sacrificing nothing. This is all about his ego and quite possibly about how much control Russia has over his financial security. My disgust for Trump goes beyond my dislike or disagreements with Republican politics. He is a complete waste of oxygen and unfit for such a noble office. I do not accept him as my president and never will.

You don't have to accept anything....but as of now he's your president whether you like it or not...and that does SUCK! We share one very common theme.....disgust.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

You don't have to accept anything....but as of now he's your president whether you like it or not...and that does SUCK! We share one very common theme.....disgust.

He is THE President. Not MY President. And yes I am stuck with it. 

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

He is the President. As an American, he is MY President. He works for us. He's never worked for anyone before. There are expectations of employees. For whatever policy issues one may disagree with, there is a baseline of decent behavior. GWB adhered to that baseline, even though I disagreed strongly with many of his policies. He upheld the dignity of the office. Obama  did, too, even though many disagreed with his policies. For five years, Trump vigorously claimed without evidence that Obama was illegitimate because he was not even a citizen. It was beyond shameful. Trump's behavior leading up to today has not been decent nor worthy of respect. If he miraculously changes that trend going forward, I'll give him the respect he deserves. But people earn respect. I have never had a President from either party that I believed had not at least deserved respect of the office because they at least were largely decent most of the time. This is not a partisan issue, as Trump's behavior has nothing to do with party. But most Republicans have decided to own this man despite his conduct and divisive nature. They need to decide soon if they wish to be defined by him. If he continues, I refuse to normalize his behavior. I believe no decent person should. To do so hurts our country. He's saying he won't change so we must change and lower standards to meet him. I strongly disagree.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

He is THE President. Not MY President. And yes I am stuck with it. 

I just suffered 8 years of that same exact malady.

18 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

He is the President. As an American, he is MY President. He works for us. He's never worked for anyone before. There are expectations of employees. For whatever policy issues one may disagree with, there is a baseline of decent behavior. GWB adhered to that baseline, even though I disagreed strongly with many of his policies. He upheld the dignity of the office. Obama  did, too, even though many disagreed with his policies. For five years, Trump vigorously claimed without evidence that Obama was illegitimate because he was not even a citizen. It was beyond shameful. Trump's behavior leading up to today has not been decent nor worthy of respect. If he miraculously changes that trend going forward, I'll give him the respect he deserves. But people earn respect. I have never had a President from either party that I believed had not at least deserved respect of the office because they at least were largely decent most of the time. This is not a partisan issue, as Trump's behavior has nothing to do with party. But most Republicans have decided to own this man despite his conduct and divisive nature. They need to decide soon if they wish to be defined by him. If he continues, I refuse to normalize his behavior. I believe no decent person should. To do so hurts our country. He's saying he won't change so we must change and lower standards to meet him. I strongly disagree.

You just read my mind. 

• Like 1

I understand the overall logic, but I'm going to be honest I don't need anybody telling me to have respect for this president when those very people didn't have respect for the former....And that also goes for the "impartial" who doesn't care but loves America because I didn't see those people saying those things for the former president. That's just my opinion

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I understand the overall logic, but I'm going to be honest I don't need anybody telling me to have respect for this president when those very people didn't have respect for the former....And that also goes for the "impartial" who doesn't care but loves America because I didn't see those people saying those things for the former president. That's just my opinion

I saw a lot of those people until he pushed through policies they didn't believe in. I personally haven't voted for either of the two major parties in a long time but President Obama didn't do a lot for unity in this nation....mainly because his party and the GOP supported such tactics. I appreciate his service and willingness to serve. 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

But you were probably one those people telling those that didn't like that Obama was president to respect the office though. Democrats called Republicans traitors for not supporting Obama and say they hate America. 

How many Republicans boycotted Obama's inauguration cole? 

26 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

But you were probably one those people telling those that didn't like that Obama was president to respect the office though. Democrats called Republicans traitors for not supporting Obama and say they hate America. 

How many questioned his citizenship? Besides Trump.

59 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

I saw a lot of those people until he pushed through policies they didn't believe in. I personally haven't voted for either of the two major parties in a long time but President Obama didn't do a lot for unity in this nation....mainly because his party and the GOP supported such tactics. I appreciate his service and willingness to serve. 

Saying Obama didn't do alot for unity in this nation is funny to me.....

40 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

No actually I didn't but I DEFINITELY watched. I mean most of you wouldn't even call him President.  Said everything they could say about the first lady but now I see Mr trump or president elect trump and his wife with her background is supposedly so classy or whatnot. And I'm not exaggerating or making anything up, it's plain as day and if somebody tries to argue that then you already know about them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Saying Obama didn't do alot for unity in this nation is funny to me.....

Laugh all you like but the public discord across the nation tells a different story. But it wasn't his fault solely as I addressed in my statement. 

18 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

How many questioned his citizenship? Besides Trump.

About as many as those who questioned GWBs service during his time in the Air National Guard. Not nearly as many as the media would like for you to believe.

Just now, autigeremt said:

Laugh all you like but the public discord across the nation tells a different story. But it wasn't his fault solely as I addressed in my statement. 

Yes there is public discord but that's because of many things and the main thing is social media, lots of things that were going on was uncovered

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

About as many as those who questioned GWBs service during his time in the Air National Guard. Not nearly as many as the media would like for you to believe.

It's stuff like this, you say you don't care one way or the other but you will go out of your way to make pretend nobody disrespected the office with Obama was president

But I'm not going to argue about that stuff I'm just saying nobody is going to chastise me for things they did themselves, and no don't start talking about unity now if you didn't talk about it the past 8 years