Chip Lindsey new OC

RunInRed

The same people who couldn't wait to get rid of Rhett are now the ones who are whining and crying.

We're going to be fine and the reason we're going to be fine is that we've solved the QB depth problem which has haunted us for the last 2 years.

I'm sure Chip will do a great job and we'll be rolling Toomers on a regular basis next year. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

I guess this nukes Crappy-ah's article about Gus not being able to hire who he wants.  

The primary subject of the article you speak of was actually verified on a diffierent Auburn site. "Crappy-ah" didn't just fart this one up out of thin air. 

7 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Because everyone got hurt. 

Ok I thought that was like 2 games and his starter was back for the rest of the season? Am I missing something Manny Played like all but 3 games and he was their starter

Chip was at Auburn under Gus for a football season. He's barely a part of a limb on the Gus tree. Give it a rest. 

• Like 6

If our offense looks good against teams that are on par with us from a talent perspective, I'll be pleased. Holding out judgement until then. 

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I give an over under at 5 games next season before Gus is fired and I am probably a little high. And no Chip is not a good hire he is mediocre at best. Might have been a good choice for a QB coach, but the only reason he is the OC is he agreed to let Gus call the plays, something Rhett refused to do any longer and not to fire Gus's other yes men Kodi and Herb. Next year we will see if we can go hire a real coach.

How do you know this or are you just making things up...

• Like 1

It's an okay hire I guess. I'm still bitter that Jay Jacobs took the rains and pretty much controlled what Gus Malzahn wanted to do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

But Chip IS a limb from Gus' tree.

It's Gus's program. He deserves to take it to the top or go down with the ship. 

11 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I give an over under at 5 games next season before Gus is fired and I am probably a little high. And no Chip is not a good hire he is mediocre at best. Might have been a good choice for a QB coach, but the only reason he is the OC is he agreed to let Gus call the plays, something Rhett refused to do any longer and not to fire Gus's other yes men Kodi and Herb. Next year we will see if we can go hire a real coach.

The fail is strong in this post.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

but the only reason he is the OC is he agreed to let Gus call the plays

Please don't make things up.  This is an absolutely asinine statement.  Arizona State is a real football program; we didn't pull Lindsey off the streets.  Why exactly would he come here and "agree to let Malzahn call the plays"?

• Like 9

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

How do you know this or are you just making things up...

Gus give it a break no one is going to buy your crap anymore. I am sure JJ told Gus to go ahead and hire Chip but be prepared to call the moving vans early next year. Gus was the one that played this to the media trying to make it look like they wouldn't let him make his pick. Gus is nothing more than a spoiled child in a grownups body. Pitching fits and always blaming his mistakes on someone else. I am glad he hire Chip it will ensure his departure from AU. I was a Gus supporter until I saw how immature he was. Good coaches accept responsibility for their mistakes. Gus he pushes his of on others. Rhett just wound up being this years scape goat. Craig was last years and Ellis the year before. I use to think he was an honorable man, I know longer consider him as such. It gets better at AU next December when we hire an adult to coach these young men.

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Gus give it a break no one is going to buy your crap anymore. I am sure JJ told Gus to go ahead and hire Chip but be prepared to call the moving vans early next year. Gus was the one that played this to the media trying to make it look like they wouldn't let him make his pick. Gus is nothing more than a spoiled child in a grownups body. Pitching fits and always blaming his mistakes on someone else. I am glad he hire Chip it will ensure his departure from AU. I was a Gus supporter until I saw how immature he was. Good coaches accept responsibility for their mistakes. Gus he pushes his of on others. Rhett just wound up being this years scape goat. Craig was last years and Ellis the year before. I use to think he was an honorable man, I know longer consider him as such. It gets better at AU next December when we hire an adult to coach these young men.

You are 100% making things up at this point. Please stop. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Chip was at Auburn under Gus for a football season. He's barely a part of a limb on the Gus tree. Give it a rest. 

I think the reasons for Chip being referred to as part of Gus' tree (which to some is a total disadvantage I guess):

1. He did coach under Gus at AU for that one year so he does know his offense and learned it in order to be the analyst

2. He was hired by Todd Graham, and he even stated would run Graham's offense. Guess who learned under Graham for 3 years at Tulsa....Gus Malzahn.

So there is a connection by offensive philosophy that people are worried about...

But to me the key is letting Chip Lindsey RUN his offense and add Gus's running success. Lindsey comes originally from a spread offense and he learned to use more run offense when he got under Gus..

And I think he likes to throw quite a bit. As his ratio of run/pass is no where close to what we ran under Gus/Rhett.

The KEY is Gus' letting Chip Lindsey calling the plays....

• Like 2

It seems to me that this hire could go either way:

The good:

• QB Development - Has there been any bigger complaint over the past few years than our staff's ability to develop QBs?
  • Passing - He will bring a focus on passing that we have not had in the previous few seasons.
  • Worked with Gus - Gus may be more likely to trust someone who he has worked with in the past, more easily accepting their new ideas.

The bad:

• Not a "wow" hire - We hoped that there would be a big name hire with deeper experience.
  • Worked with Gus - Is he actually going to bring new views to the table, or just go along with whatever Gus wants... aka, a "yes" man

Ideal Scenario: Gus is ready to turn over the reigns more fully to his O-staff.  Herb Hand is very familiar with what Gus wants to do in the running game, so Gus made a hire that rounds out the skillset of our staff.  We improve our QB development, and our WRs mature in their second year.  We have a lethal passing game to augment our running capabilities.  Not only do we use Stidham to his full capabilities, we also effectively develop those who come behind him.  Combining that with the D, we make a very strong run in the SEC.  9-10 regular season wins (sucks that we have to play both of the teams from this year's national championship) is a floor.

Worst Scenario: Gus does not want to make any changes, and we don't leverage any of the skills our new OC brings to the table.  The coaching staff falls apart and the O does not improve from where it was at the end of the season.  We are looking for a new AD and staff at the end of the season.

In summary:  Gus, though he is a smart coach that did some revolutionary things on offense, has to learn to evolve and leverage the skills of his staff.  If he is capable of doing that, then this is a good hire that will complement the skills of the current staff.  If he is not capable of doing that, then he is not the right coach for us long term, and this hire will clearly reveal that to be the case.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, metafour said:

He's not from the Malzahn tree.  He spent one year here as an analyst which is nothing more than a foot-in-the-door college position.  Lindsey came up with Rush Propst and was doing his own thing offensively long before he ever met Malzahn.  He was the HC at Lassiter HS when Lutzenkirchen played there and Hutson Mason broke every single Georgia HS passing record.  His offense is different from Malzahn's and is much more pass driven.

Gus has hired him previously. THAT'S the point.

Just now, VipersStrike1 said:

He was an ANALYST. ONE year. You guys are reaching so hard. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

You are 100% making things up at this point. Please stop. 

No you are just wearing you're OB glasses. Why do you think Craig , Grimes, and Rhett left here to take a lateral at best or worse with Grimes and Rhett. They all tried to steer Gus in another direction but Gus instead just moves them out of the way and replaces them with less qualified folks that will not challenge him. Good coaches go after people who will challenge them and make them better. Not Gus because he is childish. Look at Gus and then at NS and tell me which one looks more like a grown up. It is not hard to see this is a fail waiting to happen. Another year wasted for these young men. Probably will derail our recruiting for sometime to come. But hey you guys go ahead and make excuses for Gus. You just are part of the problem. This is why we are not successful at AU, because we always refuse to demand that folks we pay, preform as they should.

I love all of the people in here who want our OC to take control of the offense away from Gus when it is Gus who is known for being an elite offensive mind and whose success has come as a result of his offenses.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VipersStrike1 said:

And that makes him a "Yes man"? OK, bud.

I don't think that Lindsey leaves Arizona State so that he can fetch Malzahn's coffee here, if that is what you are implying.  As someone who himself rose through the levels, Lindsey has pride just like Malzahn does.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think the reasons for Chip being referred to as part of Gus' tree (which to some is a total disadvantage I guess):

1. He did coach under Gus at AU for that one year so he does know his offense and learned it in order to be the analyst

2. He was hired by Todd Graham, and he even stated would run Graham's offense. Guess who learned under Graham for 3 years at Tulsa....Gus Malzahn.

So there is a connection by offensive philosophy that people are worried about...

But to me the key is letting Chip Lindsey RUN his offense and add Gus's running success. Lindsey comes originally from a spread offense and he learned to use more run offense when he got under Gus..

And I think he likes to throw quite a bit. As his ratio of run/pass is no where close to what we ran under Gus/Rhett.

The KEY is Gus' letting Chip Lindsey calling the plays....

The KEY is Gus' letting Chip Lindsey calling the plays.... This is the part that will not happen.