Alabama Post Game- What you saw

AUGoo

AUsome game!

The whole team grew up a ton today.

They played within the Offense most of the time and tightened the screws on D in the second half.

Most importantly, Kiem hit the 3 at the buzzer!

It took too long to get this thread started.

Obviously, good win today. We all agree that the team made significant strides, and we've seen them improve notably in the last three games. I think a big point to this is our whittled down rotation. I believe Bruce started this during Kentucky, and it's made a big difference. Wiley is another factor. He's beginning to realize what his abilities are against defenders. His high rating is beginning to show.

Wiley took over once he turned on his animal mode. What a game for him. We just beat them by 20 and Mustapha didn't even do much until the last 5 minutes or so. If we play hard like today we can beat South Carolina on tuesday

I will be at the SC game so this makes me look forward to the game even more. This team will drive you crazy (see 3 consecutive turnovers in first half) but you can see the guys grow. It's nice having the big guy (Wiley) in the middle. After an awful first 10 minutes on the boards, AU wound up out-rebounding them for the game but still gave up way too many offensive rebounds to them

second half was impressive.....it pains me to think about boston college,ole miss and georgia because if we get those games, games that we should have won, we would be sitting at 16-3 and looking at going to the big dance.....i am happy though.....we are so much better than we have been in over a decade, and frustrating as it is for me sometimes, its a lot more fun now......

Anyone know if Carolina has any good bigs that can challenge Wiley? If he plays with the aggressiveness he played with today and they don't have a dominant big we could maybe hang around

That was fun! Wiley is starting to look comfortable. He is turning it loose some now. I love Ronnie Johnsons play tonight too.  I like that we are working the ball down more too, but I agree, we should stick with it if the first entry has to kick back out.  Feed the Frosh. 

Wiley off to a shaky start with several turnovers but once he got settled into the game and was bumping with those big bammer inside guys, he seemed to forget he was only 17and gave as good as he got from them.  

JMO but the final margin made the win look deceptively easy.....without Heron getting hot I'm not sure where we might have ended up but he definitely stepped up when we needed some offensive firepower. 

Any win over bama is a good win.....

57 minutes ago, au302 said:

Anyone know if Carolina has any good bigs that can challenge Wiley? If he plays with the aggressiveness he played with today and they don't have a dominant big we could maybe hang around

We can beat Carolina but we need to take a step forward on the defensive end and Thornwell is their guy to watch out for. I don't think their bigs match up to Wiley but they like to cut and slash from the perimeter from what I've seen tonight v/s UK.

It's no accident that Danjel coming back and Wiley going off equaled a W. I also think that adding Spencer and Dunans to the starting lineup has been a great move. Shout out to Ronnie Johnson too. Lots of positives all around really. 

Yea trying to limit Thornwell as much as possible will be a huge challenge. The point you make of how they like to slash scares me because I feel like Wiley could struggle to defend and maybe get into foul trouble. Need him to keep playing well

Great win - but more importantly Pearl has been doing some serious teaching & coaching!!!!

He is doing a great job with these guys. Proud of all of them!!!!!!!!!!!

WAR EAGLE !!!!!

We saw everything mesh again tonight and it was fun to watch. Seems the entire team has gotten a lot more comfortable with each other than we did a month ago. You could tell everyone was playing to win tonight. 

Wiley had a monster game, you can tell more and more is clicking for him on the court but our unsung heros tonight were Heron and brown. Having brown hot offensively gives us, likely, our highest % three pointer which gives him more playing time and his intensity on the defensive side is amazing when he's playing hard. Heron's 14 second half points gave us a bunch of momentum as they all came almost immediately after half time and I feel like that had a lot to do with us running away with the game.

Mclemore is also playing great role minutes. Highest Fg % in the SEC for a freshmen and he seems to only take shots when he knows he can make them. Rebounding extremely well for the minutes he gets too.

rebounding is my only critique of this game (and the biggest of the season) there were a couple of offensive rebounds Bama secured (one of which that comes to mind was right under the basket) that left me wondering if anyone on our team even attempted to get the rebound. It was almost as if every thought someone else was going to get it.

and then there was he almost-turnover after a Bama player missed a ft with none of their guys attempting the rebound 3 of our guys jumped up and almost knocked it out of bounds but someone jumped out and saved it. It seems like just a clumsy mistake at first site but it also kind of seemed like the same "oh someone else is getting it, I'll stop trying" mindset by everyone who went for it, causing none of them to secure it. Maybe one of them punched it out by accident but it seems to me our guys need to man up and rip the ball down on rebounds. Doesn't matter if you're stealing the ball from your teammate or their guy, we have enough size and athletic ability downlow that the only thing that can be keeping us away from getting rebounds is lack of motivation to beat EVERYONE for it. You can only teach boxing out so much and we have the size to do that too but I really can't think of how we get beat on the glass so much

The arena was packed with tons of standing room only. The crowd was the loudest I've ever heard at a game in there. It was nice to beat the hell out of bama.

I saw all of the first half and thought as badly as they played at the start they were lucky to still be in it. When I got back and started watching AU had a seven point lead and only built it from there. They seem to gradually be coming together, albeit rebounding and free throw shooting is still inconsistent. Carolina on the road will be tough but hopefully, they will continue to move forward and not step back to take a look at their work.

Also looking at the schedule, I can see us maybe getting to 18 wins. But we 21 to have a shot to make it as a 12... But here is to us putting it all together late on the season, as we started today.

And that is what having size can do....Once Wiley established himself as a threat, open looks came in the second half from deep. It's just basketball. If you can't create shots one way, you can do so another way. The better he gets you'll see Brown get better as well. Especially once Harper gets out of his slump, which I also said was coming. Don't worry I'm just going to make one told you so post at the end of the year....But if anybody followed my post from the beginning of the season to now....well I'll save that too.

But when there are a few let down games (which there will be) remember games like this and how the team is growing and stop the sky is falling post after a loss. This is a process, and we're just a piece or two away. 

Like I said had we got Petty in this class with our other guys we'd be ready to make a run but we're almost there. 

Archived