Malzahn's Presser - Chip Lindsey new OC

RunInRed

GUS MALZAHN

-- Malzahn opens by congratulating Bruce Pearl and his team for its win against Alabama.

-- Malzahn wanted someone who could develop and evaluate quarterbacks, someone he felt comfortable turning the offense over to and someone who had a similar offensive philosophy.

-- Malzahn said he wanted to take his time to make the hire intentionally while finding the person who was the best fit for the job.

-- Malzahn says Lindsey fit all three criteria and that he has his own offense while maintaining a similar philosophy to Malzahn.

-- Malzahn calls the timing good, since it is Auburn's biggest recruiting weekend. "That worked out pretty well."

-- Malzahn says Lindsey is in a similar situation Malzahn was in when he first came to Auburn as offensive coordinator.

-- Malzahn said "we're all on the same page" in regards to support of the administration and boosters.

-- Malzahn says Lindsey will have complete control of the offense and play-calling.

-- Malzahn said he has "retired" the clipboard and the offense is completely Lindsey's. 

-- On Lindsey's ability as a QB recruiter, Malzahn remarks on Lindsey's resume developing quarterbacks and his relationships with high school coaches in Alabama.

-- Malzahn tried to take a step back and "hire the best person for the job." Said he had an open mind and wanted to talk to as many people as he could for the job, but it kept coming back to Lindsey.

-- Malzahn says they're "in a great spot" offensively heading into 2017 as far as returning talent and bringing in Lindsey.

CHIP LINDSEY

-- Lindsey calls Auburn a "special" place and said he's "extremely excited" to get started. His wife was a 30-year season-ticket holder at Auburn.

-- On decision to return: "Being from here and the experience I had before, it was really a dream come true for me."

-- Lindsey thanks ASU coach Todd Graham for the opportunity in 2016.

-- On his offensive philosophy: "Try to get the ball to your best players."

-- On rushing offense combined with his passing philosophy: "At the end of the day, we want to be a run, play-action team. That's always what we've done... When you commit to that style of offense, get the ball to your playmakers," you're going to have success.

-- Said he excited about the opportunity to work with Auburn's quarterbacks.

-- On passing concepts: "You got to be able to run the football to win, and I know that.... I know what Auburn's made of... and that's what we're going to continue to try to do, maybe with some little wrinkles in our passing game."

-- On the importance of having free rein with the offense: "Extremely important."

-- On the Auburn offensive talent: "Familiar with some of them, just from being from the state."

-- 

AL.com will update this post. 

The highlighted sentences should make several posters extremely happy, including myself.

If the offense is truly Coach Lindsey's to operate, I hope that he expands the WR route trees and starts using the slant route. 

After seeing the family picture which included his wife...there is no question that he can recruit.....:)

Welcome coach Lindsey and family . Looking forward to gutting the nation on offense in route to a national title . Very excited 

Also, I am fine with running the ball, but if we can air it out please do. No need to run the HB dive 35x per game.

Dang, I really want this guy to be successful and make the offense what it can be.  He definitely outkicked his coverage on his wife, so that's a good sign.

I'm just trying to remember have I ever seen a coach who specialize on one side of the ball hang it up before....I have some friends on my Facebook who knows Lindsey and are excited to have him.....I guess we'll see.

It's sort of funny that Gus keeps mentioning developing qb's but the reaction of some when the group of us that mentioned this....You know the ol do i guess you know more than our coaches guys....well here is our coach saying he wants somebody who can develop qb's.....

9 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm just trying to remember have I ever seen a coach who specialize on one side of the ball hang it up before....I have some friends on my Facebook who knows Lindsey and are excited to have him.....I guess we'll see.

It's sort of funny that Gus keeps mentioning developing qb's but the reaction of some when the group of us that mentioned this....You know the ol do i guess you know more than our coaches guys....well here is our coach saying he wants somebody who can develop qb's.....

Y'all are who he is talking to. I don't think he will stay out of the offense, though.

2 hours ago, auburnphan said:

How many "dream jobs" does the average coach have in a career?  But, seriously I like what was said and look forward to seeing this offense evolve.

Well, he is a bama grad so...at least more than 1 ;) 

3 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Well, he is a bama grad so...at least more than 1 ;) 

been told by people who would know he grew up a Auburn fan. one of those weird deals where you go to school in enemy territory. pretty common though.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

After seeing the family picture which included his wife...there is no question that he can recruit.....:)

OK, I thought it, but you said it.:cheers:

If the offense is dynamic and effective we give CCL the credit....otherwise we blame Gus.....how does that sound ?

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

If the offense is dynamic and effective we give CCL the credit....otherwise we blame Gus.....how does that sound ?

Like Auburn fans

Archived