Malzahn's Presser - Chip Lindsey new OC

RunInRed

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

been told by people who would know he grew up a Auburn fan. one of those weird deals where you go to school in enemy territory. pretty common though.

Probably couldn't qualify at auburn 

Gus saying he told Chip the returning O talent is "very good" and that he's "kind of jealous" (that Chip gets to run the offense) is all that needs to be said. I'm a Gus supporter but the reality is he very much wants to be a play caller. I can see how this is an internal power struggle for him to be a HC and not an OC. Got to be hard to work your entire career to get to a point and then realize the sheer nature of getting to that point removes the thing you love most. 

Also seems sincere that he acknowledges it is something he has to do to be successful as a HC.

38 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Gus saying he told Chip the returning O talent is "very good" and that he's "kind of jealous" (that Chip gets to run the offense) is all that needs to be said. I'm a Gus supporter but the reality is he very much wants to be a play caller. I can see how this is an internal power struggle for him to be a HC and not an OC. Got to be hard to work your entire career to get to a point and then realize the sheer nature of getting to that point removes the thing you love most. 

Also seems sincere that he acknowledges it is something he has to do to be successful as a HC.

I agree with you.

It seems that his goals were too high for his abilities.  Maybe becoming a HC just a handful of years removed from HS was simply not the best idea for him.  He should have remained an OC and been happy with it.

We're not all meant to be presidents, CEO's, generals or head coaches.  Most of us are meant to be lieutenants or VP's....or Offensive Coordinators.

Hopefully he truly has learned his limitations and can now be a GOOD head coach.

Checked an AZ newspaper to see what they said about CCL's move.  Maybe some was already reported on one of our threads....

They noted that he had turned the job down once (making $650K at ASU)  but took it when the salary was increased and also mentioned that he had just recruited Blake Barnett from bama and BB has enrolled there.    Interesting ? 

On 1/21/2017 at 7:42 PM, aubearcat said:

If the offense is truly Coach Lindsey's to operate, I hope that he expands the WR route trees and starts using the slant route. 

And uses the BEST WR personnel. 

23 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Nature of the beast... not just in coaching, but in most career ladders.  I've had several business associates take a step down in their careers because they missed the hands on.

Gus tried to be everything to everyone, but there was no way he was going to be able to sustain the level he had as an OC and run a whole football team. It was well documented that he spent 18 hours a day just being an OC, when that's all he was. Now he's probably got 8 hours, if that, to dedicate solely to the offense.

I get the impression that Gus really likes working with the players, which is likely what allows him to step away from running the offense. I'm very much in that position with my job.  I love being in the trenches, but I also love mentoring, so the one softens the blow of leaving the other behind.

20 hours ago, AU64 said:

Checked an AZ newspaper to see what they said about CCL's move.  Maybe some was already reported on one of our threads....

They noted that he had turned the job down once (making $650K at ASU)  but took it when the salary was increased and also mentioned that he had just recruited Blake Barnett from bama and BB has enrolled there.    Interesting ? 

Money does talk... but I know he and his family were very happy at ASU. Moving and adjusting is tough on a coaching family (especially with young kids). 

30 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Nature of the beast... not just in coaching, but in most career ladders.  I've had several business associates take a step down in their careers because they missed the hands on.

Gus tried to be everything to everyone, but there was no way he was going to be able to sustain the level he had as an OC and run a whole football team. It was well documented that he spent 18 hours a day just being an OC, when that's all he was. Now he's probably got 8 hours, if that, to dedicate solely to the offense.

I get the impression that Gus really likes working with the players, which is likely what allows him to step away from running the offense. I'm very much in that position with my job.  I love being in the trenches, but I also love mentoring, so the one softens the blow of leaving the other behind.

Interesting.... The quote you attributed to me was not my quote :blink:.  I DID respond to that quote....but let's give @au_bsci_04 the credit :cool:.

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Interesting.... The quote you attributed to me was not my quote :blink:.  I DID respond to that quote....but let's give @au_bsci_04 the credit :cool:.

That is weird... first time I've seen the site screw that up.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

That is weird... first time I've seen the site screw that up.

Internet/computer screw up?  Neverrrr....

One thing that stuck out to me was that he said the bottom line is to get your best players the ball.

Here's to hoping this new set of eyes on staff helps us identify who these best players are because I don't/didn't trust Gus and Rhett to accomplish this until October. Luckily most of our guys have proven/started to prove themselves in real games over the last year. How our WR depth chart shakes out will be very interesting to watch.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

One thing that stuck out to me was that he said the bottom line is to get your best players the ball.

Here's to hoping this new set of eyes on staff helps us identify who these best players are because I don't/didn't trust Gus and Rhett to accomplish this until October. Luckily most of our guys have proven/started to prove themselves in real games over the last year. How our WR depth chart shakes out will be very interesting to watch.

I think some of that talk is always stated from OC, even RL probably said they want to get the ball to their best players. The problem is DOING it, and knowing how your philosophy is executed in game planning, practices, and in game play calling.

I just hope CCL with CGM can agree to teach and implement much better offensive attacks through the air and ground. 

45 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think some of that talk is always stated from OC, even RL probably said they want to get the ball to their best players. The problem is DOING it, and knowing how your philosophy is executed in game planning, practices, and in game play calling.

I just hope CCL with CGM can agree to teach and implement much better offensive attacks through the air and ground. 

Good point. I'm in wait and see mode before I can trust it. The POTENTIAL to fuse a dangerous passing attack with already great running attack could be awesome

On 1/22/2017 at 0:43 AM, GwillMac6 said:

been told by people who would know he grew up a Auburn fan. one of those weird deals where you go to school in enemy territory. pretty common though.

Common enough, though undeniably burdensome

On 1/22/2017 at 8:36 AM, alexava said:

Probably couldn't qualify at auburn 

Could be other reasons,

just sayin'

13 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Could be other reasons,

just sayin'

I bet it was a girl.  Show me a guy doing something stupid and I'll bet there's a girl nearby that he's trying to impress.

50 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I bet it was a girl.  Show me a guy doing something stupid and I'll bet there's a girl nearby that he's trying to impress.

Bingo!

You are absolutely correct sir.

In this particular case, it was my wife and her MD career.

We all have burdens, right?

ETA - I'm scheduled to attempt defense of my dissertation tomorrow.

May (fingers crossed) get to finally blow this burg.

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Could be other reasons,

just sayin'

I'm sure alexava was kidding. It's easier to get in Bama so that was a knock on them. 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I'm sure alexava was kidding. It's easier to get in Bama so that was a knock on them. 

I assure you and Mr. Alexava That there was no rancor in my response to him.

He was not, however, necessarily kidding.

I've gotten into both, and there is a difference in standards (esp. in the engineering sphere, as in UA said "come on down").

48 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Bingo!

You are absolutely correct sir.

In this particular case, it was my wife and her MD career.

We all have burdens, right?

ETA - I'm scheduled to attempt defense of my dissertation tomorrow.

May (fingers crossed) get to finally blow this burg.

Best of luck to you!

2 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Best of luck to you!

Many, many thanks sir!

I've tried to take any need for luck out of the equation, but I feel it might be handy.

Archived