Tenth Assistant coach talk (Merged)

Newbomb

E.  stated that the NCAA was talking about allowing each team to add a new on field coach.  Has anything been done on this.  Maybe I should of added the subtitle giving Auburn a chance for a real OC/QB coach...

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Newbomb said:

E.  stated that the NCAA was talking about allowing each team to add a new on field coach.  Has anything been done on this.  Maybe I should of added the subtitle giving Auburn a chance for a real OC/QB coach...

The changes don't happen until after the season.  Also, it has nothing to do with Auburn changing their OC/QB coach.  What it WOULD allow us to do is have an OC AND a separate QB coach... which couldn't be a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, Newbomb said:

But will this change happen?  The NCAA change...

No one will know until it does... It really depends on how much the more influential programs want it.  If it will benefit them, then it will probably happen. If it will level the playing field against them, then it most likely won't.

I hope that if we hire an OC, that they will already be an established QB coach and OC. I would like to see a coach for our Defensive Ends(Terry Price). I am tired of seeing them let the ball get outside on us. If it's a linebacker issue, then I hope that's most all they we focus on during bowl practice. 

When the news first came out, it said was the NCAA's idea to allow all teams to have 10 assist coaches. I think we will we see this take place after the national championship game.

What about Kevin Wilson?

Had a great run as an OC at Northwestern and Oklahoma.  Moderately shamed right now, but his resignation from Indiana wasn't NCAA infraction or Title IX related.  He might be interested in spending a year or two in the SEC.  Bio looks a lot like Hand's.

WDE!

52 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Wonder why Northwestern and Oklahoma let him go.

I don't know how hard either program tried to keep him, but he left Northwestern and Oklahoma for better opportunities.

CKW has a reputation for being a hardass.  He had Indiana playing pretty well, but was forced out very recently after being accused twice of essentially teasing injured players and making them feel bad.  Both claims prompted investigations, the second of which found no actual wrongdoing by Wilson or his staff.  Don't know about findings from the first.

WDE!

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:34 PM, lionheartkc said:

The changes don't happen until after the season.  Also, it has nothing to do with Auburn changing their OC/QB coach.  What it WOULD allow us to do is have an OC AND a separate QB coach... which couldn't be a bad thing.

hey lion, where in Kansas is Overland Park located? I think that Kansas has the world's record for being the flattest state in the USA. Never been there except for an airport landing of 1.5 hours. In Topeka.

3 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

hey lion, where in Kansas is Overland Park located? I think that Kansas has the world's record for being the flattest state in the USA. Never been there except for an airport landing of 1.5 hours. In Topeka.

In Kansas city its a city like hoover is to bham 

I think this change is intended to help the defense. Most schools have the following approach using 9 assistant coaches

OC - Often also coaches QBs

4 Offensive Assistants - Typically OL, WR, RB, and TEs

DC - Often also shares coaching of LBs or DBs.

3 Defensive Assistants - Typically DL, LB, and DBs. Some teams split coaching of LBs (ILBs and OLBs) or DBs (CBs and Safeties).

Usually which ever side has 4 assistants also has responsibility for Special Teams.

What is there to do for excitement ? I like our chances with the Sooners. My dad once told me that a sooner was a dog that is as soon to eat a pile of turds than not to. Never had that one explained to me. Anyhow, we will win this one by a score of  38 to 9.

Would love to have OU's OC. Lincoln Riley would be a great hire for us no doubt.

I would love to see Auburn win by that score but I have a feeling Auburn will have its hands full with the Sooners offense. I'm just hoping the Sooners have their hands full with Auburn's offense.:wareagle:

• 1 month later...

I'm interested to read what (almost) everyone thinks about this opportunity.  I'm especially curious about what our resident referees and coaches think our greatest need will be.  A lot of folks seem to think, unless there's a need elsewhere, the trend will be to hire a dedicated Special Teams coach.  

I would have been fine with an OC and a QB coach, but since CCL is both we'll hire for a another spot.  Fountain has done a good job as ST coach, but our TE production has been relatively poor.  A lot of that is due to circumstances out of CSF's control, but I still wonder if letting him focus on ST and adding a top-flight TE/H-back or TE/OT coach (similar to what Cristobal does) might impact the most number of offensive players.  Or maybe it's a better plan to add another defensive coach.  Get someone to help the tweeners that overlap Garner and Williams, or maybe help out with DBs.  Brown's rep is as a teacher, but it seems there are some questions about how effective recruiter he'll be.  I'm not on board with all the "he can't recruit because looks like a goober" mess.....but he does favor George Lindsey.

Thoughts?

WDE!

I still wish we could just have a QB coach and let CCL concentrate on the scheme.  If this does happen, it needs to be someone who can still diversify our methods on the offensive side of the ball.

I think we should either split the DL to Tackles /Ends and develop some good edge rushers or hire a dedicated ST coordinator and make our ST effective.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I think we should either split the DL to Tackles /Ends and develop some good edge rushers or hire a dedicated ST coordinator and make our ST effective.

I'm curious- how could our special teams get any better and why would this be the coach you'd choose? I love your analysis on other things, I'm genuinely curious what you're thinking is here. Given the importance of developing other positions I'd think there would be a better position to reinforce with coaching.

1 minute ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I'm curious- how could our special teams get any better and why would this be the coach you'd choose? I love your analysis on other things, I'm genuinely curious what you're thinking is here. Given the importance of developing other positions I'd think there would be a better position to reinforce with coaching.

Our special team can get better by having a couple more things. 1. Actual return game 2. Better coverage.

That sound kinda smart assy, but really, our return games, kick and punt, have not produced any points or field flips in a long time. Also our coverage seems lackidasical at times.  I don't have any complaints about our FG or punts games.

1 hour ago, MadtownTiger said:

I'm interested to read what (almost) everyone thinks about this opportunity.  I'm especially curious about what our resident referees and coaches think our greatest need will be.  A lot of folks seem to think, unless there's a need elsewhere, the trend will be to hire a dedicated Special Teams coach.

I would have been fine with an OC and a QB coach, but since CCL is both we'll hire for a another spot.  Fountain has done a good job as ST coach, but our TE production has been relatively poor.  A lot of that is due to circumstances out of CSF's control, but I still wonder if letting him focus on ST and adding a top-flight TE/H-back or TE/OT coach (similar to what Cristobal does) might impact the most number of offensive players.  Or maybe it's a better plan to add another defensive coach.  Get someone to help the tweeners that overlap Garner and Williams, or maybe help out with DBs.  Brown's rep is as a teacher, but it seems there are some questions about how effective recruiter he'll be.  I'm not on board with all the "he can't recruit because looks like a goober" mess.....but he doesfavor George Lindsey.

Thoughts?

WDE

I think it will be a D coach & hopefully a recruiting savant. Honestly I would love to bring in Al Pogue in April to coach either CBs or Safeties while Coach Brown coaches the other. Coach Pogue did a damn good job at Troy & knows the high school landscape in Alabama very well. I don't see it being an offensive coach because that would make it 6 offensive coaches to 4 defensive.

Archived