Tenth Assistant coach talk (Merged)

Newbomb

Felton would be a pretty nice addition. AU was obviously interested in him before and he would be a real asset in recruiting the state of Georgia.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CR said:

Felton would be a pretty nice addition. AU was obviously interested in him before and he would be a real asset in recruiting the state of Georgia.

Yes a "nice" addition, but nothing like what the addition of Dell McGee would be.

wde

☑️ Potentially good recruiter 

⬜️ Good coach 

——————————————————————

3 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Yes a "nice" addition, but nothing like what the addition of Dell McGee would be.

wde

Jason Caldwell said on a local sports show in AU you can pretty much forget McGee leaving UGA to come to AU. Wish AU could have found a spot for him before he left his analyst job to go to Ga Southern.

On 12/24/2017 at 1:43 PM, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Porter is out of position, he has excelled as a RB coach. He has been a great recruiter also before AU... I think he is a top notch coach but he is out of position.

Porter has also excelled at coaching Special Teams. Why he is just coaching TEs (that we rarely use,) I'll never know.

If Porter is to stay at only TE, any coach other than someone to coach special teams, is a dire mistake. 

12 hours ago, CR said:

Jason Caldwell said on a local sports show in AU you can pretty much forget McGee leaving UGA to come to AU. Wish AU could have found a spot for him before he left his analyst job to go to Ga Southern.

Did Jason say why?  Did AU burn bridges with him?

wde

15 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Did Jason say why?  Did AU burn bridges with him?

wde

He didn't go into detail. Just didn't seem to be any doubt in his mind it wasn't happening.

2 minutes ago, CR said:

He didn't go into detail. Just didn't seem to be any doubt in his mind it wasn't happening.

That is unfortunate for AU.

wde

On 12/29/2017 at 11:11 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

Porter has also excelled at coaching Special Teams. Why he is just coaching TEs (that we rarely use,) I'll never know.

If Porter is to stay at only TE, any coach other than someone to coach special teams, is a dire mistake. 

I thought Porter was HB/TE. But I wish he was RB coach. I'm torn between he and Horton because both are proven RB coaches and recruiters. 

On 12/30/2017 at 12:11 AM, Auburn2Eugene said:

I believe we use TE or Hback on about every play...we just don't throw to them very often which is a different issue.  Someone still has to coach the positions...When those guys are not blocking well it is very noticeable.

What about Greg Knox. As of yesterday he is unemployed. 20 years in the SEC, spent several at AU and for the last 3 years at MSU has also been the Special Teams Coordinator.

12 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

What about Greg Knox. As of yesterday he is unemployed. 20 years in the SEC, spent several at AU and for the last 3 years at MSU has also been the Special Teams Coordinator.

It was widely reported earlier that Knox would be joining Mullen at UF after Miss Sts bowl game. As far as I know this hasn't changed.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

I believe we use TE or Hback on about every play...we just don't throw to them very often which is a different issue.  Someone still has to coach the positions...When those guys are not blocking well it is very noticeable.

We use them to an extent. But they are basically just another offensive lineman. We don't use them on passing routes, so they could and should be in with the offensive line.  Besides, most of the time this year, Cox has been our main blocker where it would be a HBack in years past when we didn't have a Cox/Prosch FB. 

Doesn't matter. It's all semantics. We need to bring in someone to direct the special teams. Pathetic is an overstatement of how "special" our special teams were this season... Please keep in mind, that isn't a knock on Horton, I love Horton. He is a RB coach, a dang fine one at that. But he isnt special ST coach. 

14 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

So Marcus Woodson. I don't follow coaches enough to know how to rate this hire?

I think we're left hoping we got the next up and comer. Which means that I don't think we can rate it yet.

The only thing I found on him from a coaching standpoint is that he apparently focuses on takeaways and his squads have excelled on that front.

I honestly think that Gus's top priority is recruiting, because he knows that we are in an uphill battle on that front, so he's going for guys who have good reputations.  Porter was the same kind of hire... not a position of need, but someone known for their skills in the living room.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The only thing I found on him from a coaching standpoint is that he apparently focuses on takeaways and his squads have excelled on that front.

I honestly think that Gus's top priority is recruiting, because he knows that we are in an uphill battle on that front, so he's going for guys who have good reputations.  Porter was the same kind of hire... not a position of need, but someone known for their skills in the living room.

If Woodson is a recruiting ace, he is exactly what we need, IMHO. We are entering into a SERIOUSLY difficult recruiting stretch, bookended as we are by UGA and the cheaters.

I'm all for hiring recruiting gurus but there's myriad threads discussing the need for better coaching.

I, for one, hope he's a great coach.  :beer2:

Archived