Tenth Assistant coach talk (Merged)

Newbomb

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ellitor said:

"If he can't recruit 5*s then don't want him". Signed GWill.

He could prove why his 2* recruiting prowess is more beneficial to "team" though... thus reducing our recruiting budget/expenses in order to pay for his salary.    #Statwash

On 1/21/2017 at 5:24 PM, bigbird said:

I think we should either split the DL to Tackles /Ends and develop some good edge rushers or hire a dedicated ST coordinator and make our ST effective.

Quoted this because it was the first response to mention a new coordinator, but really it's is open question for the board.....

Which would be the better move, a new TE coach or a new ST coach?

WDE!

On 1/21/2017 at 6:52 PM, ellitor said:

Don't see him & Steele working together.

I've seen this floated before.

Looking at his bio, I see Greene had one of his best seasons his first year with Carolina in '96.  He left for another one-year stint in SF, but came right back to the Panthers and had another outstanding season in '98.  He retired after that.  

Player/coach relationships can be complex, sure.  And I remember them getting into a dust-up on the sideline over bad calls/blown assignments, but HC Capers---who Greene later worked for in Green Bay---sided with Steele and suspended Greene.  Was what happened something that can't be forgiven after nearly twenty years?

WDE!

7 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

I've seen this floated before.

Looking at his bio, I see Greene had one of his best seasons his first year with Carolina in '96.  He left for another one-year stint in SF, but came right back to the Panthers and had another outstanding season in '98.  He retired after that.  

Player/coach relationships can be complex, sure.  And I remember them getting into a dust-up on the sideline over bad calls/blown assignments, but HC Capers---who Greene later worked for in Green Bay---sided with Steele and suspended Greene.  Was what happened something that can't be forgiven after nearly twenty years?

WDE!

It can be forgot but that also could be a sign they just don't get a long. Besides, Coach Steele already coaches the positions KG would coach, rush ends & OLBs. It just doesn't make sense to bring in KG right now even if they do get along.

Also KG was interested in AU when CKS was putting his D staff together last year but apparently CKS didn't have the same interest.

21 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Pure recruiter is what this position should go to. Hire the best recruiter money can buy.

Other than Dameyune, who do you have in mind?

Since other programs will undoubtedly have the same idea, and many of them follow through, how much should we be willing to pay?  And if we get outbid by... let's say uat, Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame and USC, would it have the same pop if he was the sixth best recruiter money can buy?

I don't disagree, by the way, it just seems like a headache trying to establish what potentially makes someone a good recruiter and what they would be worth.

WDE!

Just now, ellitor said:

It can be forgot but that also could be a sign they just don't get a long. Besides, Coach Steele already coaches the positions KG would coach, rush ends & OLBs.

I'm not lobbying for KG, per se.  But I do believe he would be the most entertaining coach we've had in my lifetime.  Way more fun to watch than Trooper and the towel.  I think his personality and experience in pro wrestling would trump that jackhole at uat that jumps around holding the belt.

WDE!

12 hours ago, MadtownTiger said:

Since other programs will undoubtedly have the same idea, and many of them follow through, how much should we be willing to pay?  And if we get outbid by... let's say uat, Texas, Michigan, Notre Dame and USC, would it have the same pop if he was the sixth best recruiter money can buy?

I don't disagree, by the way, it just seems like a headache trying to establish what potentially makes someone a good recruiter and what they would be worth.

WDE!

It will be an up & comer IMO that won't cost much. You aren't going to get any established recruiting superstars at this point for a 10th coaching position with it coming open for 128 FBS schools at the same time, except maybe if your team name is Bama or tOSU.

48 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

WDE!

I would just sign some rising star in the business who you see recruiting greatness in. Thats tough to pick out. Look at kodi I thought he would be a stud on the trail because of his age, playing for au and having a ring. So far he has struggled mightily. Just dump a lot of cash at a position coach I would guess.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

"If he can't recruit 5*s then don't want him". Signed GWill.

YOU GET ME! you really do! lol

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I would just sign some rising star in the business who you see recruiting greatness in. Thats tough to pick out. Look at kodi I thought he would be a stud on the trail because of his age, playing for au and having a ring. So far he has struggled mightily. Just dump a lot of cash at a position coach I would guess.

Everyone short of CDC would struggle in the environment he is in. He's trying to sell WRs to play for a HC that, to this point, barely passes the ball.

I've said it before & i'll say it again. Even including I'm a huge AU fan, If I was a big time WR that had offers from all the big schools I would not have considered AU before the Chip hire even if CDC was the one recruiting me. Clemson, FSU, & Louisville would probably be my top 3 right now & I can't even stand 2 of the schools.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Everyone short of CDC would struggle in the environment he is in. He's trying to sell WRs to play for a HC that, to this point, barely passes the ball.

I've said it before & i'll say it again. Even including I'm a huge AU fan, If I was a big time WR that had offers from all the big schools I would not have considered AU before the Chip hire even if CDC was the one recruiting me. Clemson, FSU, & Louisville would probably be my top 3 right now & I can't even stand 2 of the schools.

This is true BUT its hard to be rationale sometimes. It just gets frustrating.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

This is true BUT its hard to be rationale sometimes. It just gets frustrating.

There wasn't a real need for WRs in this class. 2018 will be a need year at WR. If Chip gets a dynamic pass game going & we don't do well on NSD 2018 at WR then you have valid reason to be frustrated at that point.

Just now, ellitor said:

There wasn't a real need for WRs in this class. 2018 will be a need year at WR. If Chip gets a dynamic pass game going & we don't do well on NSD 2018 at WR then you have valid reason to be frustrated at that point.

JUSTYN ROSS!!! JUSTYN ROSS! fingers crossed.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

JUSTYN ROSS!!! JUSTYN ROSS! fingers crossed.

Yup. He would be a swing & a miss if we don't get him.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup. He would be a swing & a miss if we don't get him.

like you said this season will be huge in changing the perception of our pass game or lack thereof so far.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

E, I see so much posting about how this guy recruits or that guy recruits. Historically coaches were responsible and recruited "geographic" locations and not by the position they coached. This allowed the coach to build relationships with high school coaches and with the underclassmen high school guys that they get to know. I know position coaches are brought in eventually because a recruit wants to know who would be playing for.

So with all that said, who is responsible for "closing" the deal with a recruit? The "geographic area" guy or the position coach?

3 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

So with all that said, who is responsible for "closing" the deal with a recruit? The "geographic area" guy or the position coach?

Position coach in most cases. We don't use a designated closer.

12 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This isn't going to pass. FWIW. 

Interesting?  What's the reasoning for anyone being against it? Are the afraid smaller teams can't afford another salary?

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

This isn't going to pass. FWIW. 

First time I heard this. Every other indication is that the 10th assistant would pass in April & that it was just a formality.

16 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Would love to have Kevin Greene on our defensive staff. Maybe as Co-Defensive Coordinator.

We don't appreciate you the way that you deserve.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

That is precisely why I was so impressed at the WR's we landed last year.  I could not think of a single reason any 4-5* WR would want to come to Auburn over their alternatives.

Just now, Strychnine said:

That is precisely why I was so impressed at the WR's we landed last year.  I could not think of a single reason any 4-5* WR would want to come to Auburn over their alternatives.

My guess is that they were shown the Arkansas film and told "were you on the team, we would have won that game, easily".

Archived