Tenth Assistant coach talk (Merged)

Newbomb

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I like Rocker but I doubt that Garner would want to share coaching the dline? Perhaps he doesn’t mind? I would go after a top secondary coach.

please no on rocker. We need a guy who embraces recruiting and loves it. That is why I was always team garner over team rock.

I hope whoever we add is given responsibility and authority over special teams and is provided the practice time to do the job properly. We have enough crack recruiters on staff already. If the new guy can recruit, all the better but we'll win more games with improved special teams play than we will by adding one more recruiter.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I hope whoever we add is given responsibility and authority over special teams and is provided the practice time to do the job properly. We have enough crack recruiters on staff already. If the new guy can recruit, all the better but we'll win more games with improved special teams play than we will by adding one more recruiter.

Troy, Memphis and San Diego State all had 3 or 4 KO returns for TD and lead the nation....gotta be someone there who might be able to help us out. 

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

We, and he as well, might soon discover that recruiting Georgia kids to UGA and trying to get them to attend out-of-state Auburn are two very different challenges

Clemson, Auburn, and other teams have had success in poaching Georgia recruits in the past if they know how to run a program. Isn’t Trevor Lawrence from Georgia? Given that we are just a few miles from the Georgia line, I think it is best that we fight to not allow Kirby to lock down that state. If we can start winning consistently, recruiting battles will start going our way. If we can start winning rivalry games consistently, things will start going our way as well. If we continue losing the majority of the games against them much like losing  10 out of previous 13 games against Georgia, our recruiting will keep going the other way. Why? Because kids are impressionable and will respond favorably to success.

Lastly, there is no indication that Mcgee is just a “crack recruiter.”  He seems to be a pretty good on the field coach as well. I am not advocating for the troopahs and loopas, I am advocating for coaches that are more holistically beneficial to our football program on all levels including recruiting, on the field coaching, and excellent communication skills. I’d rather not sacrifice one for another or vice versa. Coaches like T-Rob are the coaches that I’d want at Auburn. Travis Williams and Garner are coaches that can do it all. Kodi is getting there, possibly. We have a pretty good foundation right now but still think we need more recruiting help. Coach Porter was supposed to be that guy but he hasn’t done much.

19 hours ago, Roos said:

Take the checkbook to UGA, and do not come back until you have Dell McGee signed to a contract.

he then can coach & coach and coach whatever you want him too,

Kickers, ST, Waterboys, DB"s,

just make sure you get him

Do whatever you can to Georgia.  Kick, ST, throw water, tackle.  Whatever.  I just love them so much.

Just make sure you do it.

On 12/23/2017 at 6:39 PM, Roos said:

Take the checkbook to UGA, and do not come back until you have Dell McGee signed to a contract.

he then can coach & coach and coach whatever you want him too,

Kickers, ST, Waterboys, DB"s,

just make sure you get him

Jason Caldwell was on a local show here in AU and all but said you can forget Dell McGee leaving UGA to come to AU. I assume he knows what he is talking about.

I don’t think there’s anything we can do to stop Kirby from having a strangle hold on UGA...we’ll get a few recruits, but Kirby is recruiting like prime Alabama. Don’t know what we can do to stop that, even blowing them out didn’t pause their streak.

Auburn’s gonna have to find a way to be more appealing than these two coaches who have basically mastered recruiting and are the primary in-state schools. We won’t truly know if Gus has been able to adapt any time soon though. At least Alabama has gotten gradually worse recruiting recently. Couldn’t imagine recruiting against those two at their peaks 

On 12/25/2017 at 7:42 AM, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

U can expect UT to start sweeping in to GA to steal a few too... Pruitt is a extremely talented coach and recruiter. 

Good. We really, really, really need UT to start competing with bama and uga again. The dumpster fire in Knoxville has made everything easier for our main two rivals and I'm sick of it. I'm hoping Mullen can do big things at Florida, too. I realize this will make things a little harder on us, but not to the extent that it would bama and uga. 

On 12/24/2017 at 8:13 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t think there’s anything we can do to stop Kirby from having a strangle hold on UGA...we’ll get a few recruits, but Kirby is recruiting like prime Alabama. Don’t know what we can do to stop that, even blowing them out didn’t pause their streak.

A few recruits? You mean similar to the seven (7) four-star Georgia prospects we got this year?  That's more success in the state of Georgia than I can remember us ever having.

I think if Kirby gets hit with a left uppercut against Okla he may not go down but he will get a 8 count,

and may never be the same if they blow him out, and it very well could happen.

7 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburns-assistant-coaches-rank-nationally-recruiters

A ranking of the recruiting efforts of our coaches. 

We have several coaches that are not recruiting very well.

Quoting from the article: " Martin, Shivers and Arryn Siposs all go to Horton. " 

Yet Horton is rated as by far our worst recruiter? That asinine assessment says all that ever needs to be said about that ranking. It's nonsense.

8 hours ago, Roos said:

I think if Kirby gets hit with a left uppercut against Okla he may not go down but he will get a 8 count,

and may never be the same if they blow him out, and it very well could happen.

This game is way more intriguing to me than the other one... While I believe Baker could throw for 350 on UGA secondary, I also believe UGA could rush for 300 on the god awful defense of OK... Can't wait to watch this one... Clemson wins the other one 31-20 imo... This game idk where to begin with a score prediction.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Quoting from the article: " Martin, Shivers and Arryn Siposs all go to Horton. " 

Yet Horton is rated as by far our worst recruiter? That asinine assessment says all that ever needs to be said about that ranking. It's nonsense.

In the next sentence it says that he was only the secondary recruiter for Martin and Shivers. In other words, he only secured one commitment as the primary recruiter in this recruiting class and that is to our committed punter.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

In the next sentence it says that he was only the secondary recruiter for Martin and Shivers. In other words, he only secured one commitment as the primary recruiter in this recruiting class and that is to our committed punter.

Jeff, just look at the thing's setup. Auburn assigns geographical recruiting areas to assistant coaches. T-Will has Greater Atlanta. That's the most populated area in the entire South and in near proximity to Auburn. Of course T-Will is going to top our list. We may have some coaches that are better recruiters than others but this outfit's method of assessing that is absolute nonsense. What area is assigned to Horton? Wherever it is, it's nowhere near as easy to pull players from as is Greater Atlanta. They are comparing apples and oranges.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Jeff, just look at the thing's setup. Auburn assigns geographical recruiting areas to assistant coaches. T-Will has Greater Atlanta. That's the most populated area in the entire South and in near proximity to Auburn. Of course T-Will is going to top our list. We may have some coaches that are better recruiters than others but this outfit's method of assessing that is absolute nonsense. What area is assigned to Horton? Wherever it is, it's nowhere near as easy to pull players from as is Greater Atlanta. They are comparing apples and oranges.

Just for the record, Seccountry is pulling these rankings from 247sports. Their article has typos but other than that, it was only a vehicle for delivering the 247sports coach recruiting rankings applicable to Auburn. You make a good point about T-Wills geographical recruiting area compared to Horton’s. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeCoachRankings

Heard an interesting perspective on this issue the other day.

100+  new high paying coaching jobs in college football......and it was suggested that there are many more jobs than there are good coaches to fill them.  

That could be true ....so look for lots of "raiding" of other schools to get experienced /existing coaches......but less news of young coaches making it into the college ranks for the first time..  Probably another case where the rich will get richer off the bones of their lesser opponents....and the poor will be scouring the lower ranks to find diamonds in the rough. 

I think the lack of a 5* recruit is affecting the perception of this class and, therefore, the recruiting prowess of our staff. 

As for TWill and Atlanta, it's probably no accident that our best recruiter is in our most talent-rich recruiting region.

Regardless, I have to imagine that every school is going to be prioritizing recruiting ability with their 10th assistant hire. As unprecedented as bama's recruiting has been, I guarantee you that saban is focused on the ones that got away. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think the lack of a 5* recruit is affecting the perception of this class and, therefore, the recruiting prowess of our staff. 

As for TWill and Atlanta, it's probably no accident that our best recruiter is in our most talent-rich recruiting region.

Regardless, I have to imagine that every school is going to be prioritizing recruiting ability with their 10th assistant hire. As unprecedented as bama's recruiting has been, I guarantee you that saban is focused on the ones that got away. 

T Will is indeed studly. The one I’m watching in 2018 is Larry Porter. He has always had a reputation as a top recruiter, and it started to show as the season wore on. Now that he has established relationships in his area, I bet he’s going to pull some serious talent. 

Archived