Did you know? (Chip Lindsey's offense)

abw0004

Thought everyone would like to see a comparison of Lindsey's offenses compared to ours (courtesy of al.com).  One concern is his rushing attack is lacking.  That is our strong suit and would prefer not to lose that.  Hopefully we can have a rushing and passing attack.

RUSHING OFFENSE
2014: Auburn 255.5 (13th)/Southern Miss 95.8 (121st)
2015: Auburn 196.4 (35th)/Southern Miss 179.8 (54th)
2016: Auburn 271.3 (6th)/Arizona State 131.5 (112th)

PASSING OFFENSE
2010: Auburn 214.43 (66th)/Troy 296.85 (11th)
2014: Auburn 229.5 (66th)/Southern Miss 269.3 (33rd)
2015: Auburn 173.6 (110th)/Southern Miss 329.7 (12th)
2016: Auburn 169.5 (112th)/Arizona State 259.3 (39th)

PASSING YARDS PER COMPLETION
2010: Auburn 15.47/Troy 11.35*
: Auburn 14.35 (16th)/Southern Miss 11.66 (79th)
2015: Auburn 12.61 (55th)/Southern Miss 13.66 (31st)
2016: Auburn 12.38 (68th)/Arizona State 12.11 (75th)

PASS EFFICIENCY OFFENSE
2010: Auburn 180.52 (1st)/Troy 140.74 (36th)*
: Auburn 156.79 (8th)/Southern Miss 117.14 (94th)
2015: Auburn 124.47 (79th)/Southern Miss 157.01 (16th)
2016: Auburn 135.17 (54th)/Arizona State 127.79 (73rd)

TOTAL OFFENSE
2010: Auburn 499.21 (7th)/Troy 453.46 (17th)*
: Auburn 485.0 (16th)/Southern Miss 365 (97th)
2015: Auburn 370.0 (94th)/Southern Miss 509.5 (12th)
2016: Auburn 440.8 (43rd)/Arizona State 390.8 (81st)

SCORING OFFENSE
2010: Auburn 41.21 (7th)/Troy 34.08 (20th)*
: Auburn 35.5 (35th)/Southern Miss 19.0 (114th)
2015: Auburn 27.5 (75th)/Southern Miss 39.9 (13th)
2016: Auburn 31.2 (49th)/Arizona State 33.3 (40th)

SACKS ALLOWED
2014: Auburn 15 sacks, 1.15 per game (15th)/Southern Miss 36 sacks, 3.0 per game (109th)
2015: Auburn 19 sacks, 1.46 per game (33rd)/Southern Miss 26 sacks, 1.86 per game (54th)
2016: Auburn 19 sacks, 1.46 per game (27th)/Arizona State 41 sacks, 3.42 per game (112th)

TACKLES FOR LOSS ALLOWED
2014: Auburn 74 TFLs, 5.69 per game (55th)/Southern Miss 85 TFLs, 7.08 per game (114th)
2015: Auburn 65 TFLs, 5.0 per game (24th)/Southern Miss 66 TFLs, 4.71 (16th)
2016: Auburn 73 TFLs, 5.62 per game (56th)/Arizona State 90 TFLs, 7.50 per game (114th)

FIRST DOWNS
2014: Auburn 314 (21st)/Southern Miss 249 (82nd)
2015: Auburn 257 (69th)/Southern Miss 324 (20th)
2016: Auburn 286 (45th)/Arizona State 244 (95th)

THIRD-DOWN CONVERSIONS
2014: Auburn 52.5 percent (2nd)/Southern Miss 34.6 percent (103rd)
2015: Auburn 41.3 percent (49th)/Southern Miss 46.2 percent (19th)
2016: Auburn 41.8 percent (53rd)/Arizona State 38.1 percent (85th)

RED ZONE OFFENSE
2014: Auburn 87.9 percent (31st)/Southern Miss 76.9 percent (98th)
2015: Auburn 90.2 percent (13th)/Southern Miss 80.8 percent (90th)
2016: Auburn 85.5 percent (52nd)/Arizona State 91.5 percent (11th)

TURNOVERS LOST
2014: Auburn 20 (44th)/Southern Miss 26 (98th)
2015: Auburn 17 (31st)/Southern Miss 25 (104th)
2016: Auburn 14 (12th)/Arizona State 21 (82nd)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Hard to extrapolate much from short-stint numbers - maybe that it takes him (like everybody else) a season to get an O going? I'll go out on a limb and guess he's never inherited anything like the O talent we have right now at Auburn. Exciting stuff.

CCL will need spring to prepare for Brent Venerables defense at Clemson (even though Georgia Southern is up first) and that game will reveal just how good he can call a game. Venerables is a good D coordinator and we will know a lot about CCL after that game.

The one thing I take from it without looking into it any deeper is that the offense improved in the second year at Southern Miss.  Of course, this could be attributable to better/more experienced players or more luck with players staying healthy, but it could also be due to the players getting more comfortable in Lindsey's system or getting the right players to execute the system.

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

CCL will need spring to prepare for Brent Venerables defense at Clemson (even though Georgia Southern is up first) and that game will reveal just how good he can call a game. Venerables is a good D coordinator and we will know a lot about CCL after that game.

At least Venables shouldn't be able to "just google" CCL's offense this year....

Fingers crossed we'll have a good balanced offense next season. Running the ball was our strength this season but with our new QB and the talented young receivers we have, we should do well enough to keep defenses honest. That by itself will make our offense extremely dangerous. No more stacking the box! (Well, Clemson will probably stack the box on us until we sling the ball downfield and make them open up.)

39 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The AU offense will either be a huge success or a huge failure in 2017. Don't think there will be any middle ground. Gus has his people. It's time to win. 

I'm sure nobody would officially admit it but I've gotta believe that Gus has been mandated to win at least one of the Amen Corner games and it's probably been strongly suggested to him that the IB should be for the SEC West this year.

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm sure nobody would officially admit it but I've gotta believe that Gus has been mandated to win at least one of the Amen Corner games and it's probably been strongly suggested to him that the IB should be for the SEC West this year.

Isn't this always the case though? It's not like they told Gus not to worry about those games the last few years.

15 minutes ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Isn't this always the case though? It's not like they told Gus not to worry about those games the last few years.

Of course, it's always the preference, naturally.  I think we're all reasonable enough to realize "you can't win'em all" though..,...

However, with the cluster that was last years' offense (at times), coupled with the fact that since 2013's "miracle" GA win and "unusual" AL win, Gus is 0-6 against them, looking stupid in the GA games to add insult to injury, I personally believe that he must beat one of them this year, or at the VERY LEAST look like he's actually coached football the week of the GA game, or he's out.  

Maybe he doesn't have to, sure....but 0-8 against the main rivals does not look good on the resume.

EDIT ....excuse me.  TWO and 8.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Of course, it's always the preference, naturally.  I think we're all reasonable enough to realize "you can't win'em all" though..,...

However, with the cluster that was last years' offense (at times), coupled with the fact that since 2013's "miracle" GA win and "unusual" AL win, Gus is 0-6 against them, looking stupid in the GA games to add insult to injury, I personally believe that he must beat one of them this year, or at the VERY LEAST look like he's actually coached football the week of the GA game, or he's out.  

Maybe he doesn't have to, sure....but 0-8 against the main rivals does not look good on the resume.

EDIT ....excuse me.  TWO and 8.

While I agree, I suspect the emphasis is probably on how unacceptable things like the Clemson game, no first downs in an entire half, and a completely impotent offense when QB #1 is unavailable are.  Losing games is less troubling than losing games AND looking inept while doing so.

Just now, Strychnine said:

While I agree, I suspect the emphasis is probably on how unacceptable things like the Clemson game, no first downs in an entire half, and a completely impotent offense when QB #1 is unavailable are.  Losing games is less troubling than losing games AND looking inept while doing so.

I believe you're absolutely right and that does go into my thinking.

I'm sure, as long as Auburn looks well coached and is competitive, he'll have a longer leash.  However, he has definitely earned a short leash based on several performances, decisions, etc over the last 3 (especially 2) years.

I imagine if they have even one "Clemson type" game next year where it just is flat out WEIRD or GA game, where the team (at least one side of the ball) looks like they didn't even show up to practice all week, he's gonna get very uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

If that's the case than the AD is in far more need of a complete overhaul than I already thought. Mandating specific wins when you have no idea how good the opponent may be is ludicrous.  Even more so considering all of the other factors that go into a win against a solid opponent. I can see mandating no losses to lesser teams and mandating being competitive, but saying "you have to win X game" as a mandate for keeping one's job is just not right.

16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If that's the case than the AD is in far more need of a complete overhaul than I already thought. Mandating specific wins when you have no idea how good the opponent may be is ludicrous.  Even more so considering all of the other factors that go into a win against a solid opponent. I can see mandating no losses to lesser teams and mandating being competitive, but saying "you have to win X game" as a mandate for keeping one's job is just not right.

Though I don't at all disagree with you in terms of what's right or wrong, I contend that major sports rivalries (ESPECIALLY college) create scenarios that often don't make sense to those of us in the real world.

Go through history of Alabama, Georgia, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, Miami, Florida, and on and on....  Do you really think these coaches didn't HAVE to beat their rivals to keep their jobs?  I'm sure Bill Curry, Lloyd Carr, and plenty others would agree with you that it wasn't fair to have good teams only to be unable to beat their main rivals...yet, they were fired for just that.

I ain't saying it's right..... but major sports is not regular life.  

I'm not speaking in absolutes...it is merely my opinion but I honestly believe that the people who write the checks are looking at the last 2-3 years, the new OC, the MAJOR talent on this coming season's team and expect to NOT have to wear egg on their face every year while their evil brethren from GA and AL get to continue to point and laugh.  Is it in his contract?  No, of course not but I'm betting it's been "suggested".

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The AU offense will either be a huge success or a huge failure in 2017. Don't think there will be any middle ground. Gus has his people. It's time to win. 

But isn't that what everyone said last year?

55 minutes ago, autigersj said:

But isn't that what everyone said last year?

Verbatim!

Look back at any thread on this very board and the exact same statements were made last year.  He hired "his" men, he brought in "his" players, he had to win.

He went from last in the division to #2 in the conference and from the toilet bowl in Legion Field to the Sugar Bowl. He made improvements from 2015 to 2016.  Now he needs to improve on 2016.  

5 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

As other posters have mentioned, this statement was uttered last year about this time.  Gus has (hopefully) better personnel in key positions this year and it is time to win.  I have not heard, but did Gus get an extension of his contract this year or is it pending?  If not, that fact would be telling and put him in the same category as Les Miles from a year ago.  Interesting time ahead.

48 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

As other posters have mentioned, this statement was uttered last year about this time.  Gus has (hopefully) better personnel in key positions this year and it is time to win.  I have not heard, but did Gus get an extension of his contract this year or is it pending?  If not, that fact would be telling and put him in the same category as Les Miles from a year ago.  Interesting time ahead.

Gus's contract currently runs through 2020.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Gus's contract currently runs through 2020.

The point being if Gus gets an extension, that would be another year of buy out Auburn would be responsible for, if Gus has not received the yearly (it seems) extension, it would be telling.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The point being if Gus gets an extension, that would be another year of buy out Auburn would be responsible for, if Gus has not received the yearly (it seems) extension, it would be telling.

To my knowledge, he has only gotten extensions when the team performed well.  The 2015 extension was actually from 2014, but the announcement was delayed.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

To my knowledge, he has only gotten extensions when the team performed well.  The 2015 extension was actually from 2014, but the announcement was delayed.

Do you think JJ would deem a trip to the Sugar Bowl as the team performing well?  

17 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you think JJ would deem a trip to the Sugar Bowl as the team performing well?  

I think it gave him some fodder to get some people to back off a bit, but no... I don't think anyone in the AD would consider backing into the Sugar Bowl to be extension worthy... NOW... had we won the Sugar Bowl I would bet Gus's agent would have been on the phone.

There's really one purpose for a contract extension... to keep the coach from leaving. Since the beginning of 2015, no one has been knocking on Gus's door. We'll see what happens with our full stable on offense, next year.

Archived