2017 3* Juco OG Matthew Tanner

ellitor

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since he has 3 to play 2 I think Auburn is banking on they can Red Shirt him for 1 year and have him lose weight the correct way while also working on his technique as many have said his pad level is high and at 345 pounds he would probably be to slow to pull the way Auburn does. Horton is a solid Option at LG and this kid won't compete at tackle. year after will need another guard.

5 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Since he has 3 to play 2 I think Auburn is banking on they can Red Shirt him for 1 year and have him lose weight the correct way while also working on his technique as many have said his pad level is high and at 345 pounds he would probably be to slow to pull the way Auburn does. Horton is a solid Option at LG and this kid won't compete at tackle. year after will need another guard.

Very, very possible.

33 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

You're probably right on.  Depth kind of take.  He need to lose down to at least 320 and increase his flexibility.  I can see he lacks that from his film.  Lateral quickness is slow and should increase as he works himself down in weight.  He will get a good trial by fire probably on the scout team next fall.  

young man plays high and lateral agility is not best right now but he gets downfield and blocks and clearly has a mean streak about him. Will have to work on pad level and getting movement on big down shade DT's and 3 techniques.  However, he has pretty good straighline movement and likes to block downfield. DB's always hate to get hit by 300 pounders.

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

My question is why are we waiting to pull the trigger if he can compete for a starting job? 

Possibly waiting on another OL that no one knows about.  Players like these are add if you can't find better.  Sad but that's the reality.  If he were a high school senior instead of a juco I could see him being a very high 3 star.  Juco seems to lower the grade instead of increase it.  The buyers like those high rated high schoolers.  

10 hours ago, cole256 said:

My question is why are we waiting to pull the trigger if he can compete for a starting job? 

He has an AU offer. What do you mean by pull the trigger?

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

He has an AU offer. What do you mean by pull the trigger?

You said hand had been on him a while and finally decided to offer. Seems to me a guy that's going to play immediately he'd jump out at you. There wouldn't be anything to think about

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

You said hand had been on him a while and finally decided to offer. Seems to me a guy that's going to play immediately he'd jump out at you. There wouldn't be anything to think about

Hand was trying to figure out which guy to offer. Plus I think the high school kid Kai Leon Herbert was higher on Hand's list til he committed to Miami. He could I guess but I don't expect Tanner to play immediately. I think he gets redshirted to reshape his body then try to contend in 2018. Just an opinion.

We need to sign Tanner. And if we're waiting on another OL, we can try Tanner at TE. But I bet we would make room for Matthew on the offensive line.

14 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

We need to sign Tanner. And if we're waiting on another OL, we can try Tanner at TE.

Because there are a lot of 345 lb tight ends out there?

21 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Hey didn't Baylor use the guy that was like 4 bills as a TE last year. I think he went to the combine and ran a decent 40 time for a guy that big. 

26 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yup found it. Not dogging you. Just found the info and thought it was humorous. 

Tight end LaQuan McGowan -- 6-foot-6 1/8, 405 pounds -- ran the 40-yard dash in 5.55 and 5.41 seconds. He had a 24-inch vertical jump and 8-foot-2 broad jump. He did the 20-yard short shuttle in 5.47 seconds and the three-cone drill in 8.25 seconds. He also performed 30 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. For a man of this size to put up these kind of numbers is really impressive. McGowan has to be the biggest prospect we've ever had at a pro day. If you want to get a sense of McGowan's athleticism, take a look at this 18-yard touchdown reception against Kansas last season.

2 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Yup found it. Not dogging you. Just found the info and thought it was humorous. 

Tight end LaQuan McGowan -- 6-foot-6 1/8, 405 pounds -- ran the 40-yard dash in 5.55 and 5.41 seconds. He had a 24-inch vertical jump and 8-foot-2 broad jump. He did the 20-yard short shuttle in 5.47 seconds and the three-cone drill in 8.25 seconds. He also performed 30 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press. For a man of this size to put up these kind of numbers is really impressive. McGowan has to be the biggest prospect we've ever had at a pro day. If you want to get a sense of McGowan's athleticism, take a look at this 18-yard touchdown reception against Kansas last season.

Wow... hard to believe that man is a full time tight end.  Graceful he is not :)

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

AU decided to pass on Tanner.

Crepa writes that he picked BG over AU.....Gus totally losing his touch it seems. ...or just more Crapa from all.com

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Crepa writes that he picked BG over AU.....Gus totally losing his touch it seems. ...or just more Crapa from all.com

Crapa hates Gus. IIRC Gus banned him from a team meeting or practice or some such a while back and Crapa never got over it. Another reason why I haven't clicked on an al.com link for years and years.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Crapea being Crapea. The staff gave Tanner a contingent offer to evaluate him more & up close through an OV. The staff evaluated more & decided to pass.

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

It just makes me wonder what they are saving all these spots for?

There's no point reaching on guys if you do not believe they can be SEC level talent.

Archived