Is this the most anticlimactic recruiting season ever?

lionheartkc

Usually, a week before signing day, this thread is hopping with news and speculation.  This year, it feels like the class is locked down except for a few probablys and a couple of add-ons that no one is excited about. Do you miss the drama or is this the right way to do it each year?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Usually, a week before signing day, this thread is hopping with news and speculation.  This year, it feels like the class is locked down except for a few probablys and a couple of add-ons that no one is excited about. Do you miss the drama or is this the right way to do it each year?

Well I miss the drama cuz that means overall we are not in it for the biggest fish available in the class. This will be the 1st year since 2009 we will not have a NSD national tv commitment.

I don't miss the drama, but I wasn't going to have super strong feelings about this class one way or the other. Let's just say that there hasn't been a strong enough correlation recently between talent signed and on-field results for me to make any assumptions based off of who we sign this year.

I will say this, though: I LOVE not being worried about Stidham, Ashley or Moultry right now. 

16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well I miss the drama cuz that means overall we are not in it for the biggest fish available in the class. This will be the 1st year since 2009 we will not have a NSD national tv commitment.

Amend something here. Bryant is commiting on NSD. Not sure if it's on tv but if it is it could keep the streak alive. He could choose any 1 of AU, UGA, or LSU at this point.

25 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Wait until there is an early signing period.  Then there will be less drama because there will already be a lot of hay in the 'barn'. 

14 minutes ago, LakeBum said:

Wait until there is an early signing period.  Then there will be less drama because there will already be a lot of hay in the 'barn'. 

A lot of drama will just move a bit before Christmas. The good teams will get goodies. The bad ones will get coal.

I'm just bummed we couldn't at least a hat on the table with Cam Akers. This years running backs class makes me sad.  I'm not saying Barrett isn't a solid back, but I liked the days when we were in it for a 5-star. I would think Running Back U, where they turn unknowns into superstars, would be an easy sell.

Other than that.. and being happy with what we did on the QB front (both QBs), I don't have any strong feelings other than being content with the class.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

A lot of drama will just move a bit before Christmas. The good teams will get goodies. The bad ones will get coal.

And Auburn fans will get heartburn...

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm just bummed we couldn't at least a hat on the table with Cam Akers. This years running backs class makes me sad.  I'm not saying Barrett isn't a solid back, but I liked the days when we were in it for a 5-star. I would think Running Back U, where they turn unknowns into superstars would be an easy sell.

Other than that.. and being happy with what we did on the QB front (both QBs), I don't have any strong feelings other than being content with the class.

Yeah - and whatever we are on offense, we are still churning out excellent running backs. 

I am pretty happy with where we are. There are a few more guys I really want but as a quick Recap I may miss somebody

QB- Two one for next two years and one that looks like could develop

O-Line 3 really good players - 1 who might be able to start at LT and two who are recovering from Injuries but have high upsides.

RB - 1 True RB every down type 1 Athlete type and 1 Juco

TE - Juco that looks like we will actually have a pass catching TE and maybe another blocking type

WR - One speed burner  (last year had a bumper crop so need not huge)

Offense looks like we have all the bases covered

LB - Three all appear to be studs with possibility of one more (Almost enough for Mikey LOL assuming we do same next year)

D-Line - 1 so far out of a very weak class of D-Linemen with possibility of one more (bumper crop last year need not huge)

CB - Two one fairly highly rated one we think is a sleeper

S - Two even though one might to move to CB

Defense because of quality of LB's a really good class many people think we need at least 1 more Safety.

Bottom Line is with Stidham and Ashley we filled our biggest needs on Offense and with Moultry, Wooten, Britt we got the LB depth we need to go with all of last years returning starters at LB. This may not be one of our highest rated classes but the way it filled our needs it could turn out to be one of the most needed classes.

As long as we stay in the top 10, I am happy. This is one of the major criteria we try to achieve. Also, as long as we take care of needs as best as possible. We have a good 5 star in Mr. Ashley and a lot of great 4 stars & 3 stars. With the 3 stars, we need to make sure that their upside is very good so that they can get on the field as early as possible and make excellent players of which usually equates quality depth that can keep all players fresh throughout the game.

46 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am pretty happy with where we are. There are a few more guys I really want but as a quick Recap I may miss somebody

QB- Two one for next two years and one that looks like could develop

O-Line 3 really good players - 1 who might be able to start at LT and two who are recovering from Injuries but have high upsides.

RB - 1 True RB every down type 1 Athlete type and 1 Juco

TE - Juco that looks like we will actually have a pass catching TE and maybe another blocking type

WR - One speed burner  (last year had a bumper crop so need not huge)

Offense looks like we have all the bases covered

LB - Three all appear to be studs with possibility of one more (Almost enough for Mikey LOL assuming we do same next year)

D-Line - 1 so far out of a very weak class of D-Linemen with possibility of one more (bumper crop last year need not huge)

CB - Two one fairly highly rated one we think is a sleeper

S - Two even though one might to move to CB

Defense because of quality of LB's a really good class many people think we need at least 1 more Safety.

Bottom Line is with Stidham and Ashley we filled our biggest needs on Offense and with Moultry, Wooten, Britt we got the LB depth we need to go with all of last years returning starters at LB. This may not be one of our highest rated classes but the way it filled our needs it could turn out to be one of the most needed classes.

1. Plus taking a 4th and getting Bro-Hamm in the fold.

2. 2 more possible plus Tashawn Manning coming in the fold.

38 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

As long as we stay in the top 10, I am happy. This is one of the major criteria we try to achieve. Also, as long as we take care of needs as best as possible. We have a good 5 star in Mr. Ashley and a lot of great 4 stars & 3 stars. With the 3 stars, we need to make sure that their upside is very good so that they can get on the field as early as possible and make excellent players of which usually equates quality depth that can keep all players fresh throughout the game.

We likely won't end up in the top 10 even if we hit on Johnson, Taylor, & Bryant.

E, why do you say we will not be top 10 if we hit on those three guys plus bring on two more 3 stars? We are currently 9th on scout, 9th on espn and 13th on rivals with only 19 commits. If we add those three 4 star guys and two 3 star guys you will just have to explain how we fall out of top 10 when most everybody above us is full and nobody below us has room to take more than 5 guys. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, auol72 said:

E, why do you say we will not be top 10 if we hit on those three guys plus bring on two more 3 stars? We are currently 9th on scout, 9th on espn and 13th on rivals with only 19 commits. If we add those three 4 star guys and two 3 star guys you will just have to explain how we fall out of top 10 when most everybody above us is full and nobody below us has room to take more than 5 guys. Thanks.

I only look at the composite as it's the only valid measure IMO. The max score we can get is 259.92 which is still #8 as it is now. If we don't get Bryant the max is 256.47. The 4*s we could get are all low 4*s which doesn't carry much additional weight. Also there are a good # of teams behind us that can take more than 5 and have them be higher rated: Clemson, UISC, Notre Dame, Penn St, UCLA, Florida, & Texas among others. If we do our best this class at 259.92 that has never made the top 10 since there have been 4 sites going back to 2010. And in the last 4 years where the composite changed it's formula it's no better than 12th with an average of 13th.

hearsay is poor, but I heard our LB class is top 2.  I have to think out OL has to be pretty well regarded with the JUCO added in there.  Seems like the only gaping hole is DE.  We may not be top 10 overall, but we got the top QB (must be - he is proven and has experience) to go with some crazy LB and OL.   

44 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I only look at the composite as it's the only valid measure IMO. The max score we can get is 259.92 which is still #8 as it is now. If we don't get Bryant the max is 256.47. The 4*s we could get are all low 4*s which doesn't carry much additional weight. Also there are a good # of teams behind us that can take more than 5 and have them be higher rated: Clemson, UISC, Notre Dame, Penn St, UCLA, Florida, & Texas among others. If we do our best this class at 259.92 that has never made the top 10 since there have been 4 sites going back to 2010. And in the last 4 years where the composite changed it's formula it's no better than 12th with an average of 13th.

what kind of difference is there, relatively, between 12th and 8th?

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

the optics of it and being able to say we had a top 10 class AGAIN and keep the streak alive.

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

so, its mostly aesthetic 

I see it that way when your talking about 8th to 12. there is a much bigger gap in talent accumulated in 4th-8th

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I see it that way when your talking about 8th to 12. there is a much bigger gap in talent accumulated in 4th-8th

Well, yeah. I'm just saying it doesn't really bother me if we don't have a "Top 10" class, when there's not much of a difference between 9 and 12. 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

I have to think out OL has to be pretty well regarded with the JUCO added in there.

You'd think our OL was among the top, but man were there a lot of 5-star O-Linemen available this year.  I'm sure we're top 10 for O-Line, but I don't know how far up in that top 10.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

so, its mostly aesthetic 

In this case yes as our most important player Stidham as a JUCO actually doesn't help us that much.

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Changes from yeer to year but historically it's been easier to win big with top 8 classes opposed to top 12 classes.

Archived