Is this the most anticlimactic recruiting season ever?

lionheartkc

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Changes from yeer to year but historically it's been easier to win big with top 8 classes opposed to top 12 classes.

I mean, it's always going to give an edge to have better recruits. Some people act like the 10 spot is leaps and bounds better than the 11 because it's "in the top 10." 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Welp. Unless we get Bryant it will be a boring day for that reporter.

probaly why they stuck a Auburn man as the reporter! :bow:

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

probaly why they stuck a Auburn man as the reporter! :bow:

Wow! When's the last time Florida didn't have a recruiting reporter on site? The subpar classes are going to bite Mcelwain in the butt eventually.

Wow! When's the last time Florida didn't have a recruiting reporter on site? The subpar classes are going to bite Mcelwain in the butt eventually.

aren't they supposed to close strong? I thought that was the word. Guess not. Swamp donkey may be a good coach but he def is not landing enough big fish. He is just not connecting with these kids. Reading floridas board apparently the assistants are not much better in terms of recruiting.

I'm not feeling the excitement that I have some years. I can do without teenage drama. But I guess I'm just not particularly amazed at our overall class this year. And just eyeballing the numbers, I don't see how Auburn remains in the top 10 -- but even if Auburn does accomplish that, I still perceive it as an overall weak recruiting class for Auburn -- compared to some previous classes. Once again, we see Bama, UGA and LSU pulling in the best classes in the SEC.

Yes, it's really important that Auburn recruit players to meet specific needs. So that is a positive. And there are some (hopefully) really good recruits who will sign on this year. I guess I should be pumping sunshine about that. I just don't feel much excitement about it.

But the important thing is to feel excitement about this year's recruiting class when these kids hit the field!

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

aren't they supposed to close strong? I thought that was the word. Guess not. Swamp donkey may be a good coach but he def is not landing enough big fish. He is just not connecting with these kids. Reading floridas board apparently the assistants are not much better in terms of recruiting.

Swamp donkey? Lol. I know exactly what you mean with those horse teeth meclwain has. It must be the gooberish doofus looks thats killing his recruiting huh?

Just now, AU80cruiser said:

Swamp donkey? Lol. I know exactly what you mean with those horse teeth meclwain has. It must be the gooberish doofus looks thats killing his recruiting huh?

hahaha so now you see the light like me?! welcome! And yes I have always called him swamp donkey.

I'm with Loof on this. To have guys the caliber of Stidham, Ashley, Britt, and Moultry for example and not have all the crap that goes with the drama and games is quite fine by me to say the least.  There is definitely some fun and a feeling of victory when we pull a Cowart out on NSD with the live presser and all, but I'd much rather have the guys locked up and/or already on campus. 

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

what kind of difference is there, relatively, between 12th and 8th?

Well I decided to use Clemson as an example since they were the Champions this year.  Source 247 Sports composite.

2016    11th

2015     7th

2014     17th

2013    15th

2012     15th

Optics what optics!  Take your Jimmies and your Joes and just win!

There is less drama this signing day because we've already nailed down a bunch of guys that normally would be announcing very, very late. This class is a fine one. I think maybe we here on this board have become used to the good bunch already on campus or firmly committed and want some more bright new toys to think about.

Most of our slots are filled already and there's not much drama to be had. Considering how our luck has been running on signing day, I'd rather have them sitting in class at Auburn Feb. 1st and me be bored in front of the TV than watch our hopes go away with kid after kid picking up the wrong hat.

10 hours ago, Newbomb said:

Well I decided to use Clemson as an example since they were the Champions this year.  Source 247 Sports composite.

2016    11th

2015     7th

2014     17th

2013    15th

2012     15th

They had a freakishly good QB which skewed things. That's not a true representation of teams that played for & won the Natty since the BCS era started. Clemson is an outlier. Also if you are going to do that study you have to include every champ & runner up going back to 1999, not just 1 champ. It has been done & this is the 2nd time (same team & QB last year) a team made the the natty with 3 classes lower than 12th in it's 4 classes leading up to the natty run, much less win it.

10 hours ago, Newbomb said:

2016    11th

2015     7th

2014     17th

2013    15th

2012     15th

Something to consider in analyzing Clemson is how they rank relative to their competition.  Since they play in the ACC, how are their rankings when compared to the rest of the teams in that conference?  Without doing the research, I'd venture to say that the only team that's probably comparable (or higher) over that span is Florida St. 

Just now, triangletiger said:

Something to consider in analyzing Clemson is how they rank relative to their competition.  Since they play in the ACC, how are their rankings when compared to the rest of the teams in that conference?  Without doing the research, I'd venture to say that the only team that's probably comparable (or higher) over that span is Florida St. 

they recruit sexy. Have got studs at WR and QB lately which is the flashy positions in college football these days. 

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Gators coaching staff is in a little turmoil at the moment. Also they only have one really good recruiter in Shannon the rest are just so so especially on offense. They just lost a commit from a DB and lost out on Herbert kid to Miami because they have no line coach.

Gator nation getting a little antsy

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Gators coaching staff is in a little turmoil at the moment. Also they only have one really good recruiter in Shannon the rest are just so so especially on offense. Gator nation getting a little antsy

it makes me feel good about all of our solid double hitting recruiters compared to them.

Gators coaching staff is in a little turmoil at the moment. Also they only have one really good recruiter in Shannon the rest are just so so especially on offense. Gator nation getting a little antsy

They are not going to keep winning the East recruiting the way they are. Boom's leftover talent will be gone soon.

They are not going to keep winning the East recruiting the way they are. Boom's leftover talent will be gone soon.

It's inexcusable not to recruit lights out at that school. 

Just look at their QB situation its not very good at all

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

It's inexcusable not to recruit lights out at that school. 

Just look at their QB situation its not very good at all

Yup to both. To Baracle, given the talent in Florida they should be able to sleep walk to a top 12 class yearly even with below average recruiters. They also should never be behind, SCar, UK, Miss St, & Arky this close to NSD which they are.

When you consider Westerman (OL), Cowart (DL) and Roc Thomas - I will take less drama/rankings and more solid, early commitments.   I have a great feeling about Stidham, Britt, Carlson, Ashley, Moultry, Troxell and Barrett to just recite a few.  And Wooten...I heard he has a strong work ethic.  If the choice is less sizzle, but more meat - give me the steak!  

Ruben Foster just came into his own this year and we are still waiting on Cowart to figure this game out....I know I am cherry picking examples, but you get my point.

E, if you look at AU in 2010 our prior four years composite was 6th,23rd,24th and 10th. So yes we were not outside top 12 but 2 of the 4 years but those two were outside top 20, yet we still won it all. It would appear to me the common factor with Clemson would be a fantastic qb. However, it is another example that you do not have to be in top 12 three out of four previous years to win it all.

4 minutes ago, auol72 said:

E, if you look at AU in 2010 our prior four years composite was 6th,23rd,24th and 10th. So yes we were not outside top 12 but 2 of the 4 years but those two were outside top 20, yet we still won it all. It would appear to me the common factor with Clemson would be a fantastic qb. However, it is another example that you do not have to be in top 12 three out of four previous years to win it all.

Nice catch but you still proved my point. We had a freakish QB too that skewes the norm. It is a have too if you don't have a freakish QB. Oregon is the other example.

Archived