2017 Softball Lineup - any guesses?

GBAU83

So, excited for the start of the 2017 softball season.  Was wondering who anyone thought would be starting and replacing some of our key players from last year?  Not sure how the batting order will go, but here are my guesses at who starts in what positions.    What do you any of you think?

Pitcher: Carlson/Martin (some time seen by Swindle and Nemeth)
Catcher: Carlee Wallace
1st Base: Tannon Snow (some relief by Justus Perry)
2nd Base: KK Crocker
3rd Base: Kasey Cooper
SS: Haley Fagan
LF: Madi Gipson
CF: Victoria Draper
RF: Morgan Podany

Of course, mine is just a guess from what I saw last year and fall ball.  Many options to be had.  What do you think?

We've been guessing off and on all offseason.  Here's mine...

Pitcher: Carlson/Martin (some time seen by Swindle and Jenna Abbott)
Catcher: Carlee Wallace & Courtney Shea
1st Base: Tannon Snow (some relief by Justus Perry)
2nd Base: KK Crocker (If Veach gets hot with the bat Kasey Cooper can play some here)
3rd Base: Kasey Cooper (see above)
SS: Haley Fagan
LF: Madi Gipson
CF: Victoria Draper
RF: Whitney Jordan

Totally in line with your projections ellitor.  Saw a couple of practices last week.  Thought Joyner was looking more comfortable as potential back up at SS.  Of course, McCrackin can sub at SS and second base.  During one of the simulations Cooper did practice a round at second but vast majority of time at third.  I feel Veach is being groomed to take over at third after this year.  She is valuable since can play both corner positions.  I may have said it in previous post but the new players seemed to have improved so much since the fall that it has caused me to raise my expectations for the team this year.  Will be quite an accomplishment if the true freshman Crocker starts at second.  If so, can you imagine her first regular season start being against the defending champs?

P: Carlson/Martin
C: Wallace/Shea
1B: Snow
2B: McCrackin
3B: Cooper
SS: Fagan
LF: Jordan
CF: Draper
RF: Gipson
DH: <whomever is not catching>/Veach/Abbott

If the young ones can continue to improve as the season progresses, it could get interesting.

17 hours ago, 4WDE said:

If the young ones can continue to improve as the season progresses, it could get interesting.

I think this is how it will start out against OK.

17 hours ago, 4WDE said:

I think Jordan will go back to RF. I think she has the better arm.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

I think Jordan will go back to RF. I think she has the better arm.

I can't argue that Jordan has the better arm, but Gipson has not worked in LF.  Now, there have been a bunch of people moving around to different positions, but just not that one. Coach Myers is usually reluctant to put a player in a position they haven't worked at in practice (when avoidable).  Word is Veach is practicing at such a high level, they may have to find a spot for her.

1 minute ago, 4WDE said:

I can't argue that Jordan has the better arm, but Gipson has not worked in LF.  Now, there have been a bunch of people moving around to different positions, but just not that one. Coach Myers is usually reluctant to put a player in a position they haven't worked at in practice (when avoidable).  Word is Veach is practicing at such a high level, they may have to find a spot for her.

Has Jordan been in left? She was exclusively in Right Field before Haley & Turtle got hurt at Short last year.

Saw a video posted on twitter yesterday about Whitney Jordan and she is exclusively working in left field right now based on that video.

4 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Saw a video posted on twitter yesterday about Whitney Jordan and she is exclusively working in left field right now based on that video.

Thanks WT! Apologies 4WDE.

13 hours ago, 4WDE said:

That is great for Veach if she is up that much.  Just didn't see a lot of her last year (pinch runners were more speed types than her I guess).  So if they had to get Veach in, DP is always a possibility or is it her defense as well.  If defense, is that at 2nd or 3rd?  I thought she was primarily a 3rd baseman and would be hard to move Cooper off that spot.  But I could see benefits of having the senior move to right side of the infield instead of having two new folks on that side.

I could also adjust my original lineup fo have Jordan in Left Field.

Also see McCrackin at 2nd as a possiblity (pending the Veach move as stated above).

45 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

That is great for Veach if she is up that much.  Just didn't see a lot of her last year (pinch runners were more speed types than her I guess).  So if they had to get Veach in, DP is always a possibility or is it her defense as well.  If defense, is that at 2nd or 3rd?  I thought she was primarily a 3rd baseman and would be hard to move Cooper off that spot.  But I could see benefits of having the senior move to right side of the infield instead of having two new folks on that side.

She is a corner infielder & Coach Clint has already said he is willing to put Coop at 2nd if Veach has a hot bat.

At practices I have attended Veach has played/rotated at the corner infield positions.  Last week seems she was more dedicated at 3rd.  As I stated in previous post, it could be she is being groomed to replace Cooper at 3rd next year.  I believe the talent level has been  elevated to the point that a number of very good players will have to wait their turn.  I doubt I will be able to make the scrimmage tomorrow but maybe someone can and report back to the forum.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Thanks WT! Apologies 4WDE.

No apologies needed :)  Veach has only worked corners and catcher, but she may have the best hands and footwork in the infield.  She's not a prototype middle, but could play it.  In fact, she could play any position given the ability she has, just only so much time and they have to give her work in areas where she could land.  Had hoped to make it to the scrimmage, but not sure.  Any observations would be great!  

Was anyone able to make it out to the scrimmage?  I was hoping someone got some actual eyes on.  I read where Copper and Snow were held out of the scrimmage.  While precautionary I'm sure, it does raise some concern too.  If anyone is able to make it to the practices, it would be interesting to see if they are back active now.  I sure hope so!

1 hour ago, 4WDE said:

Was anyone able to make it out to the scrimmage?  I was hoping someone got some actual eyes on.  I read where Copper and Snow were held out of the scrimmage.  While precautionary I'm sure, it does raise some concern too.  If anyone is able to make it to the practices, it would be interesting to see if they are back active now.  I sure hope so!

Hearing Veech is pushing Snow hard at first base now.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:46 PM, ellitor said:

Hearing Veech is pushing Snow hard at first base now.

According to PM @ Auburn Undercover (non-premium) Snow missed last week due to medical issues (I suspect related to issues she had in the fall) and Veach is supposed to get the start against Oklahoma.  Snow expected back at practice this next week but has not had the reps.  Perry and Abbott will be back-ups.  Fortunate to have such a quality player to step in and play.  Feel bad for Tannon Snow but priority should be her health.

AUBURN | The starting lineup is just about set for No. 2 Auburn’s season opener against No. 1 Oklahoma in a rematch of last year’s national championship series.

One impact newcomer is not expected to be available for the Tigers’ trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and games against the Sooners, No. 13 Washington, Nebraska and BYU.

Washington transfer Tannon Snow has missed the last few practices with an illness.

“When she’s ready she’ll be out there,” Auburn coach Clint Myers said. “She’s a great player and she’s a great kid, but her health is more important than anything else right now so we just got to get her healthy.”

Starting at first base in place of Snow will be sophomore Kendall Veach, who has been one of the Tigers’ top performers during preseason practice.

Efewajmtqzhlgbdhhqfa
Crocker is vying for the starting position at second base.
Dakota Sumpter/Auburn athletics

Auburn returns six starters and its top two pitchers from last season. The biggest remaining position battle is at second base where sophomore Casey McCrackin and freshman KK Crocker are competing to replace All-American Emily Carosone.

“We had Crack out there (Friday) and we had KK (Saturday),” Myers said. “It’s going to be one or the other there. It’s just a matter of who can handle both ends of it. That’s really the only undetermined spot.”

McCrackin hit .310 in 35 appearances as a freshman last season. Crocker joined the team this fall after earning All-State honors for two straight seasons at Hillcrest in Tuscaloosa, Ala.

“Either way I feel like me and Crack both have been working really hard this offseason and the competition is fun at second base,” Crocker said. “At the same time, we’re playing for the same goal so whoever gets put out there we’re going to cheer each other on and play Auburn softball.”

All-American Kasey Cooper returns at third base, Haley Fagan is back healthy and will play shortstop, and Carlee Wallace and Courtney Shea will split time at catcher.

In the outfield, Whitney Jordan will be in right field, Victoria Draper in center and one of three players could start in left field. Returning starter Madi Gipson, a junior, is battling freshman Carmyn Greenwood and sophomore Morgan Podany.

Myers expects all three to start at least one game in left field during the opening four games.

“We can do matchups based on who Oklahoma, Washington, Nebraska and BYU throws,” he said. “A couple of them handle the up pitch better than the other ones and we don’t lose a whole lot on defense.”

On the mound, sophomore Makayla Martin will get the start against the Sooners while junior Kaylee Carlson will face the Huskies.

First pitch against Oklahoma Thursday is set for 1 p.m. CT on ESPNU followed by the Washington game at 7 p.m. The Tigers will play Nebraska Friday at 2 p.m. and BYU Saturday at 10 a.m.

From the link above

I really wish the Oklahoma game was not in the middle of the work day.  If the COO was not visiting work that day I would stream it at the office.  

26 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I really wish the Oklahoma game was not in the middle of the work day.  If the COO was not visiting work that day I would stream it at the office.  

Well you could stay off the net & stream the replay when you get home.

*spoiler* Maybe batting leadoff. 

Archived