Auburn Basketball in 2017-2018

AuburnNTexas

In various topics there has been a lot of talk about Pearls first 2 years and the attrition that we have seen in those years. A few have judged Pearl pretty harshly.

Below is a list of returning scholarship players for 2018 and the two new incoming Freshman:

All of the returning players but Lang are getting significant playing time and as a senior I don't see him leaving.  In looking at the returning players I don't believe we will see much if any attrition for next year. We are losing two key players Ronnie Johnson a PG and Dunans a SG/SF, the incoming freshman are equal to or upgrade to the players leaving however they will lack their experience but unlike this year they will be worked in with a more veteran team.

Horace Spencer  PF     JR
Jared Harper     PG     SO
Bryce Brown    SG     JR
Danjel Purifoy    SG/PF    SO
Mustapha Heron    SG    SO
TJ Lang        SG/PF    SR
Anfernee McLemore PF    SO
Austin Wiley    C    SO

Desean Murray SF/PF    JR Transfer

Incoming Freshman
Chuma Okeke    SF    FR
Davion Mitchell    PG    FR

The following year we will lose Lang but already have a commitment from a 5* 6'10" Power Forward to replace him. Prior to this season I was worried that some of our younger players might leave early for the NBA at this time the only one I honestly think might be good enough to leave early after next year is Wiley and that is assuming he improves a good bit by end of next year. You never know for sure with players so others could think they are ready.

The move of Spencer from C to PF seems to be working well and by next year he should be comfortable there but still get come C minutes to spell Wiley. If they all stay till 2018 season we will be a very, very good team.

Next year and the year after is when we should honestly start judging BP and I believe he will meet or exceed our expectations.

7 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In various topics there has been a lot of talk about Pearls first 2 years and the attrition that we have seen in those years. A few have judged Pearl pretty harshly.

Below is a list of returning scholarship players for 2018 and the two new incoming Freshman:

All of the returning players but Lang are getting significant playing time and as a senior I don't see him leaving.  In looking at the returning players I don't believe we will see much if any attrition for next year. We are losing two key players Ronnie Johnson a PG and Dunans a SG/SF, the incoming freshman are equal to or upgrade to the players leaving however they will lack their experience but unlike this year they will be worked in with a more veteran team.

Horace Spencer  PF     JR
Jared Harper     PG     SO
Bryce Brown    SG     JR
Danjel Purifoy    SG/PF    SO
Mustapha Heron    SG    SO
TJ Lang        SG/PF    SR
Anfernee McLemore PF    SO
Austin Wiley    C    SO

Incoming Freshman
Chuma Okeke    SF    FR
Davion Mitchell    PG    FR

The following year we will lose Lang but already have a commitment from a 5* 6'10" Power Forward to replace him. Prior to this season I was worried that some of our younger players might leave early for the NBA at this time the only one I honestly think might be good enough to leave early after next year is Wiley and that is assuming he improves a good bit by end of next year. You never know for sure with players so others could think they are ready.

The move of Spencer from C to PF seems to be working well and by next year he should be comfortable there but still get come C minutes to spell Wiley. If they all stay till 2018 season we will be a very, very good team.

Next year and the year after is when we should honestly start judging BP and I believe he will meet or exceed our expectations.

You forgot to list transfer forward Desean Murray who will be eligible next season.

Nice job Texas pulling all the names together...but I expect that by Nov, probably  2, maybe 3 of the 12 players named above will not be at AU.

Not trying to be negative, but history shows these days that players are impatient and quick to transfer for more playing time.    I don't see BP playing as many guys next year with such equal distribution of playing time.    If they are up to the task, guys like Wiley, Heron, Purifoy and Harper need to be on the floor for 30 + / - minutes in most games. JMO

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Nice job Texas pulling all the names together...but I expect that by Nov, probably  2, maybe 3 of the 12 players named above will not be at AU.

Not trying to be negative, but history shows these days that players are impatient and quick to transfer for more playing time.    I don't see BP playing as many guys next year with such equal distribution of playing time.    If they are up to the task, guys like Wiley, Heron, Purifoy and Harper need to be on the floor for 30 + / - minutes in most games. JMO

There's 11 players listed and of the ones playing now all but Lang are getting solid minutes. I don't see him leaving as a SR nor anyone else before the next season for that matter. On the 30 minutes thing don't be surprised if Davion gets a good number of the PG minutes. He has more raw ability than Harper in a number of areas.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

There's 11 players listed and of the ones playing now all but Lang are getting solid minutes. I don't see him leaving as a SR nor anyone else before the next season for that matter. On the 30 minutes thing don't be surprised if Davion gets a good number of the PG minutes. He has more raw ability than Harper in a number of areas.

Could be....but odds are against everyone staying....not saying who might leave....and not blaming anyone.....just noting that every year we seem to get surprised by guys who decide to leave for no apparent reason....though it is usually because of playing time... 

33 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Could be....but odds are against everyone staying....not saying who might leave....and not blaming anyone.....just noting that every year we seem to get surprised by guys who decide to leave for no apparent reason....though it is usually because of playing time... 

New Already left. Doubt there will be more.

I'd seriously have to question how anyone could judge Bruce harshly. I mean really, cmon. The man has done an outstanding job all around and it's only getting better. 

While I agree our talent is only getting better next year, I'm very concerned about veteran leadership. I know all the freshmen will have a year of experience but I think we'll miss the calming presence of Ronnie and Dunans. I think BP should bring in a grad transfer or two just to help in that area. But yes, good post. This team is only getting better

7 minutes ago, au302 said:

While I agree our talent is only getting better next year, I'm very concerned about veteran leadership. I know all the freshmen will have a year of experience but I think we'll miss the calming presence of Ronnie and Dunans. I think BP should bring in a grad transfer or two just to help in that area. But yes, good post. This team is only getting better

If we can make the NIT this year I think we can attract a couple more talented GT Big men for next year to help us get in the dance. The talent we will have will look very attractive for a GT. Typically the more players play & have an impact on the game the more affect they will have on other players on the team.

How many more big men do we need? We have three who are playing pretty well this year. Do we need one more or should we look for two? They may get scared off because look at a guy like Laron Smith who thought he'd get decent minutes but is now at the end of the bench. I'm not asking this question because I disagree with you I'm just curious. 

1 hour ago, au302 said:

How many more big men do we need? We have three who are playing pretty well this year. Do we need one more or should we look for two? They may get scared off because look at a guy like Laron Smith who thought he'd get decent minutes but is now at the end of the bench. I'm not asking this question because I disagree with you I'm just curious. 

Only 1 of them consistently rebounds worth a darn & that's the #1 job of a big so we need 1 just for that alone at minimum. Laron will not scare away any potential quality big. Great young man but he has next to no SEC big man ability. Laron is the exact reason I made the post I did. The talent level willing to look at AU should be much higher & better with the young talent we have if we show progression by making the NIT.

Knowing Bruce wanted to sign 1 more big in the class along with a shooting guard & neither one happened I think he will go after the same positions on the grad transfer market.

Awesome. I like the sound of this. I would love another guy who can rebound.  I may be wrong but I can see TJ Lang looking elsewhere as a grad transfer. Assuming we bring in another shooting guard his minutes would only continue to go down. He's rarely seeing the floor as it is.

12 minutes ago, au302 said:

Actually Lang will probably just ride out the season next year. Doesn't make sense for him to leave. But his minutes will suffer.

Sure it does. Kids leave all the time to get to play. Why wouldn't he if he felt he wouldn't get minutes?

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Awesome. I like the sound of this. I would love another guy who can rebound.  I may be wrong but I can see TJ Lang looking elsewhere as a grad transfer. Assuming we bring in another shooting guard his minutes would only continue to go down. He's rarely seeing the floor as it is.

He'll be a Sr sport wise next year. If he doesn't have a degree yet he would have to transfer to D2 or lower.

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Sure it does. Kids leave all the time to get to play. Why wouldn't he if he felt he wouldn't get minutes?

Like I said, can't at the D1 level if he doesn't have a degree before next year. To transfer to another D1 school a player must have a degree or a minimum of 2 years left of playing eligibility.  TJ will have 1.

Archived