Last AU player from your High School

GwillMac6

The Glencoe Fighting Yellow Jackets are proud to be represented by our two current invited walk ons, Jeff Ford and Pace Ozmint. The last scholarship player I can remember was fullback Mike Pope from the early 80s. He was making a move to play and Coach Dye loved him but his mom got terminal cancer and he returned home to be with her. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, weathergeakal said:

Tucker Brown who is on the team right now. Iggy will be on the team next year.

Brandon Cox is the best player from Trussville to play for Auburn.

Tucker's brother Sam was a walk on WR for the natty team.

I had the pleasure of being on the team with Cox at Trussvegas. Don't forget "Oh yes, Lee Guess" and Adlai Trone before them.

Hope Iggy ends up being better than all of them .

3 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I saw Frank Thomas play in high school. Not only the biggest, but fastest and most athletic guy on the field. I think he went to AU to do both and then went just baseball after a year. Probably would have been HOF in football if he had done that.

I've met him once or twice, nice guy! 

I actually don't know an answer... Would be Mathews but he just decommited. A kid I went to school with walked on for 4 years, Blake Schrader. Hmmmm I just can't think of anyone, I'm thinking there was an OL kid.

If I remember correctly, and that's a BIG IF, I think it would be a guy you have to show a lot of love for, Casanova McKinzey. The guy was big, strong, fast and could over run a play with the best of them. But I will say he would play any position and give it all.

Cedric Chambers currently on the team as a walk on. Erique Florence was last on scholly. Most well known Valley Rams would be Terry Daniel and Gerald Williams.

7 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Cedric Chambers currently on the team as a walk on. Erique Florence was last on scholly. Most well known Valley Rams would be Terry Daniel and Gerald Williams.

Terry is a great guy.  Chose him to play on several of my golf teams in the years following his playing days.  He can drive a ball just as strongly as he could kick one.  Really nice, and humble kid too.  It's to bad the NFL wouldn't give him a waiver.  He outkicked everyone for a couple of years at the combine, but his injuries sustained before his time at Auburn wasn't overlooked by the league......

20 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

None. We have a long and not so proud history of sucking in football. Is what it is. :)

Hey thought you lived in Athens,did you not go to school there?Athens had Freddy Smith and Adolf Cosby as the last two I can remember.Freddy was a hell of a lb'er Cosby played but was not the star Freddy was,Freddy would have been a great pro player if he had not gotten injured and never did get back to his playing level before the injury.

Most recent one I can think of is Stan White.  Some earlier notables are Mike Kolen, Rusty Fuller, Andy Steele and Clyde Baumgartner.  The ole alma mater closed in 1994.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Hey thought you lived in Athens,did you not go to school there?Athens had Freddy Smith and Adolf Cosby as the last two I can remember.Freddy was a hell of a lb'er Cosby played but was not the star Freddy was,Freddy would have been a great pro player if he had not gotten injured and never did get back to his playing level before the injury.

Nope, live in Athens city but went to a county school. My kids are better off than I was. :)

Archived