The terrorist have won

AUUSN

18 minutes ago, japantiger said:

:popcorn:

Why?  I love a good liberal meltdown....it's the best form of entertainment going....

This is a liberal position? 

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your whole position is based on the extreme notion that we have no right to restrict who comes into our country and that not knowing who these folks are; is the basis for a reasonable policy.   Keep it up guys....this is why you're in the wilderness now.  You're the political equivalence of Auburn football....and I say more power to you...keep it up....please don't change.

2 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Your whole position is based on the extreme notion that we have no right to restrict who comes into our country and that not knowing who these folks are; is the basis for a reasonable policy.  

Never took that position. You have comprehension problems. 

6 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Your whole position is based on the extreme notion that we have no right to restrict who comes into our country and that not knowing who these folks are; is the basis for a reasonable policy.   Keep it up guys....this is why you're in the wilderness now.  You're the political equivalence of Auburn football....and I say more power to you...keep it up....please don't change.

That's pure BS.

We have a thorough vetting process that takes years and is very effective. Our situation in no way resembles what is happening in Europe (for example).

15 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's pure BS.

We have a thorough vetting process that takes years and is very effective. Our situation in no way resembles what is happening in Europe (for example).

Well, I'm sure you know better than Obama's choices at the FBI and DHS...because they sure as hell said we couldn't vet them and the process was inadequate...but, like I said, I'm sure you're right....because, well, you've been right about so much on this forum.

Donald Trump has broken America's promise to the world

And people are already suffering for it.

President Trump’s executive order barring nearly all refugees from entering the United States has been in effect for less than 24 hours. But it has already upended the lives of real people. It’s keeping families apart and destroying their plans to continue — or rebuild — their lives.

In New York, two Iraqi refugees, Hameed Khalid Darweesh and Haider Sameer Abdulkhaleq Alshawi, were detained overnight at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Both of these men worked with the US military and contractors in Iraq. Their lives were threatened as a result. According to the legal complaint filed on behalf of the two men, Darweesh had his home raided by militia-affiliated police, while two of his coworkers were killed “as soon as they arrived at work”; he had to move twice during his time working with the US for his safety. Alshawi’s brother-in-law (who worked with Alshawi) was killed by an IED placed on a family car.

These horrible events were the direct result of helping the United States. And America turned its back on them in return. (Darweesh was released from detention Saturday afternoon, though it’s not yet clear whether he’ll be allowed to stay in the US.)

These men are just two examples of many that began to come into focus within a day of the order’s signing. A Syrian refugee family was scheduled to fly to Cleveland from a Turkish refugee camp on Tuesday, only to have their travel — and their plan to rebuild their lives — scrapped. An Iranian genomics researcher tweeted Saturday morning that she was excited to start her new job in a Boston lab, but hadn’t been allowed to get on the plane.

These are just the examples we know of. We do not know the full extent to which this policy is already wrecking lives. But we do know that it will continue to do real damage.

The term “Muslim ban” has been a political football for over a year. To some supporters and opponents alike, it was just campaign rhetoric — something to be taken figuratively, not literally. It was a stand-in for fears of Trump’s base, a way to communicate with them at an emotional level.

That’s over.

America crossed a point of no return Friday night. We have made a mockery — not for the first time, but in a way no one living here today can ignore — of our claim to be a beacon of light, a place for huddled masses to take refuge.

Alshawi’s wife and 7-year-old son live in Texas. He had received a refugee visa to be reunited with them from Sweden. The New York Times found Alshawi’s wife in her sister’s house in Texas, crying on the living-room couch:

She pulled out her cellphone and flipped through her pictures. She wanted to show a reporter a picture she had taken of her son’s letter to Santa Claus. In November, at a Macy’s Santa-letter display at a nearby mall, the boy wrote out his wish: “Dear Santa: Can you bring my Dad from Sweden pls.” He has not seen his father in three years.

“I’m really breaking down, because I don’t know what to do,” she said. “It’s not fair.”

She and her relatives had not told her son that his father was finally coming to Houston and that the son’s wish to Santa was about to come true. “It was a surprise for him,” she said.

In Washington, Murtahda Al-Tameemi managed to avoid getting detained and rejected by Border Patrol agents; he was in Canada “to watch his little brother perform in a high-school play” (according to McClatchy’s Hannah Allam) when he heard about the forthcoming order, and returned to the US just in time. But now, he knows he won’t be able to see the rest of his family:

An Iraqi-born software engineer at Facebook’s Seattle office, Al-Tameemi, 24, spent eight years alone in the United States before his family was resettled in 2015 right across the border in Canada. The short commute has allowed the family to spend weekends and holidays together, making up for the years stolen by war.

Now, with the stroke of a pen, Trump has turned that three-hour trip from Seattle to Vancouver into an impassable route. As Iraqi refugees, Al-Tameemi’s family can’t visit him in the United States. And as an Iraqi on a work visa, Al-Tameemi can no longer pop over to Canada – he wouldn’t be allowed to return.

Other legal immigrants, including permanent residents (green-card holders), aren’t so lucky. Reports are already circulating of green-card holders who are trying to return to the US from abroad getting denied entry. "We had a few folks land who landed right around the time the order was issued, who were permitted to go through,” Abed Ayoub of the Arab American Anti-Discrimination Committee told the New York Daily News. “I guess it was the luck of the draw.”

The horrible truth is that, as sudden and disruptive as the order was when it was released and immediately implemented Friday night, it wasn’t unforeseen. President Trump has been threatening some form of immigration restriction from the Muslim world since before the Iowa caucuses; he ran against Hillary Clinton on a promise to curb immigration to the US from particular countries the government deemed unsafe.

This is just the beginning of a very long political and policy battle. The ban on immigrants from the seven targeted countries will last at least 90 days; the ban on refugees will last for months. The lawsuit on behalf of the Iraqi refugees detained at JFK airport, and the other lawsuits that will inevitably follow, will take who-knows-how-long to resolve. We don’t yet know how this story is going to end.

But we can’t unwrite the beginning. These things have happened. America has done these things.

We are beyond the debate over taking something seriously or taking it literally. It is happening, now — it is beyond words entirely. And it is more than serious. It is a tragedy.

http://www.vox.com/2017/1/28/14424528/trump-refugee-ban-impact

1 minute ago, japantiger said:

Well, I'm sure you know better than Obama's choices at the FBI and DHS...because they sure as hell said we couldn't vet them and the process was inadequate...but, like I said, I'm sure you're right....because, well, you've been right about so much on this forum.

We already are vetting them.

Let's have a reverence so we can figure out what you are talking about.  Sounds to me like they were asking for an increase in funding to deal with a proposed increase.

Oh and when writing up you Muslim ban Executive Order, at least get your Law references correct...

Sec. 8. Visa Interview Security. (a) The Secretary of State shall immediately suspend the Visa Interview Waiver Program and ensure compliance with section 222 of the INA, 8 U.S.C. 1222, which requires that all individuals seeking a nonimmigrant visa undergo an in-person interview, subject to specific statutory exceptions.

It should reference 8 U.S.C. 1202.     idiots...

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

:popcorn:

Why?  I love a good liberal meltdown....it's the best form of entertainment going....

Amen. Isn't it fun? And the good thing it looks like we will have it for a long time. Trump is going to stick a burr in their butt every day.

I love how the elites can  tell me who I can or cannot cheer for. And yes, I am a true conservative. We have seen this open door policy with Muslims before. It's called Europe. Not working out so well. Anyone who tries to tell you differently is lying. 

10 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

I love how the elites can  tell me who I can or cannot cheer for. And yes, I am a true conservative. We have seen this open door policy with Muslims before. It's called Europe. Not working out so well. Anyone who tries to tell you differently is lying. 

But it's definitely not a Muslim ban right @japantiger

:rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, AUUSN said:

But it's definitely not a Muslim ban right @japantiger

:rolleyes:

Not able to win the argument, you go ahead and change it. 

20 minutes ago, AURaptor said:

Your hate for Islam and all Muslims has been long recognized on this forum.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Your hate for Islam and all Muslims has been long recognized on this forum.

I'm not a fan of their fairy tale religion, that's true. But there is no ' hate '. 

Hate is properly reserved for those who rape women and behead little children in the name of Allah. 

its amazing how much lefties luv 'em some Muzzies. Well, I guess they love 'em so much because a LOT of Muzzies hate america as much as lefties apparently do which makes me wonder why they want to come here so badly....hmmm! I wonder.

3 minutes ago, TheBlueVue said:

its amazing how much lefties luv 'em some Muzzies. Well, I guess they love 'em so much because a LOT of Muzzies hate america as much as lefties apparently do which makes me wonder why they want to come here so badly....hmmm! I wonder.

There's some projection going on, in that they WANT Muslims to be the kind, peaceful , gentle people we've been told they were. Also, there's the ' We are the world ' sort of vibe the Euro leaders and hard Lefties wanted to portray. If only life were like a t.v.  ad, where all we had to do was share a Coke™ and a smile. 

That ain't reality. 

As we've seen all through Europe, it's been more of a clash of cultures than a Michael Jackson video. 

What's amazing is how the right wing nuts can't see that banning a religion sets a dangerous precedent. Next guy that is elected might not like Christians. You aren't Muslim so it doesn't bother you, but what if one day its you they decide to come after?

3 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

What's amazing is how the right wing nuts can't see that banning a religion sets a dangerous precedent. Next guy that is elected might not like Christians. You aren't Muslim so it doesn't bother you, but what if one day its you they decide to come after?

Elle, your post is factually inaccurate.  There is no muslim ban.  There is no reference to any religion in the order....and it is virtually the same as Obama's 2011 order that restricted immigration from Iraq....Get the facts correct before you make a statement.  You're no better than Homey and USN in this regard.  This restricts immigration from a handful of countries...Muslims from Turkey, Indonesia, Egypt and Saudi Arabia face no ban...those are the largest muslim countries on earth. 

38 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I didn't hear you complaining when Obama had restrictions on how many Christian refugees could come from Muslim countries.

Archived