Last huge surprise recruit that signed with AU?

gr82b4au

11 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Lord there is so so much I could say but I would have to ban myself....................................:timeout:

Some things are betta left unsaid young grasshoppa. Go your way in peace.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, ellitor said:

He was a NSD surprise. We were trying hard to get Reuben Randle.

do you remember how realistic it was for us to get randle at the time? I think I recall him and bryce brown being on the same OV weekend that year to AU.

20 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

do you remember how realistic it was for us to get randle at the time? I think I recall him and bryce brown being on the same OV weekend that year to AU.

We thought it was realistic but most didn't.

I remember something about Willie Anderson being a hugely pleasant surprise for us because Bama got Charlie Dare and, at least in the Quad Cities, it was expected Bama would get Willie too - or something like that.

I can play the I remember game...I remember reading my local paper (Sunday section, Parade Magazine) and seeing hometown boy, Ron Stallworth, the #1 rated player or D player in the country list Auburn as his top choice in '85 or '86.  He came to Auburn, but couldn't really play at Coach Dye's level until late in his junior year.  

Recently: loved seeing Derrick Brown on my computer as signed :)

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Maybe you should have let his mom know too...

Wasn't just his mom. Both parents wanted him at Bama.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I'm saying it was a JUCO transfer name Cam Newton.

Not a surprise once we offered.

17 hours ago, ellitor said:

That's a question for @augolf1716 @bigbird and @WarDamnEagleWDE. I did not follow as closely then and it surprised me. My general impression was we felt good for a while but became a toss up on NSD.

AU had no idea what Lemonier was going to do. Was a surprise. 

18 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Someone that nobody was expecting. 

We've never been surprised by a recruit, because we have Ellitor!  He always finds the good info and shares it freely with us.

Well, except Pat Miller.  Even E was shocked about that one.  LOL.

36 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

We've never been surprised by a recruit, because we have Ellitor!  He always finds the good info and shares it freely with us.

Well, except Pat Miller.  Even E was shocked about that one.  LOL.

What do you want & how much is it going to cost me?

6 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Derrick brown was a pretty big get last year. I didn't think it would happen

We were in the lead the last month if not longer despite what some media said.

15 minutes ago, tinman said:

Devin Aromashudu?    I seems to remember him being a surprise last minute.

Sticking with WRs, seems like Deangelo Benton came out of nowhere... or was it Emory Blake... or both?

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sticking with WRs, seems like Deangelo Benton came out of nowhere... or was it Emory Blake... or both?

Both.

Not a huge recruit, but a great guy who turned into a pretty huge asset for the team, Jonathan Wallace was signing with UCF when he woke up on NSD but got the call from Chizik that morning. Ended up starting some games his true freshman year too.

22 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I thought Elijah Daniel was a surprise. Seems like we lost a high recruit on signing day and picked him up on signing day.

Wasn't it a great pickup getting him to sign?

One of the earth shattering surprises that didn't happen was when Dee Hart was expected to go to Bama, but nearly showed up at Auburn instead. 

On 1/30/2017 at 6:52 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Deangelo benton was a huge surprise on nsd for me! I admit I did not follow as closely as I do now but that was a fun moment for AU at the time.

Benton is the only 4+ Star commit I can recall that was literally nowhere on our (the fans') radar prior to NSD. 

Archived