Who Do You Think We'll Close With?

WarEagle231

7 early enrollees and 13 hard commits. This means that we have a number of open spots to fill, although we may not fill them all.

What is your best guess on who we add today and tomorrow to close out this class?

I just hope we end up with a surprise mid 3 star signing like we did in 2014 with Markell Boston, 2015 Mike Horton, and 2016 Daniel Thomas. These guys weren't even discussed much until the weekend before or couple days before signing day. Boston has been a contributor in special teams, Horton is one of our top reserve OL, and Thomas is in line to start at safety/nickel this year. I'd say each paid off although they weren't highly touted recruits, hopefully the trend continues this year with someone else that fits the same mold.

I get worried when our "insiders" aren't posting positive info about recruits, especially this late in the game.  This place should be hopping with predictions by those closest to the program.  I expect not to land any of the 3 remaining targets (Bryant, Benton, Taylor).

1 hour ago, WarEagle231 said:

7 early enrollees and 13 hard commits. This means that we have a number of open spots to fill, although we may not fill them all.

What is your best guess on who we add today and tomorrow to close out this class?

Bryant & Truesdell although I'm still not sure AU will offer Truesdell. A grad transfer WR &/or DL. 1-2 spots for 2018 January enrollies which could go to 3-5 if parts or all of my 1st 2 sentences don't pan out.

But but we finished 2nd in the SEC last year, the recruits should be banging down our doors to get here.

I think our class is very solid but we are definitely limping to the finish. Another 1-2 quality DL, another good OL, and one or both of those really good safetys we were on and this class would have a different feel to it. Our late momentum has been in the wrong direction, for sure. On the field product has got to get better or this will be the trend though. I think we will see that (i.e. better on field) in 2017 (fingers crossed).

honestly? no one. I do not think that is being negative either. Just realistic at this point. I really do not see what ESPN is going to report on being at Auburn all day on NSD. Guess they can fax watch as all the LOI come in from our committed players.

9 minutes ago, fishepa said:

But but we finished 2nd in the SEC last year, the recruits should be banging down our doors to get here.

That's the fallacy that most fans have. The recruits are swayed more during their Junior year. A lot of them have their choices narrowed down by the start of their Senior season. With all of the negativity from our fan base, the media, etc. and negative recruiting by other schools, we didn't have a chance with some of the better talent for this class. Last year's improvement may have helped comfort and reaffirm some of this years commits/signees, but the impact won't be until next years group. Considering all of the negativity, we will have a solid signing class. 

12 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

That's the fallacy that most fans have. The recruits are swayed more during their Junior year. A lot of them have their choices narrowed down by the start of their Senior season. With all of the negativity from our fan base, the media, etc. and negative recruiting by other schools, we didn't have a chance with some of the better talent for this class. Last year's improvement may have helped comfort and reaffirm some of this years commits/signees, but the impact won't be until next years group. Considering all of the negativity, we will have a solid signing class. 

Fish's post was sarcasm FTR.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You're learning!

Na. Sun shining something something dog's butt something something.

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

A strong a fan I accept zero responsibility for recruiting. Our coaches got out worked this year in large part , plain and simple. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Bryant & Truesdell although I'm still not sure AU will offer Truesdell. A grad transfer WR &/or DL. 1-2 spots for 2018 January enrollies which could go to 3-5 if parts or all of my 1st 2 sentences don't pan out.

Why on earth would we take a grad transfer at WR?  Between the HB, and now the supposedly new focus on TE's that cuts down on WR slots on the field.  We couldn't even get our best WR's on the field this past year and we've got McClain coming off redshirt?  Why waste a scholly on a grad transfer that could be used for an early enrollee?

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Why on earth would we take a grad transfer at WR?  Between the HB, and now the supposedly new focus on TE's that cuts down on WR slots on the field.  We couldn't even get our best WR's on the field this past year and we've got McClain coming off redshirt?  Why waste a scholly on a grad transfer that could be used for an early enrollee?

Well the plan always in the class to take 2 or 3 WRs but we only got 1 so they could go the GT route to meet the number.

TEs won't cut down on WR slots. A lot of TE work will be at HB. Also if Chip has full control you will see more 4 WR sets too.

We could have gotten our best WRs on the field if Gus hadn't been nit picky on things like running routes over talent.

Good question but given the numbers they wanted in the class I could see them doing it.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

TEs won't cut down on WR slots. A lot of TE work will be at HB. Also if Chip has full control you will see more 4 WR sets too.

Gotcha.  Any names being floated (i.e. is there any talent out there we'd want as a GT at WR)?

Just now, McLoofus said:

If he's good enough to be on the 2-deep, then why wouldn't we? 

My thinking was (and maybe this is wrong) but why use a scholly on a 1 and done, when you could use the extra slot to get a guy for 3 or 4 years as an EE next year to count back on the small class this year?  Wouldn't we lose the ability to do that if we signed a transfer?  I guess if there is a megatron out there that could be a season changer then yeah, win now and worry about the future later.

9 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Gotcha.  Any names being floated (i.e. is there any talent out there we'd want as a GT at WR)?

Most GT names don't appear til after NSD so I have no clue.

Reading the posts in this thread reminded me that the run-up to NSD really brings out the worst in Auburn fans. Or some, at least. Some of the people here have already turned on specific coaches. That really is a sign of class.

49 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

My thinking was (and maybe this is wrong) but why use a scholly on a 1 and done, when you could use the extra slot to get a guy for 3 or 4 years as an EE next year to count back on the small class this year?  Wouldn't we lose the ability to do that if we signed a transfer?  I guess if there is a megatron out there that could be a season changer then yeah, win now and worry about the future later.

Fair point. I guess I just look at it as, if we feel strongly that he can help us win now, then he's more valuable than the possibility of there being 3-4 quality EEs next season. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush and all that. But maybe we should expect that many solid EEs or more every season. I'm completely ignorant about that. 

1 hour ago, WarEagle231 said:

Why in the hell would any Auburn man or woman click on that link?!?!?

I could see, possibly, getting a GT DE who could rush the passer; but other than that I do not see any positions where a GT could help the team. We have good dept at all positions right now. One and done does not help down the road. 

Archived