Who Do You Think We'll Close With?

WarEagle231

4 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

I could see, possibly, getting a GT DE who could rush the passer; but other than that I do not see any positions where a GT could help the team. We have good dept at all positions right now. One and done does not help down the road. 

A GT OL could definitely help the team immediately. The only 2 locked in to start are Braden & Golson & they are not locked in at C or RG. While there is high hope for potential on about 5 guys for the other 3 spots, none of them are guaranteed to be impact players in 2017. I mostly agree on the rest of the positions though.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Well the plan always in the class to take 2 or 3 WRs but we only got 1 so they could go the GT route to meet the number.

TEs won't cut down on WR slots. A lot of TE work will be at HB. Also if Chip has full control you will see more 4 WR sets too.

We could have gotten our best WRs on the field if Gus hadn't been nit picky on things like running routes over talent.

Good question but given the numbers they wanted in the class I could see them doing it.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but if AU is desperate to fill one more slot on at the WR position, then I would take a shot at James Robinson. Keep him on a short leash for his first year, but at this point he might be worth the risk. Also that would give Kodi two 4* star WR in his first AU recruiting class, which then may give him a little confidence on the recruiting front. 

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

honestly? no one. I do not think that is being negative either. Just realistic at this point. I really do not see what ESPN is going to report on being at Auburn all day on NSD. Guess they can fax watch as all the LOI come in from our committed players.

That's ok... they don't want to spend too much time with Cole on screen when they can be at bama Rutledge.jpg
or Michigan...
ct-jen-lada-joining-espn-20150623

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

A GT OL could definitely help the team immediately. The only 2 locked in to start are Braden & Golson & they are not locked in at C or RG. While there is high hope for potential on about 5 guys for the other 3 spots, none of them are guaranteed to be impact players in 2017. I mostly agree on the rest of the positions though.

I am surprised you don't have Darius James locked in as a starter. I could see him moving to RT if Ashley shines in fall camp but as a starter at LT for half the season I would think he probably would have a spot. While I have no problem with getting a GT what are the odds of having a GT wanting to leave his own school who is good enough to start in the SEC especially in the O-line.

30 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am surprised you don't have Darius James locked in as a starter. I could see him moving to RT if Ashley shines in fall camp but as a starter at LT for half the season I would think he probably would have a spot. While I have no problem with getting a GT what are the odds of having a GT wanting to leave his own school who is good enough to start in the SEC especially in the O-line.

It's not me. Just passing on the info that's going around. He can be anywhere from starting LT, RT, LG, to first man off the bench.

There have been GT OLs transfer into the SEC each of the past 3 years at least who started their year in the SEC.

The reason that it seems like Auburn is not doing as well for this class is due the majority of its commits not being on the fence about their recruitment. Auburn will get just as many commits as it has in previous years. Bryant announces along with Taylor but that's about it for the announcements Auburn is involved in. I think this is actually more so due to most of Auburn's recruits just already being fully committed or even on campus. We got one five star recruit last year according to many sites, and that was Derrick Brown. Some sites had us with 3. Stidtham has got to be a 5 star qb recruit for us right now just because of how big he is needed. Don't confuse Auburn's lack of air time on signing day with the fact that it has a bad class. Plenty of 4 stars all over the board for this class, and needs were, for the most part, met. 

A bird in the hand... I am thankful for the kids that chose the O and B. At this point we will have elite talent in every position going into 2017 so one good class is not going to hurt us. 

What will hurt us is:

* being predictable on offense in 2017. Chip better turn this thing around

* losing to UGA again

* losing to top 10 teams again

* not playing for the SEC title in 2017 with a loaded team

We need to show we can win the big games and get kids excited about coming to AU again. We have lost our luster and we need to get it back. CHIP STIDHAM 17

Loaded team? This was a very young group. The entire offensive battery was made of Sophomores. An inordinate amount of WR/TE production came from underclassmen. We started a true freshman on the DL. We had two Sophomore starting LBs. We had one Sophomore and one Freshman starting at CB. I mean, this team was never going to win the SEC. It wasn't going to happen. That's not revisionist history. That was the expectation going into the season. No one picked us to play in Atlanta, and no one thought we were a "loaded" team.

Expectations were stretched out of whack during the mid-season run, and we finished with a thud. The signing class had more to do with losing McGriff and failing to close on a couple of guys than it did with anything that happened last year. Seriously. If Crime Dog had remained on the staff, at worst, we sign either Devon Hunter or CJ Avery. Possibly both. If you add one or two of those guys and close on Taylor, Johnson, and Bryant, this is a GREAT class. As it is, this is a good class.

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

Loaded team? This was a very young group. The entire offensive battery was made of Sophomores. An inordinate amount of WR/TE production came from underclassmen. We started a true freshman on the DL. We had two Sophomore starting LBs. We had one Sophomore and one Freshman starting at CB. I mean, this team was never going to win the SEC. It wasn't going to happen. That's not revisionist history. That was the expectation going into the season. No one picked us to play in Atlanta, and no one thought we were a "loaded" team.

Expectations were stretched out of whack during the mid-season run, and we finished with a thud. The signing class had more to do with losing McGriff and failing to close on a couple of guys than it did with anything that happened last year. Seriously. If Crime Dog had remained on the staff, at worst, we sign either Devon Hunter or CJ Avery. Possibly both. If you add one or two of those guys and close on Taylor, Johnson, and Bryant, this is a GREAT class. As it is, this is a good class.

I can appreciate your perspective. But regarding going to Atlanta, that should be at least a stretch goal for a team that has multiple Top 10 recruiting classes on its roster. We haven't sniffed Atlanta the past few years. Five of the past six years we have had 5 or more losses. Regarding the recruiting ifs, every team lost a coach or coordinator or two including Bama and LSU but they are way ahead of us recruiting. We aren't going to sign Taylor. A team that fired its head coach in September is. And we aren't going to sign Johnson after losing him to a team a couple of thousand miles away. In fact, we've signed exactly one recruit from Mobile the past three years. Bama UF, LSU, and FSU have signed a bunch from there. Getting rid of Dameyune was a big mistake for that reason alone. Meanwhile, we are bringing in Bowling Green level recruits from Eastern Arizona. This is a good recruiting  class. Good enough for 4th of 7 teams in the SEC West. And that's the average finish for us the past 6 or 7 years. Auburn is at a crossroads and we need  to step it up big time. Otherwise we are going to get left in the dust of the conference big dogs. 

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

It's not me. Just passing on the info that's going around. He can be anywhere from starting LT, RT, LG, to first man off the bench.

There have been GT OLs transfer into the SEC each of the past 3 years at least who started their year in the SEC.

Any chance James moves inside? From what I saw at times he seems a little slow footed for an LT. At his size, he could be a load on the interior. 

Except for the QB position, this class definitely lacks the luster of the last few years. However, there is only one thing that will tell the tale: TIME.  Hope we can pull a surprise on signing day, but I don't see it. We need to start winning and start playing better to lure the big recruits. 

We have had a good class so far.  I like the number of early enrollees that will be in spring training.  We got the QB we desperately needed and hopefully a revamped offense.  Defense will be almost as good in my opinion.  Yes, we lost Lawson and Monty but I think the other guys will step up, not to mention we add some guys that sit out last year or were redshirts (James, Dean, and Coe come to mind).  The D will get better as the season progresses. The implementation of the TE in the offense and an actual passing attack to go along with the more seasoned KJ and KP is exciting.  Having Legatron back is a bonus, as he could have gone to the NFL.  Also Kozan, Smith, and James back on the OL should keep our QB protection solid.  Can't wait to see our WR's get lots of catches next year.  Must maximize that talent in the position.

Having said that, I feel we have added the recruits that we needed to fill out the depth chart.  Some will play this year, while some will redshirt.  I would like us to close with Taylor, Bryant, and Benton and be done, however I do not see that happening.  If we get two of the three, I think that would be a solid finish.  Regardless, I like our class even if it is not one of the top classes.  We filled our needs.  What is more important than recruiting this year, is getting our offense deadly once again and continuing to get even better on defense.  If we do those things, we can be really excited about next season.

3 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

Any chance James moves inside? From what I saw at times he seems a little slow footed for an LT. At his size, he could be a load on the interior. 

He would prefer inside.

From what I saw of Horton, I'll be surprised if he's not starting at LG next year. He looked fantastic every time he hit the field.

Archived