UT Postgame

jared52

Ah the quick rollercoaster of basketball season. Fun stuff isn't it?

Bad start sunk AU early. Not the night hoped for. Maybe folks will finally see AU isn't close to being a bubble team and be more realistic with their expectations. The NIT was always going to be a stretch and still is. Still hopeful they can get there.

Losing seems to be the only major scenario that motivates this team. After a win they think they're all NBA caliber so selfish basketball becomes pervasive across the team.

This is like high quality street ball when we play selfishly. I'd rather us run the offense and not be as explosive rather than being fun to watch sometimes but absolutely horrendous at others. 

If this team comes away with a win then they take a step back to admire their work. And I am so sick of hearing how young this team is. They have played 20 games overall and 9 in the conference and how many teams have handed Auburn its a$$ at home? How long do we have to wait before do these young players stop playing like young players.?

next  year.....I'm afraid.  they'll make postseason and NIT possible but Purifoy being limited makes them really trigger happy.  Still, much better than last decade

8 hours ago, milehighfan said:

If this team comes away with a win then they take a step back to admire their work. And I am so sick of hearing how young this team is. They have played 20 games overall and 9 in the conference and how many teams have handed Auburn its a$$ at home? How long do we have to wait before do these young players stop playing like young players.?

But isn't that a sign of a young, inexperienced team? IMO the lack of consistency is directly attributable to the lack of experience and youth on the roster. 

I'll also add that Bryce Brown deserves some credit for his play in the last few games. He has played the best defense on the team, and his energy level on the court seems to wear off on the other guys.

He needs to start over Dunans now.

3 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Wen we win y'all true fans but wen we lose y'all switch up so quick

TJ's just irritated that the fans, including many students were heading for the exits with a lot of time left on the clock.  

1 hour ago, keesler said:

TJ's just irritated that the fans, including many students were heading for the exits with a lot of time left on the clock.  

In the fans defense, the team seemed to head for the exits 2 min into the game... 

I keed, I keed.... 

Mental toughness, that's it. When will they stop acting like freshmen, when they are no longer freshmen.  

Step back from the ledge, still have plenty to play for. Am I the only one who sees how far we have come from the recent past? 

1 minute ago, JwgreDeux said:

Mental toughness, that's it. When will they stop acting like freshmen, when they are no longer freshmen.  

Step back from the ledge, still have plenty to play for. Am I the only one who sees how far we have come from the recent past? 

From year to year, no, the difference is pretty big. But from the start of the season to now? The team is still evolving, they aren't better or worse than they were a month ago. Just different. It will get better, but it might not be this year.

3 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I'll also add that Bryce Brown deserves some credit for his play in the last few games. He has played the best defense on the team, and his energy level on the court seems to wear off on the other guys.

He needs to start over Dunans now.

Brown has stepped it up over three or four games, especially on defense. During last nights game, late in the game, Auburn mounting its final charge and they committed a foul and one of the announcers said he heard Brown  tell the player who committed the foul, you didn't want to foul there. Showing a sign of leadership.

Is there any word on Horace's injury? I had read it was his birthday so that's a double whammy. Catching an L and getting injured on your bday -- ouch

7 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

oh boy....kinda' extreme ain't it,tj?....sad to see

He's right. It's not a good thing for the fans to walk out because their team is losing. The team works very hard and they play hard despite what some of you think. It's disheartening for them to feel unsupported by the fans because they are struggling at times.

Don't you ever try to look at it from someone else's perspective?

7 hours ago, tombigbeetiger said:

oh boy....kinda' extreme ain't it,tj?....sad to see

Not extreme he is telling the truth.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

He's right. It's not a good thing for the fans to walk out because their team is losing. The team works very hard and they play hard despite what some of you think. It's disheartening for them to feel unsupported by the fans because they are struggling at times.

Don't you ever try to look at it from someone else's perspective?

Maybe the players can let the fans know ahead of time which games they are actually going to give full effort in and this could be alleviated?  It's also disheartening for fans to pay their money and spend their own precious time to come watch a team that gives up in the first half.  Keep the attitude going of low effort on the court and calling out fans and there won't be any fans. How ungrateful can a player be?  Personally to me, a player calling out fans almost guarantees less fan support in hard times. Who in their right mind is going to support a player that is supposed to have senior leadership and be able to help keep the team from complete and total meltdowns every other game but doesn't and in return attacks the fans?  He just lost my vote for team leader.  Fans aren't automatic guarantees. They are earned.  Just sayin

A couple spurts notwithstanding, our "bad start" basically lasted until about 7 minutes left in the game. Pearl's outstanding resume and coaching style speak for themselves IMO but this was a shockingly undisciplined game where our offensive plan appeared to be bald athleticism alone.

Man I hope Brown is put back in as a starter over Dunans. He can help us start better defensively and if he's not shooting well Dunans can give us a spark off the bench. Really hope BP considers that 

21 minutes ago, au302 said:

Man I hope Brown is put back in as a starter over Dunans. He can help us start better defensively and if he's not shooting well Dunans can give us a spark off the bench. Really hope BP considers that 

That could be....and if DP is indeed not able to play at full speed, it's hard to see why he is on the floor for 30 minutes when he can neither score nor play effective defense.   Until he is 100%, might be worthwhile to have a stronger defensive player in his place.  We seem to have adequate offensive firepower right now without him.

3 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Maybe the players can let the fans know ahead of time which games they are actually going to give full effort in and this could be alleviated?  It's also disheartening for fans to pay their money and spend their own precious time to come watch a team that gives up in the first half.  Keep the attitude going of low effort on the court and calling out fans and there won't be any fans. How ungrateful can a player be?  Personally to me, a player calling out fans almost guarantees less fan support in hard times. Who in their right mind is going to support a player that is supposed to have senior leadership and be able to help keep the team from complete and total meltdowns every other game but doesn't and in return attacks the fans?  He just lost my vote for team leader.  Fans aren't automatic guarantees. They are earned.  Just sayin

You think our players don't give full effort? They're attending school and playing basketball. Basketball is fun to them, that's why they've played it all their life. That team wants to win more than any Auburn fan, and you don't think they're giving effort when they play? Come on, that's not reasonable. Of course they give effort. Of course they do their best. Sometimes the chips don't fall early on, and you get in a slump. Inconsistent? Yes. A case of them not giving effort? No. 

I agree with that. I too used to think it was lack of effort but the more I watch the more I realize its other things leading to our issues. I will argue that we played more intense defense the last 7 minutes or so but that doesn't mean the first 33 were played without effort. I keep thinking that we would be so good if we played defense that intense the whole game, but even with our good depth that's still a hard thing to do for 40 mins 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

You think our players don't give full effort? They're attending school and playing basketball. Basketball is fun to them, that's why they've played it all their life. That team wants to win more than any Auburn fan, and you don't think they're giving effort when they play? Come on, that's not reasonable. Of course they give effort. Of course they do their best. Sometimes the chips don't fall early on, and you get in a slump. Inconsistent? Yes. A case of them not giving effort? No. 

I have commented multiple games about my admiration for the effort this team has played with even in games when they played poorly.

last night ... the kids absolutely were not giving it their all in the first half.  I could see it ... so did CBP and he called them out for it in one of the "miked up" segments.

overall this year, effort has been solid.  In the first half last night, some players got frustrated and their energy level dropped.  I thought it was fairly obvious.

i doubt that is a pervasive thing ... but it happened last night.

Archived