NSD 2017 discussion thread

ellitor

It would be interesting to know how many Alabama grey shirted players eventually started and became a possible draft pick for the NFL?

I am not going to diss this kid for wanting to play for a team we don't care for. How can we know what is in his heart? His dream to play for a team that is in the national championship hunt every year and has a very good defense with so many players deemed capable of playing in the NFL is to me an easy sell. As we have seen with players we THOUGHT were going to sign with us and then sign with Bama, they don't mind waiting their turn to contribute with all the national exposure his defensive players get from the media. 

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the differing rankings etc from one recruiting site to another confuzzle me to no end. i have no links and a somewhat bad memory but i read where moultry got his 5th star? and also saw where barrett is/was supposed to be the number one tailback florida. today i read he is a four star. is this because i might have been on a pro bama site i was unaware of? and for the record it was not the birmingham news site that is online. so how does one know how to judge or whom to believe? i am not trying to call anyone out on here with a diffeing opinion i am just trying to figure out how rankings can be so varying.

19 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I think it's a very good class, not elite.  Consensus 10th ranked, but that's only good for 5th in the SEC. 

Best get on offense:  clearly Jarrett Stidham.  Best get on defense:  TD Moultry.

We could have used more pass rushers.  Bryant kept it from being a complete whiff which was huge.

Just checked. 247 Consensus has us #9 now ahead of A&M. Nice.

4 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the differing rankings etc from one recruiting site to another confuzzle me to no end. i have no links and a somewhat bad memory but i read where moultry got his 5th star? and also saw where barrett is/was supposed to be the number one tailback florida. today i read he is a four star. is this because i might have been on a pro bama site i was unaware of? and for the record it was not the birmingham news site that is online. so how does one know how to judge or whom to believe? i am not trying to call anyone out on here with a diffeing opinion i am just trying to figure out how rankings can be so varying.

Pretty sure Moultry got his fifth star in the 247 rankings, but that alone was not enough to bump him up to a five star in the Composite rankings.

That's what JLee at Rivals said.

I mean, if Parks or someone like that just called us out of the blue we'd certainly take it.  But no one's expecting any further signees for us.

Each year 3 star players out play many 5 stars in college football yet people still buy the rankings BS. It's all about player development. I think one reason for this is a lot of the top 300 players didn't have hard competition in high school (small region, small school, etc.) so they're obviously gonna be 10X bigger and better than everyone in HS. Just my opinion. 

Is it really that important what other people or so-called rating services think about a HS player as opposed to what our coaches think?  

Just saying...4*  or 5*...Moultry is the same guy with the same potential and some pretty serious a competent coaches are very happy to have him on the team.....as am I. 

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Each year 3 star players out play many 5 stars in college football yet people still buy the rankings BS. It's all about player development. I think one reason for this is a lot of the top 300 players didn't have hard competition in high school (small region, small school, etc.) so they're obviously gonna be 10X bigger and better than everyone in HS. Just my opinion. 

To be fair, while recruiting is certainly an inexact science, there is a far greater likelihood for 5 star players to make it big than for 3 star players to do so. It's like the odds of a player panning out...Auburn did well enough this year that, with just a couple of diamond-in-the-rough pickups and normal development of the higher rated players, we can reasonably say we held our own, but over time the teams that consistently get the higher rated talent are typically going to be the top teams in the country.

I started the day as a Sunshine Pumper and now more so. QB Stud and a great backup, O-Line Stud and two other very good players who could eventually be starters, RB a Stud with another solid RB, TE - Great pass catching TE from Juco and an all purpose TE/HB, WR 1 player with speed to spare, LB 1 Stud and two very good LB's, DE/Buck a player we wanted but didn't expect to get, 2 solid DT's, 1 CB and two safeties plus two athletes both with potential to play safety one also could be a WR and one also could be a RB.  Plus on Special teams we have a LS and Kicker. We basically filled all of our needs.  We even added some juice at the end with D-Line pick up that was not expected and on top of that we have Parks who will provide posters days worth of posts about  how bad bama is and what a poor choice he made by grey shirting to bama. 

13 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

To be fair, while recruiting is certainly an inexact science, there is a far greater likelihood for 5 star players to make it big than for 3 star players to do so. It's like the odds of a player panning out...Auburn did well enough this year that, with just a couple of diamond-in-the-rough pickups and normal development of the higher rated players, we can reasonably say we held our own, but over time the teams that consistently get the higher rated talent are typically going to be the top teams in the country.

How many top 5 recruiting classes has lsu had the past 10 years? What do they have to show for it besides sending a bunch of players to the NFL? 

Just now, AuburnTiger4Life said:

How many top 5 recruiting classes has lsu had the past 10 years? What do they have to show for it besides sending a bunch of players to the NFL? 

True

47 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I wasn't so much saying it had to be #1 or bust, but to be 5th in your conference and 4th in your own division - that has to improve.

Could be worse.

We could be Purdue.  14th in the Big TEN... Think about it.

HaHa!

9 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Certainly a team that has not maximized their talent enough...esp. on offense. 

5 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Certainly a team that has not maximized their talent enough...esp. on offense. 

Shows you just how far an average quarterback can bring down an otherwise elite team.

13 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

So you think they'd have done better with lower rated classes?

The star argument has been beat to death.

@TitanTiger 247 composite has us at 9 and A&M at 11 and they have 27 according to 247.  Where were you seeing them ahead of us?  They only show us with 23, but I don't think they've included the LS.  

What's our official total # of signees for the 2017 class currently?  24?

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

INSIDESOURCE23 on the Bunker says, "Parks is still on the table."

You're just trying to get me to keep clicking over here, aren't you? ;)

12 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

So you think they'd have done better with lower rated classes?

The star argument has been beat to death.

@TitanTiger 247 composite has us at 9 and A&M at 11 and they have 27 according to 247.  Where were you seeing them ahead of us?  They only show us with 23, but I don't think they've included the LS.  

What's our official total # of signees for the 2017 class currently?  24?

Just my take but with LSU isn't not as much about the stars and them not panning out but more so with the fact they were not utilized properly and to it's highest potential at LSU. Speaking more towards scheme and playcalling on offense. 

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

INSIDESOURCE23 on the Bunker says, "Parks is still on the table."

I assume this isn't the same person as Austudent23?

So if Moultry gets boosted up to a 5* that will increase his chances of going to the NFL and will perhaps move us up a notch in the rankings....and thus we will be able to win more football games?     Some how I'm having trouble with that.....

Few take home points:

1) good class, not elite. Our depth is the 3-4 star territory while Uat is at the 4-5 star territory and until that changes, we are all hoping for 2nd place.

2) Ga has a legit recruiter again. That concerns me. We have to beat them on the field, have a good season and get us a recruiter who can compete over there again. I don't know if Ga can keep it going, but an impressive showing this year for sure.

3) teams like Ole Miss, Arky and Miss State did not perform well. Very interesting imo.

4) Ashley and Stidham are immediate impact players and I'm excited to see them.

5) the changes with early enrollment and upcoming changes to the process for next year means that this year might be the last big signing day. I'm sad and happy to see it end at the same time.

6) the Parks situation is par for the course. It doesn't make any logical sense for a player of his magnitude to pick a grey shirt. I don't want to believe kickbacks had anything to do with it, but geez that's crazy.

7) considering the last few years lack of success, change overs in the coaching staff at critical recruiting positions and the hot seat talk for Gus, I think being anywhere near the top 10 is a major success for this year. We need to get it done on the field, particularly against our rivals.

Oh and I think the early enrollment and early commitments this year made signing day anticlimactic, and that put a damper on the usual excitement. Imagine if Stidham signed with us today on tv, we'd be rolling Toomers.

Archived