NSD 2017 discussion thread

ellitor

From here on out (just like PTB stated) it's all about W's! Beat UGA and maybe turdtown combined with a win at Clemson next season and this team could really do a 180.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Oh and I think the early enrollment and early commitments this year made signing day anticlimactic, and that put a damper on the usual excitement. Imagine if Stidham signed with us today on tv, we'd be rolling Toomers.

Heck yes we would.

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

5) the changes with early enrollment and upcoming changes to the process for next year means that this year might be the last big signing day. I'm sad and happy to see it end at the same time.

What changes to the process are happening starting next year?

4 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

From here on out (just like PTB stated) it's all about W's! Beat UGA and maybe turdtown combined with a win at Clemson next season and this team could really do a 180.

I have a good feeling, best I've had since the season before NM took us to the ship. We were young and less talented last season and still managed to finish 2nd in the SEC west. can't wait for A-Day 

Weagle, I don't know the specifics, but in April the NCAA is likely to make signing a 3-day process in december. Also, high school seniors are getting their grades in earlier and earlier so that they can get on campus and hit the ground running. It won't end natl signing day, but I don't think it will be the super bowl of recruiting like years past.

We also need to prepare ourselves that we are now going up against 3 of the best recruiters in the business and they happen to be at our 3 biggest rivals. O will have his choice of LA and Mobile, Kirby will have his choice of GA, and Nick will ride the Red machine to whomever he wants.  We won't consistently out recruit them, but we can out coach them.  The wins on the field will be the only way to dampen their recruiting and bolster ours.

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

We also need to prepare ourselves that we are now going up against 3 of the best recruiters in the business and they happen to be at our 3 biggest rivals. O will have his choice of LA and Mobile, Kirby will have his choice of GA, and Nick will ride the Red machine to whomever he wants.  We won't consistently out recruit them, but we can out coach them.  The wins on the field will be the only way to dampen their recruiting and bolster ours.

Anyway we can get Joe Whitt out of retirement to be an off field recruiting analyst?  We could at least get back into Mobile.

13 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Anyway we can get Joe Whitt out of retirement to be an off field recruiting analyst?  We could at least get back into Mobile.

He is very uninterested. And not a huge fan of Gus as of feb last year.  Used to help him manage his bass ponds.

19 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Anyone know why ESPN shows us with 21 commits? Do we not have 23?

My guess is they aren't counting Manning and the other guy who committed to us last year but had to reenroll at a later point in time. Maybe I am wrong, When E gets back from his mini vacation he can correct me.

5 hours ago, AidiAU said:

But wouldn't he be like a backup to the backup to the backup?

If a spot doesn't open up, I hope it's confirmed that his family chose to pay tuition to be a backup to the backup to the backup. 

If you think his family is paying for his first year tuition then I have some ocean front property in Blount County I will sell you real cheap. 

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Weagle, I don't know the specifics, but in April the NCAA is likely to make signing a 3-day process in december. Also, high school seniors are getting their grades in earlier and earlier so that they can get on campus and hit the ground running. It won't end natl signing day, but I don't think it will be the super bowl of recruiting like years past.

Don't you think the 3* recruits will want to use the early signing period to insure their spot before the 4* and 5* recruits wait for the glory of NSD. I'm curious to see how offers and signings in the early signing period will be handled. 

4 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Each year 3 star players out play many 5 stars in college football yet people still buy the rankings BS. It's all about player development. I think one reason for this is a lot of the top 300 players didn't have hard competition in high school (small region, small school, etc.) so they're obviously gonna be 10X bigger and better than everyone in HS. Just my opinion. 

Interesting note to this. The average (HS) star rating of the starters in the Super Bowl was 2.9.  I think there are only two starters who were 5* coming out of HS. 

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

INSIDESOURCE23 on the Bunker says, "Parks is still on the table."

Any continuing merit to this?  Can our coaches continue to recruit him since he did not really sign with anyone?

36 minutes ago, around4ever said:

If you think his family is paying for his first year tuition then I have some ocean front property in Blount County I will sell you real cheap. 

No, I totally don't think they are. My comment meant that I want it flipping investigated. Too sketchy. 

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

My guess is they aren't counting Manning and the other guy who committed to us last year but had to reenroll at a later point in time. Maybe I am wrong, When E gets back from his mini vacation he can correct me.

Thanks for the reply. I count 23 not including Manning. Only thing o can figure out is maybe they aren't counting our jucos.

3 hours ago, aubie17 said:

Any continuing merit to this?  Can our coaches continue to recruit him since he did not really sign with anyone?

Parks can go anywhere he wants to, and accept a scholarship offer from any school that offers him. There is nothing at all binding about a "greyshirt". The NCAA does not even recognize the term. He's just as open for recruitment as he was two days ago.

2 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Thanks for the reply. I count 23 not including Manning. Only thing o can figure out is maybe they aren't counting our jucos.

I think we had to count Manning. We started the day with 20, added four and now we're at 24. Exactly who they aren't counting and why I'm not sure. Maybe they forgot that Taylor signed today? He wasn't expected to sign this time, but now he did. Maybe they aren't counting Stidham since he didn't play JUCO ball. Anyway, I'm pretty sure we have used 24 of our 25 available slots.

If you count 23 not including Manning, then we are on the same page as I'm counting 24 including Manning.

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Parks can go anywhere he wants to, and accept a scholarship offer from any school that offers him. There is nothing at all binding about a "greyshirt". The NCAA does not even recognize the term. He's just as open for recruitment as he was two days ago.

Thanks for your explanation.  Any word on whether the pursuit will continue from our coaches?  

11 hours ago, aubie17 said:

I don't think so.  I would be surprised at least.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I don't think so.  I would be surprised at least.

Well, the question was "Can we continue to recruit him?" and the answer is we, and everybody else in the game certainly CAN. We may decide not to, or may have already decided not to but that's our call. According to NCAA rules he's as open to recruiting as he's even been.

Just now, Mikey said:

Well, the question was "Can we continue to recruit him?" and the answer is we, and everybody else in the game certainly CAN. We may decide not to, or may have already decided not to but that's our call. According to NCAA rules he's as open to recruiting as he's even been.

Yeah, he's still available technically.  I just don't think it's going to happen at this point.  We had a chance in the heat of the moment yesterday, but I think the kid is determined to go to the Crapstone.  I also think he's getting played for a sucker.

He has to, what with the Eiffel Tower and all.  Again, we're raising a generation that craves notoriety without consideration to the repercussions (Hey everybody gets a "do over").  Because of that, there's no shame in anything any more.  I don't wish ill for the kid, just wish a few coming up behind him will learn from it.  No way though....

Archived