NSD 2017 discussion thread

ellitor

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I can understand your point but this has been known about Craig for the longest as far as what his aspirations are. I completely get biding your time for the opportunity but we pushed very hard to get Craig away from FSU where he was on a pretty good career track to getting a chance to be an OC. Maybe not at FSU but somewhere. I'm sure both parties had some fault in the situation but i do mostly put it on Gus b/c although Craig may not be some QB guru i do feel that we could have utilized him more and some of his suggestions considering how inept our offense had become. That's on Gus b/c we had to end up changing OC's anyway and now we don't have a top recruiter on offense right now. 

His resume so far:

Two years as QB coach at Tuskegee
Two years as WR coach at South Alabama
Three years at FSU as QB coach
Three years at Auburn as WR coach and (title only) Co-OC
One year at LSU as WR coach

That's not the resume of someone who can realistically expect an SEC offensive coordinator slot.  Not right now.  He hasn't called plays anywhere.

So, no I don't put it on Gus.  If Gus were the only one in this thing who couldn't get along with him, that might be a valid point.  But when FSU doesn't fight to keep him from us, Gus lets him walk, and now LSU seems prepared to do the same, it starts to look to me like it's Craig that is the constant here.  The schools are just a changing variable giving us the same results.

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Love T-will.  Doing a great job so far.  

love twill he is proving it kodi is not.

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

It doesn't make any differents. Gus may might not be at Auburn when the 2018 season comes around.

This is exactly what I was alluding to.  Do you talk to Jacobs?  Then how would you or anyone else here know what the expectations are for the football team next year.  We negative "recruit" our own team from a fan base perspective we don't need other schools doing it to us.   Pitlful and loser mentality.  

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

back to my other point why replace him with kodi? we need a proven guy. auburn is not the place to cut your teeth. you would agree right? we should be hiring known finished products as coaches.

Now, who he hired to replace him is a different argument from saying he shouldn't have let CDC go.  If he's going to let him walk, he should have hired a guy who can recruit just as well as the guy he's losing.

Just now, corchjay said:

This is exactly what I was alluding to.  Do you talk to Jacobs?  Then how would you or anyone else here know what the expectations are for the football team next year.  We negative "recruit" our own team from a fan base perspective we don't need other schools doing it to us.   Pitlful and loser mentality.  

no loser mentality is accepting 8-5. people are negative for a reason it is not coming out of thin air.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

@ellitor, perhaps as the LOI's come in you could update your first post with the signees and who is still out there for us.

The original plan was this to be a discussion only thread and the pinned & locked AU 2017 NSD signee thread to be for only listing signees like RIR has done for years. But when I woke up the signees were placed in this OP in this thread so I just merged the 2 threads since the other thread essentially became useless.

Just now, ellitor said:

The original plan was this to be a discussion only thread and the pinned & locked AU 2017 NSD signee thread to be for only listing signees like RIR has done for years. But when I woke up the signees were placed in this OP in this thread so I just merged the 2 threads since the other thread essentially became useless.

Sorry, E.  I didn't know the plan.  I just saw you weren't on the board and LOIs were coming in so I took up the slack.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

love twill he is proving it kodi is not.

Agreed.  However  I have been impressed with effort and "catching" by our WR's other then late in the season and I think that was because of the difference in not getting balls thrown their way from the same QB in practice.  There is a timing to it at this level.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Sorry, E.  I didn't know the plan.  I just saw you weren't on the board and LOIs were coming in so I took up the slack.

#teamwork

17 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It really was.  And it's coloring the perception of the class overall.  It's a very good class and one that isn't padded - we filled most needs with high quality, highly rated players.  But the finish isn't what we're used to and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.  We should have been able to pull at least one of the DE prospects:  Markaviest Bryant or Ryan Johnson.  And the performance in the state of Georgia needs to be fixed ASAP.  If they approve the 10th coach, we have to go find a kick-ass recruiter for that slot.

This × 100. You cannot be successful at Auburn unless you recruit GA well. Gus should make that state a top priority. Pat Dye knew it, so did Tuberville. Probably won't beat UGA there much, but should always be no.2 in that state if you are going to play with the big boys. On the other hand I like this class. We missed on some that we should have gotten, but I think we  definitely picked up three elite players in Ashley, Moultry, and Stidham. Barrett may also be better than some think. All that being said. Time for Garner to go to work on that DL for next years class.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Just starting to hear some chatter that we might get one or two surprises.

totally off the script? Since I assume bryant is all lsu right now.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

no loser mentality is accepting 8-5. people are negative for a reason it is not coming out of thin air.

QB play.  Its the end all be all in college football for 99% of the teams.  You have a high quality guy you win, you don't and you'll lose.  JJ6 set us back 2 years.  That's the bottom line.  And no that's not all the fault of Gus.  Some guys have in practice but whatever happen at the start of 2015 season completely ruined JJ.  

Gus has addressed every issue on this team from a head coach perspective.  Has overseen the improvement of the defense, balanced the recruiting that was left with a huge hole from the previous staff to many star chasers and not enough needs filled, has been a great disciplinarian, has been a great ambassador for our program, and for once the national media seems to respect our coach and he gets the benefit of the doubt from them... it's his own fan base that doesn't have his back.   

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Yeah. I should have done this thing called comminicate. HaHa. No worries and biggie though.

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

why did we never get in on aubrey solomon and make any headway? he is right down the road only a couple hours away.

It's a down year for D lineman remember? 

Just now, ellitor said:

Yeah. I should have done this thing called comminicate. HaHa. No worries and biggie though.

I was hoping you had kidnapped Bryant and taken him to the beach.

Unless you've been living under a rock, Gus' stats over the last 3 year speaks for itself. 8-5, 7-6 and 8-5 overall and 4-4, 2-6, 5-3 in the SEC. I have nothing against the plays we signed this morning, but when you stand back and don't do anything to keep your top recruiters/coaches on your staff, then your going to have a low recruiting out put and you could very well have another 8 win season to look forward too. I would think that even Jay Jacobs would realize this fact. But come to think of it, I am talking about JJ though.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

Yeah.  And I'm not certain how good the info is.

probaly wishful thinking more than anything with how our close has gone.

Highly unlikely, but I hope we make some serious moves on this signing day. Overall, this is a pretty weak recruiting class. "Worst" in recent history I think.

Archived