NSD 2017 discussion thread

ellitor

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Maybe a couple surprises would be good.  Got to be some kind of reference that it's possible from coach Hand's "closer" comment earlier...

Hand has already earned his paycheck. He is sitting back and taking it easy at this point.

Not a recruitnik but just thought I'd add 2 measly cents...

Seems like a 100% solid, if not great, class to me.  Nobody can compare themselves to the you-know-whos of the world in recruiting (the reasons why are debatable) so I don't even try.

Bottom line, AU filled needs with excellent potential (as ALL recruits are) and they seem to have laid the groundwork for a desperately needed change in offensive mentality for this coming season, much as they did defensively the past 2 seasons.

And finally.... Personally, I'm bored with "champion" recruiting classes only to he followed by mediocre (or less) actual football.  Maybe AU is reversing the trend this year with a good balance of solid coaching to go with solid recruiting.  I'll take that over the great recruiters who maybe aren't the best coaches any day.

War Eagle!

1 minute ago, logan adams said:

Highly unlikely, but I hope we make some serious moves on this signing day. Overall, this is a pretty weak recruiting class. "Worst" in recent history I think.

It has been pretty disappointing in some areas, just like our season.

The saving graces are that we got the QB that we wanted and are no longer losing to AL on stud linebackers. We are going to have an amazing group of linebackers for the next few years

Just now, Randman5000 said:

It has been pretty disappointing in some areas, just like our season.

The saving graces are that we got the QB that we wanted and are no longer losing to AL on stud linebackers. We are going to have an amazing group of linebackers for the next few years

Agreed. Linebacker recruiting is exceptional, just every other position is pretty "Eh". Really hoping to see Jarrett Stidham pan out. It's helpful that all of our skill position players are young, but we NEED to spend every recruiting year rebuilding the depth. Next years class better be stacked. 

Just now, logan adams said:

Agreed. Linebacker recruiting is exceptional, just every other position is pretty "Eh". Really hoping to see Jarrett Stidham pan out. It's helpful that all of our skill position players are young, but we NEED to spend every recruiting year rebuilding the depth. Next years class better be stacked. 

OL and QB is meh?

And next years regional (southeast) talent on the defensive line is much better.  

Just now, gctiger said:

Just heard that bammur doesn't have room for DE J. Parks.  He might make for a nice last minute surprise.

2 minutes ago, logan adams said:

Yeah. We saw what a good D line can do for a team. It was nice to finally yell Sack!!!!

18 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

His resume so far:

Two years as QB coach at Tuskegee
Two years as WR coach at South Alabama
Three years at FSU as QB coach
Three years at Auburn as WR coach and (title only) Co-OC
One year at LSU as WR coach

That's not the resume of someone who can realistically expect an SEC offensive coordinator slot.  Not right now.  He hasn't called plays anywhere.

So, no I don't put it on Gus.  If Gus were the only one in this thing who couldn't get along with him, that might be a valid point.  But when FSU doesn't fight to keep him from us, Gus lets him walk, and now LSU seems prepared to do the same, it starts to look to me like it's Craig that is the constant here.  The schools are just a changing variable giving us the same results.

I've never lobbied for him to be our OC. I'm just saying that his goals were never hidden. Gus knew what he desired when he went hard after Craig. My blame with Gus regarding Craig was completely shutting him out at being involved at all with the offense. Why give him the added title and totally don't involve him in some way in the offense? Craig could've still been a top recruiter at FSU where he was able to provide some input to the offense. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Typical Saban garbage.  Yet he gets a pass because he wins...  Couldn't be a more accurate example of the entire university and fan base. 

21 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

no loser mentality is accepting 8-5. people are negative for a reason it is not coming out of thin air.

No one is accepting 8-5. Have not seen it anywhere. Now back to recruiting.

24 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

His resume so far:

Two years as QB coach at Tuskegee
Two years as WR coach at South Alabama
Three years at FSU as QB coach
Three years at Auburn as WR coach and (title only) Co-OC
One year at LSU as WR coach

That's not the resume of someone who can realistically expect an SEC offensive coordinator slot.  Not right now.  He hasn't called plays anywhere.

So, no I don't put it on Gus.  If Gus were the only one in this thing who couldn't get along with him, that might be a valid point.  But when FSU doesn't fight to keep him from us, Gus lets him walk, and now LSU seems prepared to do the same, it starts to look to me like it's Craig that is the constant here.  The schools are just a changing variable giving us the same results.

I just don't buy the notion Gus didn't know what he was getting when he went full force to try to get Craig. Gus put in a ton of effort just to get Craig.

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

I've never lobbied for him to be our OC. I'm just saying that his goals were never hidden. Gus knew what he desired when he went hard after Craig. My blame with Gus regarding Craig was completely shutting him out at being involved at all with the offense. Why give him the added title and totally don't involve him in some way in the offense? Craig could've still been a top recruiter at FSU where he was able to provide some input to the offense. 

I think it's fine being ambitious.  But if you're ambitious but unrealistic, and add being a pain in the arse to the list, can you really blame people for telling him to go elsewhere?  Only thing I fault Gus for with this is that he didn't replace him with someone of similar gravitas on the recruiting trail.

Typical Saban garbage.  Yet he gets a pass because he wins...  Couldn't be a more accurate example of the entire university and fan base. 

No signing day is complete without some bammer drama like this. 

Just now, corchjay said:

this dude is a high 4 star. this stuff is crazy when he can just turn studs like this away.

3 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Just heard that bammur doesn't have room for DE J. Parks.  He might make for a nice last minute surprise.

Says he is supposed to announce at 11 AM EST. Is this still the case?

Was hoping the Parks thing would be a secret until it actually happened, if FSU and Bama don't have room we've got a chance at this kid.

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Was hoping the Parks thing would be a secret until it actually happened, if FSU and Bama don't have room we've got a chance at this kid.

It's hard to keep much of anything secret on signing day.  

45 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I can't for the life of me understand the over abundance of love for Craig... he said every negative thing on the planet while at FSU about us.  Comes here does a great job recruiting but is horrible in his real job being a football coach.  He left his alma mater for a lateral job because he got his feelings hurt.  I loved how good he was as a player and he will forever be a part of the family but Gus is the family now and I will trust him.  That's just my 2 cents...

I do think he has a ways to go at becoming a viable candidate for a decent OC job. The negative recruiting against us while at FSU is just apart of the job. He had a job to do and he did it. Didn't bother me. Simply didn't work out here. 

I wouldn't say it's heartbreaking but he did wait til the last day to commit so a little is on him.  

True, but my heart does heart for the kid. I mean he CRIED during his (not) announcement. But, COME ON OVER!

Archived