NSD 2017 discussion thread

ellitor

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, autigersj said:

So strange this cycle. It feels like such a lackluster finish. 

It really was.  And it's coloring the perception of the class overall.  It's a very good class and one that isn't padded - we filled most needs with high quality, highly rated players.  But the finish isn't what we're used to and leaves a bad taste in your mouth.  We should have been able to pull at least one of the DE prospects:  Markaviest Bryant or Ryan Johnson.  And the performance in the state of Georgia needs to be fixed ASAP.  If they approve the 10th coach, we have to go find a kick-ass recruiter for that slot.

Hopefully this "close" makes Gus learn his lesson and not to run off our only ELITE recruiter who is also a former Auburn legend. It must of been pretty bad for him to take a lateral move after signing a all star class last cycle.

I think that leaves us with two commits left to sign their letters. Gonzalez and Leonard.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hopefully this "close" makes Gus learn his lesson and not to run off our only ELITE recruiter who is also a former Auburn legend. It must of been pretty bad for him to take a lateral move after signing a all star class last cycle.

I don't think that can all be put on Gus.  Craig seems to have a habit of rubbing folks the wrong way and having career expectations that are out of line with his resume right now.  Reportedly, he let it be known to Coach O that he wanted the OC job there at LSU.  He was basically told he was welcome to seek an OC job anywhere he wanted to, but he wasn't getting this one.  And there are rumors that after NSD, he may end up at Oregon (Bama and UGA have also been mentioned).

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

I think that leaves us with two commits left to sign their letters. Gonzalez and Leonard.

leonard is in and carlos tweeted he has signed his but I guess has not sent it yet.

1 minute ago, autigeremt said:

Leonard signed his.  Only waiting on Gonzalez.

I can't for the life of me understand the over abundance of love for Craig... he said every negative thing on the planet while at FSU about us.  Comes here does a great job recruiting but is horrible in his real job being a football coach.  He left his alma mater for a lateral job because he got his feelings hurt.  I loved how good he was as a player and he will forever be a part of the family but Gus is the family now and I will trust him.  That's just my 2 cents...

2 minutes ago, autigersj said:

So strange this cycle. It feels like such a lackluster finish. 

The finish may be lackluster but the class isn't we got quality players across the board who love Auburn. We hit our biggest needs except maybe Safety. Stud QB, Stud RB, Stud O-Line, Stud LB other very good to stud O-Line and LB some really solid DB's Great special teams players kicker and LS and two solid D-Line in a weak D-Line year. We got a couple of DB's that are Safety types but because of how many we will lose next year we could use at least 1 more.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

I don't think that can all be put on Gus.  Craig seems to have a habit of rubbing folks the wrong way and having career expectations that are out of line with his resume right now.  Reportedly, he let it be known to Coach O that he wanted the OC job there at LSU.  He was basically told he was welcome to seek an OC job anywhere he wanted to, but he wasn't getting this one.  And there are rumors that after NSD, he may end up at Oregon (Bama and UGA have also been mentioned).

I will agree gus and dcraig personalities do not mesh whatsoever. I criticize gus for going for comfort over the better recruiter/coach. Make it work for the guy who is far and away your best recruiter. mgriff to greg brown... well that has been disucssed ad naseum

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I will agree gus and dcraig personalities do not mesh whatsoever. I criticize gus for going for comfort over the better recruiter/coach. Make it work for the guy who is far and away your best recruiter. mgriff to greg brown... well that has been disucssed ad naseum

But when FSU doesn't make a huge effort to hang on to him, then Auburn lets him walk, and now LSU is apparently willing to do the same, you have to ask yourself whether he's so abrasive to the head coach everywhere he goes that no one apparently thinks his recruiting prowess is worth it.

But when FSU doesn't make a huge effort to hang on to him, then Auburn lets him walk, and now LSU is apparently willing to do the same, you have to ask yourself whether he's so abrasive to the head coach that no one apparently thinks his recruiting prowess is worth it.

that edge though is what makes him such a great recruiter. his swag is what draws recruits to him.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

that edge though is what makes him such a great recruiter. his swag is what draws recruits to him.

All I'm saying is...it looks like three straight head coaches had enough of his s***.  I can hardly blame Gus for being one of them in a pattern like that.  There are plenty of great recruiters out there that don't annoy the living hell out of their bosses.

All I'm saying is...it looks like three straight head coaches had enough of his s***.  I can hardly blame Gus for being one of them in a pattern like that.  There are plenty of great recruiters out there that don't annoy the living hell out of their bosses.

back to my other point why replace him with kodi? we need a proven guy. auburn is not the place to cut your teeth. you would agree right? we should be hiring known finished products as coaches.

why did we never get in on aubrey solomon and make any headway? he is right down the road only a couple hours away.

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I can understand your point but this has been known about Craig for the longest as far as what his aspirations are. I completely get biding your time for the opportunity but we pushed very hard to get Craig away from FSU where he was on a pretty good career track to getting a chance to be an OC. Maybe not at FSU but somewhere. I'm sure both parties had some fault in the situation but i do mostly put it on Gus b/c although Craig may not be some QB guru i do feel that we could have utilized him more and some of his suggestions considering how inept our offense had become. That's on Gus b/c we had to end up changing OC's anyway and now we don't have a top recruiter on offense right now. 

• ellitor locked and unlocked this topic

Maybe Kodi "Cat" grows up this year.  I hate that nickname because of the guy on here that gave it to him.  But maybe he learns the ropes of what it takes to great coach and recruiter quickly.  He probably got to his spot a little quicker then normal but if the goofs in our fan base aren't calling for someone to be fired every time we lose a game or look a little out of whack with a young team maybe our recruiting wouldn't fall off the cliff at the end of the season.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

back to my other point why replace him with kodi? we need a proven guy. auburn is not the place to cut your teeth. you would agree right? we should be hiring known finished products as coaches.

There is a certain LB coach that is cutting his teeth that seems to be orking out pretty well. I think KB will work out very well also under the direction of our new OC. War Eagle. IGTBAAT! Very happy with this class by the way!!

Archived