2017 3* TE John Samuel Shenker Signs with AU (Updated)

ellitor

UPDATED (1/29/17) ...

“On Friday, before I came here, I thought this was the place for me. I just want to make sure. It’s been a while since I thought about Auburn. It’s a fast process, but I knew this was the place for me,” Shenker said. “This morning, I told Malzahn I wanted to be a Tiger. It was a great experience…He was pumped.”

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-john-samuel-shenker-explains-commitment

John Samuel Shenker

John Samuel Shanker, TE
Moultrie, GA (Colquitt County)
Ht 6-3 Wt 245

247Sports: 3*
Rivals: 3*
Scout: 3*

• Recieved an AU Football offer 1/23/17 (OC Chip Lindsey's first)
  • Previously committed to play Auburn Baseball
  • Coached by Rush Probst
  • 2016 Stats: 30 catches, 451 Yards and 2 TDs

"Coach Lindsey thought I fit his style of play-calling perfectly because they run a lot of stuff where they use only one tight end," Lindsey told AL.com this week. "When they do that, they don't want to rotate people in... If I can do all three things they don't have to rotate so it can be a fast-paced offense."

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/01/auburn_john_samuel_shenker.html

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good sign that Lasater is out the window. I hope we get this one then. Our offense works best with a good HB/FB type. Whose doesn't? (And no, I am not a fan of signing another pure TE instead of at least one H-Back prospect.)

On 1/23/2017 at 5:26 PM, tinman said:

Coached by Rush Propst.  Hope we get him at AU. Shenker that is.  Not Rush.

Aaaand there's the Propst Lindsey connection.

JSS likely to OV this weekend per AU 247

Auburn has offered 2017 tight end John Samuel Shenker of Moultrie (Ga.) Colquitt County, he Tweeted on Monday.

The 6-feet-3, 245-pound Shenker is the No. 94 tight end in the 247Sports Composite. He can play tight end or H-back.

Shenker's offer came Monday directly from new Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey. Tight ends coach Scott Fountain then met with Shenker on Monday afternoon.

"I was very excited," Shenker said. "All the hard work has paid off."

Shenker probably will visit Auburn soon.

"I think I'm heading there this weekend," he said.

22 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't expect to get Lassiter

Yep looks like we have our answer on Lasater.

Not against taking another TE.  If we really use a TE then an injury could put us in a bind.  That being said, how can you pass up an athlete like CL who can play anywhere with 4.5 speed? And not much smaller than Shenker.  I hope CGM has a good apology for leading this kid and his family down the primrose lane.  And I sure hope we didn't play a role in his decommit from Michigan.

7 minutes ago, autan said:

Not against taking another TE.  If we really use a TE then an injury could put us in a bind.  That being said, how can you pass up an athlete like CL who can play anywhere with 4.5 speed? And not much smaller than Shenker.  I hope CGM has a good apology for leading this kid and his family down the primrose lane.  And I sure hope we didn't play a role in his decommit from Michigan.

Now I wonder what role Cox will have in 2017? 

3 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Qb on 3rd and long.  Whirlybird for days.

(Sarcasm)

2 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Wondering the same thing. If we shelve the HB/FB position does our 4* Cox transfer out or just work special teams?  I suspect Pettway, Stidham, White, etc. might not be jumping for joy without his blocking.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Pretty good sign that Lasater is out the window. I hope we get this one then. Our offense works best with a good HB/FB type. Whose doesn't? (And no, I am not a fan of signing another pure TE instead of at least one H-Back prospect.)

I agree.  I still remember what Eric Smith did in 2010.

Yeah, I remember the bad stuff too but, he did a lot more good.  Ferocious blocker.  

29 minutes ago, autan said:

Wondering the same thing. If we shelve the HB/FB position does our 4* Cox transfer out or just work special teams?  I suspect Pettway, Stidham, White, etc. might not be jumping for joy without his blocking.

Why would Cox want to leave? I think his role /position is very much locked down. I do not think our coaching staff would ever want to lose Cox. This does not remotely make sense. Our entire offense is focused on having an HB/TE position. I cannot see Gus changing things that drastic in his offense at the risk of losing Cox.

6 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Why would Cox want to leave? I think his role /position is very much locked down. I do not think our coaching staff would ever want to lose Cox. This does not remotely make sense. Our entire offense is focused on having an HB/TE position. I cannot see Gus changing things that drastic in his offense at the risk of losing Cox.

Had been mentioned that Lindsey preferred a TE for the HB position versus a FB type. Reason why Auburn moved on from Lasater. 

28 minutes ago, aufan57 said:

Had been mentioned that Lindsey preferred a TE for the HB position versus a FB type. Reason why Auburn moved on from Lasater. 

Thanks....I hope that the coaching staff can figure out a way to get Mr. Cox on the field as many times throughout the game. I think that BC could become a TE with a little coaching up. He is just too much of a talent to risk having him to transfer out. I think our staff can create ways to keep him on the field. I hate to lose him very much and feel that Gus and company can keep Mr. Cox happy and on the field as much as possible. Heck, he might even make a pretty good DE or LB with his size and speed. 

1 hour ago, autan said:

likely not shelving the HB. There are other factors involved...Cox will be fine.

1 hour ago, aufan57 said:

It could be a factor but not the only 1 IMO.

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

Kid has some wheels too, good looking prospect. 

I thought he was slow footed myself.

Archived