2017 3* TE John Samuel Shenker Signs with AU (Updated)

ellitor

Interview with SECCountry

John Samuel Shenker’s recruitment is coming full circle.

The 6-foot-3, 245-pound tight end out of Moultrie (Ga.) began conversations with Auburn during his sophomore year of high school — as a baseball player. Shenker committed to the baseball Tigers that school year. About a year and a half ago, Shenker de-committed when he decided to take the football route at the next level.

Spencer’s recruitment picked up with communication with several schools. He started talking with Auburn tight ends coach Scott Fountain shortly after Landon Rice left the program. Early in 2017, Shenker has received offers from Western Kentucky, Wake Forest and FAU. He took an official visit to Georgia Southern.

On Monday, new Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey stopped by to see Shenker and extended the tight end an offer.

“Well it’s kind of funny that it happened this way,” Shenker said. “Oh, I was so happy. It’s a great school. It’s the school I always wanted to go to when I was a young little boy. It was a great feeling (to get the offer). … I didn’t think it would happen as a football player.”

Lindsey’s first 2017 offer since taking over as offensive coordinator gives some insight into what he wants from the position. Auburn has hesitated with fullback Chase Lasater, which shows the Tigers might go in another direction. Lasater said Sunday that part of the holdup was the Tigers’ potential desire to add another tight end instead of a fullback. Shenker’s offer supports that theory.

But Shenker sees himself more as the blocking type. Under head coach Rush Propst at Colquitt County, Shenker served in an H-back-type role, which included mostly blocking responsibilities. He was split out wide at times and offers that versatility if requested, though the addition of the pass-catching Salvatore Cannella in this class makes Shenker feel like a yin-and-yang addition at tight end.

Lindsey told Shenker he’d use him primarily as a blocker.

“He said he thought I was a guy who could do a lot of different things. I can block down the field. I can block and be an H-back. I can be a tight end. They can split me out, so that’s what he’s looking for,” Shenker said. “I’m more of a H-back blocking. During my high school career, I’m mostly doing motion stuff at H-back. I’m more in the trenches.”

Shenker will take his official visit this weekend with his parents.

As of now, Auburn is the clear No. 1 because of his longtime fandom, previous baseball commitment and the stature of the program.

Could a commitment come by the end of the weekend?

“It’s definitely a possibility. Obviously I’ll talk to my parents and all that before we go and gauge the coaches and whatnot. But, yeah, it’s definitely a possibility,” Shenker said. “I really just want to see if I could go there without doing football. Could I just go to school there? Would I enjoy that? If I got hurt or something, I still want to enjoy it. That’s what I’m looking for.”

Shenker is a 3-star prospect. He’s ranked the No. 94 tight end nationally.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are always wanting kids who want to be here. Especially those who have wanted to come to AU since they were kids.   Well...here you go...  

Remember how Lutz and Uzomah was used in backfield as blocker and receiver??? Thats why they want him.  We are gonna move back to more HB and less FB once Cox is gone... There is a reason he is likely getting CL's spot.

If one tight end primarily blocks and the other one primarily receives, won't the defense know this and it make it easier for them to defend a play?  Real question so don't blast me. 

1 minute ago, aubie17 said:

If one tight end primarily blocks and the other one primarily receives, won't the defense know this and it make it easier for them to defend a play?  Real question so don't blast me. 

If you sub like a mad man like Gus did, telegraphing your plays then yes.

24 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I thought maybe he played baseball too... Was not sure.  Thanks for posting the article.  

Duh! on me. He plays baseball & was a former baseball commit.

This is getting interesting...I think we had a strong TE at Auburn when I was a student, he turned out to be a good baseball player.  Frank Thomas I think his name was.  Played somewhere in the Midwest - Chicago area I believe.  Maybe somebody knows for sure.  Great TE though...

Don't we have two TE's coming in this weekend on OVs?  1st come first served again?  We know what happened with that last time. :-\

38 minutes ago, autan said:

Don't we have two TE's coming in this weekend on OVs?  1st come first served again?  We know what happened with that last time. :-\

Shenker is the only 1 known likely visiting. The other likely isn't plus he does not have an AU offer.

Sometimes I think you are just trying to troll.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Yep. AU isn't going to offer. 

I know it's the highlight film but this kid looks very good in it. 

I thought so too.  But for me,. and like the OC hire.. I am not going to second guess any decisions...  This is truly "make your bed" time for Gus...

14 minutes ago, PotPot said:

I don't quite understand taking the #94 TE over the #2 FB when you make it clear that you only want the TE for blocking purposes.

Yup because site rankings are always accurate, and even show how well recruits fit with a town, team, & new coordinator.

10 minutes ago, PotPot said:

I don't quite understand taking the #94 TE over the #2 FB when you make it clear that you only want the TE for blocking purposes.

Well you see it is in the the numbers 94 and 2 themselves. 4 plus 2 is 6. The number 6 is then divided by 2 giving 3. The number 9 is then divided by that number 3 giving us our second answer of 3. Since we have now gotten two answers both of 3. That puts us back at the number 2. Wa La there you have it, using my daughters 3rd grade common core math I have just show you how 94 is the same as 2. Therefore the #94 TE is the same as the #2 HB. I am here all week.

4 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well you see it is in the the numbers 94 and 2 themselves. 4 plus 2 is 6. The number 6 is then divided by 2 giving 3. The number 9 is then divided by that number 3 giving us our second answer of 3. Since we have now gotten two answers both of 3. That puts us back at the number 2. Wa La there you have it, using my daughters 3rd grade common core math I have just show you how 94 is the same as 2. Therefore the #94 TE is the same as the #2 HB. I am here all week.

Well, I must admit, I cannot argue with that logic, lol.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yup because site rankings are always accurate, and even show how well recruits fit with a town, team, & new coordinator.

I fully understand that rankings are not the be all, end all of the story. However, as you have said many times before, stars DO matter. And we seemed to think he was a good fit, otherwise, just a few days ago. Not trying to argue. If he was a true TE then I would just say that we were heading in a different direction. But since it was stated that he was going to be used as a blocker, then I don't understand the trade off.

4 minutes ago, PotPot said:

stars DO matter.

Overall team wise yes. Comparing individuals no.

5 minutes ago, PotPot said:

And we seemed to think he was a good fit, otherwise, just a few days ago.

For a Gus/Rhett O that uses a FB style at HB. Chip uses a TE style for his HBs. Chip is going to have more formation variances for his HBs than Gus/Rhett did. And the Cox Cat does not count as a HB formation variance.

6 minutes ago, PotPot said:

If he was a true TE then I would just say that we were heading in a different direction. But since it was stated that he was going to be used as a blocker, then I don't understand the trade off.

Explained above.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Overall team wise yes. Comparing individuals no.

For a Gus/Rhett O that uses a FB style at HB. Chip uses a TE style for his HBs. Chip is going to have more formation variances for his HBs than Gus/Rhett did. And the Cox Cat does not count as a HB formation variance.

Explained above.

Last post on this. I promise I'm not just trying to argue and I don't think you are either. Yes, when you say stars matter, you are talking about overall team rankings. I understand and agree. But, by default, that means individual rankings have to count for something. I also understand the difference in HB style between FB or TE. IF Shenker was a true TE then it would make more sense. However, what I'm seeing is two guys destined to be blockers. Shenker is an inch taller. Lasater is presumably a good bit faster. Other than that, I don't see the difference. Of course the coaches have every right to just like one more than the other. I'm just saying I don't understand. Thanks. I'll hang up and listen.

1 hour ago, PotPot said:

Last post on this. I promise I'm not just trying to argue and I don't think you are either. Yes, when you say stars matter, you are talking about overall team rankings. I understand and agree. But, by default, that means individual rankings have to count for something. I also understand the difference in HB style between FB or TE. IF Shenker was a true TE then it would make more sense. However, what I'm seeing is two guys destined to be blockers. Shenker is an inch taller. Lasater is presumably a good bit faster. Other than that, I don't see the difference. Of course the coaches have every right to just like one more than the other. I'm just saying I don't understand. Thanks. I'll hang up and listen.

I know you are not trying to argue. We are just having a civil discussion. As for the rest there are different styles of blocking background from a kid who was a FB like Chase as opposed to a kid with a more TE background like JSS. Blocking isn't just blocking across the board especially at HB. Plus what I was talking about in HB formation variance is moving him around when Chip wants to use him in pass plays which JSS is more apt to do than Chase. Just because JSS said he will be used as a blocker does not mean he will only be a blocker.

And no need to be a last post thing. This is how adults are supposed to disagree...calmly.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I know you are not trying to argue. We are just having a civil discussion. As for the rest there are different styles of blocking background from a kid who was a FB like Chase as opposed to a kid with a more TE background like JSS. Blocking isn't just blocking across the board especially at HB. Plus what I was talking about in HB formation variance is moving him around when Chip wants to use him in pass plays which JSS is more apt to do than Chase. Just because JSS said he will be used as a blocker does not mean he will only be a blocker.

And no need to be a last post thing. This is how adults are supposed to disagree...calmly.

Ok this is the last post, lol. I ain't mad or nothing. Just didn't have any more to add. And I needed to at least pretend to be working for a little bit.

Archived