2017 3* WR/KR JaTarvious Whitlow Signs with AU

WarDamnEagleWDE

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry... I can see how that read wrong now. Nope, not a response to you, just anticipating the inevitable outcry from others. 

No problem. I really like the way we recruited this year. It feels like we got a ton of the top talent in the state of alabama regardless of star rankings.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work with a lot of Lafayette ppl and used to play them in football every year when they were in 4a. Im glad we didnt let one of the nearby high school kids get away. With that said, now lets go get butterbean!

6 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

No problem. I really like the way we recruited this year. It feels like we got a ton of the top talent in the state of alabama regardless of star rankings.

Glad to hear the good vibes. I honestly just zoned out this year. It was probably 10:00 AM before I got around to my first recruiting news of the day. But it does seem like we got some serious football players and the top end of the class is as top end as we could have hoped for. 

Dude... WITH YOU on Butterbean. Of course, the last 2 RBs I was this fired up about were Roc Thomas and Jovon Robinson. At least one of them was as good as advertised... sometimes...

I'm very glad we signed Whitlow. For the better pert of a year I've been wondering why Auburn wasn't showing more interest in him. This kid is a football player! Considering the makeup of the rest of this class and last year's too, I'll be surprised if Whitlow doesn't get put at safety when he shows up.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm very glad we signed Whitlow. For the better pert of a year I've been wondering why Auburn wasn't showing more interest in him. This kid is a football player! Considering the makeup of the rest of this class and last year's too, I'll be surprised if Whitlow doesn't get put at safety when he shows up.

I assume Auburn has plans for that since Kevin Steele was the one who called him giving him the offer.

Between Whitlow and Alaric Williams, both guys seem to fill similar roles on offense and defense. I'm guessing one lands on one side of the ball, the other on the other side.

47 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Glad to hear the good vibes. I honestly just zoned out this year. It was probably 10:00 AM before I got around to my first recruiting news of the day. But it does seem like we got some serious football players and the top end of the class is as top end as we could have hoped for. 

Dude... WITH YOU on Butterbean. Of course, the last 2 RBs I was this fired up about were Roc Thomas and Jovon Robinson. At least one of them was as good as advertised... sometimes...

I will do my best on butterbean but auburn needs to invite him to camp or big cat or something. So far i heard he was invited to bamas jr day and not sure if auburn sent out the invitation or not.

11 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Between Whitlow and Alaric Williams, both guys seem to fill similar roles on offense and defense. I'm guessing one lands on one side of the ball, the other on the other side.

If either of them are anything like Rudy Ford, then I'm awfully happy. 

Always look forward to learning about new players on signing day. Kid makes ALOT of people miss in those highlights. Great vision and cutting ability. Looked pretty fast. Some nice hits on D as well. I agree with others that I see him as a Safety type. 

This may be why his offer list was nonexistent (from a poster on SEC Rant):

I may not really sure who's dumber Parks for greyshirting or Auburn for wasting a scholarship on Whitlow who's attitude is absolutely the worst. He literally walked of the field in the beginning of the 4th qtr against Fyffe in the playoffs and left the game. He played qb and if he didn't have the ball he literally handed of and stood and watched. On D he got lit up one time and was done. He's fast and illusive but don't like to get hit or told what to do.

21 minutes ago, metafour said:

I'm surprised you would repost something that from a random poster on the Rant... Sounds like that guy is either an Auburn hater or has issue with Whitlow... This articles tell a much different story:
http://thelafayettesun.com/bulldogs-grind-out-win-over-fayetteville/
Got injured in a game, was pulled out by trainers, came back in the 4th with a bad knee to drive his team down the field, including a 44 yard run on said bad leg, and win the game. That sure doesn't sound like someone who "don't like to get hit". You also don't get class 2A back of the year in the State for taking plays off or walking off in the middle of a game. 

And as far as bad attitude/not liking to be told what to do:
"He's a humble kid," LaFayette coach James Lucas said. "That's what you need with that type of talent and that type of experience, to be able to lead this ball club."

“My dad was always there. He’s the type of man that you really can depend on. Even when I don’t want to do something, he’s like: ‘You need to do this, you need to do that.’ I know I got my little saying from him. I say, ‘I’m not good yet. I’m just all right.’ Because he knows that I can be better than I am right now.”

Oh... and he's also a star basketball player and wants to play both.

I would be more inclined to believe his offer list was non existent because he played for a 2A team in a town of 3,000 and no one there knew how to promote him. He got lucky he was 25 miles away from Auburn.

30 minutes ago, metafour said:

that poster left out the part where he left early due to going to see his brother who was involved in a pretty bad accident on his way to the game.

Just now, bigman334 said:

that poster left out the part where he left early due to going to see his brother who was involved in a pretty bad accident on his way to the game.

Stick to the facts.... ;)

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

For those who've seen him, could he move to RB if necessary? Decent size for it.

he can play several positions but he's best at the WR position and returns. Great return numbers even with teams kicking away. His returns fielded to returns for TD i bet are very good. He also is a pretty good punter. No attitude issue though doesnt mind a little high stepping

I thought it was pretty widely stated that his offer list was diminished by grade concerns, and the fact that we offered when we felt better about his likelihood of qualifying.

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

I assume Auburn has plans for that since Kevin Steele was the one who called him giving him the offer.

Yeah but...

He was set to sign with Tulane until defensive coordinator Kevin Steele called him and informed him Lindsey was interested in signing the quarterback as a receiver with the Tigers.

23 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I would imagine either 1 of the 3 of Whitlow, Iggy, or Alaric Williams gets moved to safety.  

They need to...IMO

19 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Thoughts on who?

I would rather have AW or JW. To me AW seems the most versatile but JW has great size for the position and seems to like contact.

Archived