What do you love about this class?

Barnacle

This season, for whatever reason, I haven't kept up with recruiting much at all. I'm sort of unacquainted with a lot of this year's class. I'm curious, from those who have kept up more closely, what do you love about this class? Who do you love in this class? What are you most excited about?

Personally, I'm the most excited about Moultry, Britt and Bryant sitting behind (or on) the defensive line. We've finally started to make strides in our linebacker play, and I'm happy to see some more talent and depth added to that position. I'm also excited about the recruitment of Cannella. The one thing I hope Lindsey brings back to this offense, is the use of a TE, and the use of the middle of the field in our passing game, especially with Stidham now on the roster. Wish we could have brought in some more playmakers to the outside, but obviously Igbinoghene will be exciting to watch from what I've read. 

Beside the individual stud players Stidham at QB, Barrett at RB, Ashley at O-Line, Moultry at LB, Bryant at DE/Buck we also got an awful lot of very good players who fit our needs some that will help this year and many who I believe will be starters or very good backups in the future. We got multiple players at almost every position and they were all good players.  Who knows maybe 1 or 2 of the lower ranking players may turn out to be diamonds in the rough I see a couple I think that is possible for.

That's easy. In my mind, every class is about finding a few game changing players and quality depth. I think we hit home runs at the three most important positions on offense in Stidham, Ashley, and Barrett. I also think we have an immediate impact guy in Moultry. Beyond that, we brought in a lot of quality players to give depth. Britt isn't likely to start next year or even the year after, but he's going to be right there pushing Deshaun Davis. Askew doesn't have a clear path to a starting job, but he's going to make Daniel Thomas or Stephen Roberts or whoever earn their position. This class is going to have a big impact on special teams and fill rotation spots with quality players.

I think it's a bunch of quality players that obviously wanted to be at Auburn. If we can keep signing classes with this caliber, high-character guys AND coach them up/put them in a position to succeed on game day Auburn will be fine.

8 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

That's easy. In my mind, every class is about finding a few game changing players and quality depth. I think we hit home runs at the three most important positions on offense in Stidham, Ashley, and Barrett. I also think we have an immediate impact guy in Moultry. Beyond that, we brought in a lot of quality players to give depth. Britt isn't likely to start next year or even the year after, but he's going to be right there pushing Deshaun Davis. Askew doesn't have a clear path to a starting job, but he's going to make Daniel Thomas or Stephen Roberts or whoever earn their position. This class is going to have a big impact on special teams and fill rotation spots with quality players.

I don't normally like comparisons, but like I said, I don't have a good feel for a lot of these guys. Who would you compare Barrett to?

4 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't normally like comparisons, but like I said, I don't have a good feel for a lot of these guys. Who would you compare Barrett to?

I'd compare him to Kenny Irons.

As for the OP... ALEX FREAKIN MEDARY!!!!  (Was retweeted by Hand. :dunno: Maybe the next Wade Christopher? Or maybe Wade Christopher was the pre-Alex Medary!!!)

Just now, McLoofus said:

I'd compare him to Kenny Irons.

As for the OP... ALEX FREAKIN MEDARY!!!!  (Was retweeted by Hand. :dunno: Maybe the next Wade Christopher? Or maybe Wade Christopher was the pre-Alex Medary!!!)

THOSE BICEPS THO...

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I would compare Barrett to Kenyan Drake at Bama a couple years ago. While he wasn't a power runner, he could run up the middle well, and take on defenders when he needed to. He was also a very good pass-catcher out of the backfield, and I think that's the kind of back we can expect out of Barrett. A good role player RB early in his career that will develop into a good back. Have to watch the field for the inside run, the outside run, and the pass catch out of the backfield with barrett. 

The other day, I read that ESPN was going to on Auburn's campus for signing day. Well, I've been watching them today and I haven't seen anyone talk to Gus or any other AU coach. What's up with that?

46 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This season, for whatever reason, I haven't kept up with recruiting much at all. I'm sort of unacquainted with a lot of this year's class. I'm curious, from those who have kept up more closely, what do you love about this class? Who do you love in this class? What are you most excited about?

Personally, I'm the most excited about Moultry, Britt and Bryant sitting behind (or on) the defensive line. We've finally started to make strides in our linebacker play, and I'm happy to see some more talent and depth added to that position. I'm also excited about the recruitment of Cannella. The one thing I hope Lindsey brings back to this offense, is the use of a TE, and the use of the middle of the field in our passing game, especially with Stidham now on the roster. Wish we could have brought in some more playmakers to the outside, but obviously Igbinoghene will be exciting to watch from what I've read. 

I don't know who you've been talking to, but I'm not sitting behind (or on) anyone.

:dunno:

Seriously, though, I'm in the same boat as you, Barnacle. I even forgot about NSD until my phone started vibrating like crazy. Looking at the guys now, though, I like the QB, OL, LB, and the fact that we got another stud kicker.

1 minute ago, auburn4ever said:

The other day, I read that ESPN was going to on Auburn's campus for signing day. Well, I've been watching them today and I haven't seen anyone talk to Gus or any other AU coach. What's up with that?

They talked with Gus. It was Cole Cubelic who was on campus.

See I think his ceiling is higher than Drake's because he's more natural between the tackles. Irons isn't a terrible comp, but he reminds me of a guy like Melvin Gordon. Not a huge guy. Makes people miss in tight quarters to grind out yards. Constant home run threat. That's obviously a ceiling because Gordon was a first rounder, but that's the type of player/runner I see.

50 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

You forgot Carlson 2.0. There's nothing more valuable than having a reliable kicker for the next 4-5 years... just ask Saban.

What I like the most is that the most critical need was met.  Regardless of whether White or Stidham wins the QB battle (maybe Woody who knows) we now have good backups.  If we had a backup QB last year who could come in and get the job done we definately beat UGA and have a shot against Bammer.  If Gus could have made a decision on a starter at the first of the year we probably beat Clemson and A&M.  The whole landscape of college football was changed because we had no backup.  Ain't happening next year!  

34 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

See I think his ceiling is higher than Drake's because he's more natural between the tackles. Irons isn't a terrible comp, but he reminds me of a guy like Melvin Gordon. Not a huge guy. Makes people miss in tight quarters to grind out yards. Constant home run threat. That's obviously a ceiling because Gordon was a first rounder, but that's the type of player/runner I see.

To me, what made Kenny so good was how violent he ran, how he attacked the hole, and his ability to stick foot and get north and south immediately. There was never any dancing with him.  

If I were to try and compare him I'd go back to Stacy Danley. 

45 minutes ago, bigbird said:

To me, what made Kenny so good was how violent he ran, how he attacked the hole, and his ability to stick foot and get north and south immediately. There was never any dancing with him.  

Before my time bird. Whoever you compare him to, the consensus seems to be that people are expecting a lot. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Before my time bird. Whoever you compare him to, the consensus seems to be that people are expecting a lot. 

That was back when Auburn's star players had girl first names.

47 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I remember Al Borges talking about having to change the offensive line's blocking angles cause Kenny's cuts were so quick.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Jarrett Freaking Stidham...

x 1 million. 

It is nice to have the stud left tackle and the best LB we have signed in quite some time in the class, but it is all about the QB. He was the most important commit by a mile. After we got him, everything else was gravy. 

Archived