What do you love about this class?

Barnacle

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

This season, for whatever reason, I haven't kept up with recruiting much at all. I'm sort of unacquainted with a lot of this year's class. I'm curious, from those who have kept up more closely, what do you love about this class? Who do you love in this class? What are you most excited about?

Personally, I'm the most excited about Moultry, Britt and Bryant sitting behind (or on) the defensive line. We've finally started to make strides in our linebacker play, and I'm happy to see some more talent and depth added to that position. I'm also excited about the recruitment of Cannella. The one thing I hope Lindsey brings back to this offense, is the use of a TE, and the use of the middle of the field in our passing game, especially with Stidham now on the roster. Wish we could have brought in some more playmakers to the outside, but obviously Igbinoghene will be exciting to watch from what I've read. 

a real, live, SEC quality QB!!!!!!

I'm glad we ended up 4th in the conference. However, I thought we would have done a lot overall then 10th or 11th but I guess we didn't.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

To me, what made Kenny so good was how violent he ran, how he attacked the hole, and his ability to stick foot and get north and south immediately. There was never any dancing with him.  

If I were to try and compare him I'd go back to Stacy Danley. 

dont forget kenny irons would almost get stronger and faster as the game went on.  Thats one thing that stuck out to me. 

Stidham.... for sure.  

I think Gonzalez is going to be a bad man in the defensive backfield in years to come.   He for some reason seems so under the radar.  But IMO he is the real deal as a true safety.  

Linebacker. Britt is the best MLB prospect we've been in on since Reuben Foster. Moultry is scheme versatile and a specimen. Wooten is rangy and athletic, played at a great HS program in GA vs good competition. Add Buck signee Bryant and you have a better crop than the 2015 class we hauled in 

21 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

Linebacker. Britt is the best MLB prospect we've been in on since Reuben Foster. Moultry is scheme versatile and a specimen. Wooten is rangy and athletic, played at a great HS program in GA vs good competition. Add Buck signee Bryant and you have a better crop than the 2015 class we hauled in 

Tre Williams says hi

23 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Tre Williams says hi

He can say hi all he wants. Good Linebacker, great recruit but he is nowhere near as violent as Britt or Foster. If you are truly a "corch" you can cut the film on and see what I'm talking about.

3 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

He can say hi all he wants. Good Linebacker, great recruit but he is nowhere near as violent as Britt or Foster. If you are truly a "corch" you can cut the film on and see what I'm talking about.

I didn't say he was at fosters level but Britt hasn't even suited up yet.  Tre Williams is a fine linebacker.  You saw a big drop if he or D. Davis went out. 

31 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I didn't say he was at fosters level but Britt hasn't even suited up yet.  Tre Williams is a fine linebacker.  You saw a big drop if he or D. Davis went out. 

Valid points. I'll just say this is by far the most well rounded LB class AU has signed in recent memory. WDE

Stidham WHICH IS #1 avail QB Juco or HS

and these are tied for 2nd:

#1 OL on our board and a 'must take' by anyone: Ashley

#1 LB on our board - TD Moultry - a destroyer

#1 Juco TE and I love the pass catching by the other TE: great hands!

Maybe our #1 Buck/pass rusher on our board?  M Bryant

#1 RB on our board - and someone I think will be special.  

Needs filled (for now), seems like no drama kind of players, and some motivated players to make an impact (comments by Ashley,  Moultry today and M Bryant today).  

Not sure we could expect much better.  Great class.  I think the lack of drama has people thinking less.   A bunch of impact players in this group I really believe.

3 hours ago, auskip07 said:

dont forget kenny irons would almost get stronger and faster as the game went on.  Thats one thing that stuck out to me. 

Devan Barrett: 

I went back and watched his clip.  I didn't notice til yesterday how many freaky 40+ yd runs this back had.  Really crazy that he had so many and got there in different ways.  

I agree Stacey Danley comes to mind.  not Irons.  Irons was violent and fun to watch.  I loved watching James Bostic honestly.

Am I wrong or does Barrett remind anyone of smaller Eric Dickerson?  His knees aren't quite as high, but he runs tall and has different gears.  Seems to see the field tremendously well.  Has a knack for what is developing.  So many long runs - wow.  Seems like he played mid level schools - I don't know what that is in FL, maybe  3A..

The best thing I see about this  class is Parks was not in it. To me that would be another kwanjo. I know I didn't spell his name right but he played for the turds so what do I care.

Since stidham is the obvious one I will say the Rbs!!!!! Devan Barrett is the next franchise great Auburn running back!!! he is a gamechanger!  A gamebreaker! I cannot believe how little he has been talked about not by us but by national recruitniks since he committed to us. To me he is one of the best running backs in the country. I also love love love Alaric Williams he tore up his senior season and wrecked teams when he was healthy. He is imo our most underrated recruit. Dude was I think our first or second maybe? commit like almost 2 years ago and besides a little flirtation with nebraska he has been solid as a ox. He is so versatile. He is going to be a special weapon for us even if not necessarily RB full time. One of my favorite rb classes in a long time. WAR EAGLE!

1.  Stidham - we were "an elite QB away from being a playoff contender". Stidham makes these hopes a possibility. 

2a and 2b. - Moultry and Ashley.  Our LB play took a huge step forward this past year and I expect that to continue. TD will be a part of that. 

Ashley, along with our other 2 excellent OL, are going to be very good. Ashley is planning on being a starting OT right out of the gate. We'll see. 

3.  Several other players I really like. It's a solid class. Shout out to M. Bryant for saving our DL class. 

4.  No Drama - We went an entire recruiting season with no mention of tattoos, dance parties, "why hasn't his fax come in yet?", or Trooper Taylor.

A lot of good observations. Y'all have me feeling pretty good.

I wouldn't compare Barrett to Dickerson. Dickerson was a 6'3 220 freight train. I'm the last one to fixate on size at the RB position, but I just don't see a comparison in running styles. I wouldn't compare him to Bostic, either, who was another big guy- actually much stockier than Dickerson and not super elusive (even though he didn't mind breaking big runs in big games in '93... one of the most underrated backs at RBU IMO). I agree that Irons showed a little more violence- GREAT word for him- at Auburn than we see in Barrett's film, but where I see the similarity is a knack for making one cut and getting vertical in a hurry. And maybe the violence will come. Speaking of vertical, I also agree that he runs a little tall. I feel like Kenny did, too, but he obviously made it work. 

Edit: I see that I accidentally stole some lines from @bigbird and @Barnacle. Imitation truly is the sincerest form of flattery in this case. 

18 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Violent is definitely the right word to describe Irons

I remember back when he said before the LSU game he was going to put up 200 yards rushing and then he actually did.

There is a LOT to love about this class. Both QBs sound interesting, with Stidham sounding like someone who can provide immediate help. I like that he has a year of major college experience behind him. Offensive line picks are always good to have. The linebackers sound like they could be good players. The only disappointment I have is no superstar stud DTs. The guys we got may turn out good but then again...  I just believe you can't have too many great DTs.  Still, this class was better than I thought it would be. Looking forward to seeing which ones surprise us. War Eagle!

Besides the two obvious choices here I'd go with Tadarian Moultry. Not sure some of you here know how good of a kid Tadarian is. Will be a leader the day he steps on campus. Type of leader that everyone on the team will look up to. 

Archived